Resource Fitzroy Video - Links to moving picture media

Remove this Banner Ad

great story!
Wokka Irwin on Grumpy Old Men
Both the Micky Conlan 'Open Mike" and Chrissy Johnson "Life after football" videos are excellent. Micky talks a lot about his time at Fitzroy and his love for the Club. The CJ video is all about what he has been doing since he stopped playing AFL level footy.

Both definitely worth a look.
Sheahan is such a two faced bastard...in the terrible times near the end he consistently mouthed the afl line,as he was known to be,as was the herald sun, the p.r division de facto of H.Q.

Richmond v Fitzroy from the MCG, 1991.

Fitzroy v Footscray at Princes Park, 1988.

Great stuff as always Mr Ripper. That 1988 side had some top names. If 1986 was Parkin's best year of coaching then 1988 could have been his worst. I know he acknowledges he lost the playing group that year. If memory serves me correct he resigned from his post the morning after the Footscray victory.

Extremely surprised this isn't on YouTube, surely someone has the full game. Fitzroy's last victory over Essendon, shocking the reigning premiers in Round 2 of 1994. Only a couple of minutes of highlights but better than nothing. How good is that Jim Wynd throw near the end!

Enjoy, Royboys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

v Essendon at the Junction, 1979.

Curious to see Bob Beecroft in that video.

Does anyone remember if Bob Beecroft ever played in spectacles when he started at Fitzroy.

As kids we used to go over to our neighbours house in the early 1970's to watch the WAFL on TV and can remember Beecroft rucking for Swan Districts wearing thick black rimmed glasses.

Last edited:
Curious to see Bob Beecroft in that video.

Does anyone remember if Bob Beecroft ever played in spectacles when he started at Fitzroy.

As kids we used to go over to our neighbours house in the early 1970's to watch the WAFL on TV and can remember Beecroft rucking for Swan Districts wearing thick black rimmed glasses.

Don't remember Bob playing in glasses, though I was only a little kid. Can only remember that Essendon guy Geoff Blythn, and that was on replays. Bob was a great grab. Distinctly remember an old guy in the White Social Club Grandstand at the Junction, who used to sit in the same seat behind us in the same seats, each week - "Bobby baby you little beauty...."

Big win at the SCG, 1987

Another Ripper of a video. Just watched the first quarter of this great win and a few things caught my eye:
- Typical Royboy win in knocking over the top side with a number of key players out.
- I ponder how many weeks Bernard Toohey would get these days for that hit on Phil Knight. Looks like he may have received three weeks at the Tribunal.
- Ken Hinkley is barely recognisable in the number 48 jumper. The current Port coach and CEO both played for the Roys in the match.
- Finally I ask how the heck did Warwick Capper make the top ten list of best dressed in Australia???

Another Ripper of a video. Just watched the first quarter of this great win and a few things caught my eye:
- Typical Royboy win in knocking over the top side with a number of key players out.
- I ponder how many weeks Bernard Toohey would get these days for that hit on Phil Knight. Looks like he may have received three weeks at the Tribunal.
- Ken Hinkley is barely recognisable in the number 48 jumper. The current Port coach and CEO both played for the Roys in the match.
- Finally I ask how the heck did Warwick Capper make the top ten list of best dressed in Australia???
Another that isn't one of mine! Courtesy of The Holy Boot, if you're a twitter aficionado.

Another that isn't one of mine! Courtesy of The Holy Boot, if you're a twitter aficionado.

Feel free to claim it. I notice there a few of our clashes with Footscray and Richmond have popped up on YouTube in recent months as well.

Commentators went a bit conservative on calling that Richard Osborne torp goal at the beginning of the 2nd quarter as 55m. Its gone way over the fence behind the goals. 70m at least.

Remember this like it was yesterday.
It stands amazing that Fitzroy – who lost games by 8, 10, 4, 3, 2, 6 and 3 points in the first half of 1978 – won two one-pointers against Hawthorn! Fitzroy were on the bottom with a percentage as high as 92.5 after Round 11 of 1978! That percentage is one percent higher than the highest percentage by an eventual wooden spooner from back in 1922, and had they won those seven games they would have finished third or fourth at the end of the home-and-away season!

It stands amazing that Fitzroy – who lost games by 8, 10, 4, 3, 2, 6 and 3 points in the first half of 1978 – won two one-pointers against Hawthorn! Fitzroy were on the bottom with a percentage as high as 92.5 after Round 11 of 1978! That percentage is one percent higher than the highest percentage by an eventual wooden spooner from back in 1922, and had they won those seven games they would have finished third or fourth at the end of the home-and-away season!
I know - 1978 was a frustrating season, with the only compensation being the Night Premiership. We had a great team in 1978 / 1979. Check out the playing lists for each year. Plenty of talent there. People talk about how Fitzroy really should have won the Premiership in 1983, based on our form throughout the season, but I always have maintained that the 1979 team could just about have pinched a Flag if we hadn't lost the Double Chance when were beaten in the Rd. 22 clash against Geelong at Kardinia Park. We had that game in the bag and Geelong stole it in at the death in the last quarter.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/1978.html#6

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/1979.html#6

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back