Resource Fitzroy Video - Links to moving picture media

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks CT,

I recall the night like it was yesterday (has it seriously been 20 years!!!) It was a great game for which midway through the third quarter we were kicking goals from everywhere and looking unbeatable. Alas it was not to be. In our six years the Crows and Roys played some memorable matches (including two pre-season battles). Funny how limited contests with the other new side at the time, Freo, equally provided some significant moments.

This clip of South Melbourne v Fitzroy from round 13, 1979 is not yet linked on the first page of this thread, but has some great footage of Garry Wilson in full flight.

This clip of South Melbourne v Fitzroy from round 13, 1979 is not yet linked on the first page of this thread, but has some great footage of Garry Wilson in full flight.
What is the source of that footage?? The 1979 Fitzroy game I have been long after is that from Round 7 against Hawthorn, where the Hawks kicked sixteen straight behinds before their first major, then got seven of eight shots before the Lions held on.

Hawthorn’s score is by a full 1-9 (15) the highest by a team goalless at half-time.

What is the source of that footage?? The 1979 Fitzroy game I have been long after is that from Round 7 against Hawthorn, where the Hawks kicked sixteen straight behinds before their first major, then got seven of eight shots before the Lions held on.

Hawthorn’s score is by a full 1-9 (15) the highest by a team goalless at half-time.
No idea. I just googled Garry Wilson & found this on youtube...

Alrighty then, time for more Fitzroy videos!

(Edit: I didn't realise that a couple of the games below had already been uploaded to YouTube. I'll link them here anyway with apologies to crowtricolours and Mobbenfuhrer, as these are commercial free and 720p HD files.)

First up it's back to 1987 and what should have been a blowout at Princes Park.

Fitzroy Lions vs Brisbane Bears - Round 17 - 1987 - Roy Boys Wasteful, Bears Not Disgraceful

Flash forward to 1996 and things have come full circle.

Fitzroy Lions vs Brisbane Bears - Round 20 - 1996 - Last Pre-Merger Game

Now that unpleasantness is out of the way, lets watch Paul Roos sink Collingwood in glorious HD :)

Fitzroy Lions vs Collingwood Magpies - Round 11 - 1992 - Roos Rescues Roys!

...and then again the following year in atrocious conditions. (This game was originally uploaded by crowtricolours here.)

Fitzroy Lions vs Collingwood Magpies - Round 9 - 1993 - Slog In A Bog

And finally, that wonderful day in May 1996 when the shackles were momentarily broken. (This game was originally uploaded by Mobbenfuhrer here.)

Fitzroy Lions vs Fremantle Dockers - Round 8 - 1996 - Fitzroy's Last AFL Victory

I've also uploaded another video that I wont embed here because it isn't strictly Fitzroy, but it does have a touch of Royness about it - the 1986 SANFL Grand Final between Glenelg and North Adelaide.

North Adelaide is coached by future Fitzroy coach, Mick Nunan, and in the commentary box is former Fitzroy and Glenelg coach, Graham Campbell.

sanfl1.jpg
sanfl2.jpg

Get thee to KeepVid, and enjoy! :footy::):footy:

The AFL releasing footage from the 1909 Grand Final between South Melbourne and Carlton has got me interested in whether there is any old footage of Fitzroy floating about on the internet or anywhere else.

This thread really peaked my interest:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...th-melbourne-vs-carlton-footage.974913/page-6

It has basically shown that the Marvellous Melbourne 1910 video, which has a few seconds of football, contains what I gather is the earliest footage featuring Fitzroy Football Club (and of Collingwood feral supporters!). The match is Collingwood vs. Fitzroy at Victoria Park. Fitzroy are wearing all maroon jumpers although a few of our players are still wearing the older jumpers with yellow canvass down the middle (as happened a bit in those days, not everyone on the same team wore the exact same jumper).

But it made me wonder if there was any other old Fitzroy footage - say anything pre 1970?

If you're looking for historic footage of Australian Rules Football, then you can't go past VFL on Film: Marking Time, produced by the National Film & Sound Archive. These incredible documentaries feature hours of stunning newsreel footage and yes, there is quite a bit of Fitzroy included. I'll embed Volumes 1 and 2 below and list the times at which Fitzroy can be seen.

VFL On Film: 1909-1945 - Marking Time Volume 1

1910 - Collingwood vs Fitzroy at Victoria Park - 14:06
1913 - Grand Final - Fitzroy vs St. Kilda - 24:33
1929 - Early VFL promotional footage - Stars of Fitzroy - 47:28
1930s - Stars of the Game - Skill demonstrations at the Brunswick Street and Lake Ovals - Haydn Bunton Snr. - Gathering, Handpassing, Baulking and Rucking- 1:23:00
:footy: 1944 - Grand Final - Fitzroy vs Richmond - 1:31:15 :footy:

VFL On Film: 1946-1982 - Marking Time Volume 2

1954 - Round 1 - Collingwood vs Fitzroy - Magpies unfurl the 1953 Premiership Flag - 22:20
Brownlow Medal Winners - including Haydn Bunton Sr., Wilfred "Chicken" Smallhorn and Kevin Murray - 48:26
1958 - Butch Gale congratulates Brownlow Medal winner Neil Roberts - 49:45
1963 - First Semi Final - Ross Oakley coat-hangered by Melbourne's Brian Dixon - 1:08:36
1969 - Kevin Murray Brownlow Medal presentation - 50:52
1970 - Second Semi Final - A brief shot of Kevin Murray as one of the ten non-participating Captains - 51:03
1970 - Round 1 - Richmond vs Fitzroy (First Sunday match and Royal Visit) - 1:42:01
Colour footage at 1:42:45

There may be more Fitzroy-related footage beyond this point as it's as far as I've watched in detail. Feel free to note it here if there is.

And as always, enjoy! :footy::):footy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Guys,

Long time Fitzroy fan here. Just a quick one, I am looking for some footage on an optus vision special when they had a footy channel.

It was a Fitzroy video with John Blackman as the voice-over (I think so) and it was around 96. Desperate to find it because I'm in it!!! I don't know what it is called but I was a kid when I saw it.

To put it in perspective I was 10 when the merger took place and had the privileged of running through banner with another 50 or 100 kids in our last game in Melbourne against the tiges. So I was fairly young when I saw it but I remember it vividly and would love to see it again.

Any thoughts are most welcome.

Cheers

The F_Man, could it be "Fitzroy's first 100 years of action", which was put out in 1983 or 84 to celebrate Fitzroy's centenary

I am pretty sure John Blackman does the voice-over. It is available in a number of parts on You Tube. It is also available on DVD via the Fitzroy shop - I purchased a copy of it myself.

[Hi Royboys. I'm not sure where to post this but I've just put a video on Youtube of my song "Fitzroy I'm Calling You" . It's (mostly) about the way we were shafted and some history. You can find it here
Hope you like it.

Love it, Don! :thumbsu:

Wow great footage guys. I especially enjoyed the game against Collingwood in 93 when Roos snapped a goal in the dying seconds to get us over the line. Gary Pert had put the Pies in front just minutes earlier for he first time in the day. I was at that game and remember we were about 6 or 7 goals up at half time too before Collingwood came back
Been trying to find footage of a game against Melbourne at Princess park back in 88. I reckon we were about 6 goals down at half time and came home lik a train in the second half to win by about 6 goals. Osborne kicked 11 for the day i recall

Wow great footage guys. I especially enjoyed the game against Collingwood in 93 when Roos snapped a goal in the dying seconds to get us over the line. Gary Pert had put the Pies in front just minutes earlier for he first time in the day. I was at that game and remember we were about 6 or 7 goals up at half time too before Collingwood came back
Been trying to find footage of a game against Melbourne at Princess park back in 88. I reckon we were about 6 goals down at half time and came home lik a train in the second half to win by about 6 goals. Osborne kicked 11 for the day i recall
The game you're thinking of was Round 18, 1989 where Melbourne led by 5 goals at half time before we took over. It's my favourite game and some surviving footage from the Big League replay should be linked at the start of this thread.

Alrighty then, time for more Fitzroy videos!

(Edit: I didn't realise that a couple of the games below had already been uploaded to YouTube. I'll link them here anyway with apologies to crowtricolours and Mobbenfuhrer, as these are commercial free and 720p HD files.)

First up it's back to 1987 and what should have been a blowout at Princes Park.

Fitzroy Lions vs Brisbane Bears - Round 17 - 1987 - Roy Boys Wasteful, Bears Not Disgraceful

Flash forward to 1996 and things have come full circle.

Fitzroy Lions vs Brisbane Bears - Round 20 - 1996 - Last Pre-Merger Game

Now that unpleasantness is out of the way, lets watch Paul Roos sink Collingwood in glorious HD :)

Fitzroy Lions vs Collingwood Magpies - Round 11 - 1992 - Roos Rescues Roys!

...and then again the following year in atrocious conditions. (This game was originally uploaded by crowtricolours here.)

Fitzroy Lions vs Collingwood Magpies - Round 9 - 1993 - Slog In A Bog

And finally, that wonderful day in May 1996 when the shackles were momentarily broken. (This game was originally uploaded by Mobbenfuhrer here.)

Fitzroy Lions vs Fremantle Dockers - Round 8 - 1996 - Fitzroy's Last AFL Victory

I've also uploaded another video that I wont embed here because it isn't strictly Fitzroy, but it does have a touch of Royness about it - the 1986 SANFL Grand Final between Glenelg and North Adelaide.

North Adelaide is coached by future Fitzroy coach, Mick Nunan, and in the commentary box is former Fitzroy and Glenelg coach, Graham Campbell.

sanfl1.jpg
sanfl2.jpg

Get thee to KeepVid, and enjoy! :footy::):footy:

Just finished watching Fitzroy's last win against the Dockers in 96. Pretty sad viewing thinking what the poor roys became. Really feel for their supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back