Article Fitzroy's Long Slow Death (AFL.com.au)

Remove this Banner Ad

My reckoning is more than one club is still alive now because of the way the Lions went out, the AFL was quite ruthless about it. It was tragic and won't be allowed to happen again, so the remaining clubs get treated very differently now. More assistance is available to keep struggling clubs afloat because of it.

Correct, and at that time the TV rights were not what they are now. The TV rights now are such that it's more economic to keep clubs afloat to have more product each weekend.

The AFL was a much leaner operation back then. It was in the same decade that the players - all players - became full professionals.

Ross Oakley is who you speak of.

His book, written two years ago or so, was a predictably one-sided apologist tome of rubbish that was notable mainly for its complete lack of acknowledgement (not that it's surprising) of the dirty tactics he used to white ant Fitzroy.

This was a response I had to that boom over on the Fitzroy board

I've been reading Oakley's book (from the library didn't want to line his pockets) and it really isn't that good. Firstly he is attempting to rewrite history as during this interview; secondly he seems to brush over most of the things which occurred under his watch (like a lot of the proposed merger details) while going into detail at just how bad his predecessors had run the league; and thirdly you'd be much better off reading Football Ltd. which covers the same ground but from an unbiased viewpoint.

Some of the comments he makes provide a good insight into his mentality though such as this caption beneath this cartoon;

View attachment 101326

Why would this cartoon, picturing him as a dictator sentencing a club to death, be a favourite and adorn his walls at home??? Disgusting.

1996 Average Attendances against interstate clubs.

Fitzroy were only pulling 75% of the crowds of Footscray against interstate teams.

39,428 - Adelaide
34,317 - Essendon
32,153 - West Coast
31,883 - Richmond
24,574 - Sydney
23,585 - Collingwood
22,104 - North Melbourne
21,454 - West Coast
21,416 - Fremantle
20,980 - St Kilda
19,945 - Hawthorn
18,834 - Carlton
17,179 - Brisbane
15,967 - Melbourne
10,248 - Footscray
7,485 - Fitzroy

They were basically Dead Man Walking in 1996 and the second half of the season the decision had already been made. The fact they got anywhere near the next club is remarkable. Maybe look at their crowds from 1977-1996 (a 20 year period) to get a good gauge and comparison. Year by year and cumulative.

I understand why they left – the money they were entitled to, the ability to fulfil their potentials.

...but I feel like Roos, Primus, Ross Lyon et al leaving this beleaguered club at such hugely critical times was a bit of a dog act. It's never been said but I feel like a lot of them took an easy way out and contributed to the death of an entire football club.

I understand why they left – the money they were entitled to, the ability to fulfil their potentials.

...but I feel like Roos, Primus, Ross Lyon et al leaving this beleaguered club at such hugely critical times was a bit of a dog act. It's never been said but I feel like a lot of them took an easy way out and contributed to the death of an entire football club.
I don't agree about these players leaving Fitzroy as being a 'dog act'. I don't recall any of them leaving Fitzroy on bad terms or being accused of disloyalty at all. More a case of them wanting to further their careers elsewhere (either financially or with on-field success), which Fitzroy could not offer. Perhaps being at the club made them realise the end was nigh for Fitzroy in the AFL a lot sooner than outsiders did...

Someone in this thread compared them to Liverpool. I mean, get real...
How about Wimbledon then. been a joy watching them rebirth as AFC Wimbledon. hopefully, the "new" Fitzroy will have the same success.

feel sorry for the Roy fans. it was a bit before my time but it is painful to rewatch videos on youtube about their last season.

How about Wimbledon then. been a joy watching them rebirth as AFC Wimbledon. hopefully, the "new" Fitzroy will have the same success.

feel sorry for the Roy fans. it was a bit before my time but it is painful to rewatch videos on youtube about their last season.

Luckily for the English they have an amazing league system that allows these things to occur. Struggling clubs fall away but they don't die, there's always a chance of them rebuilding.

And anyone can basically start a new club in their lowly local league and theoretically go to the top - it's on merit, not with somebody's permission. FC Utd Manchester are an example.

Unfortunately, we don't have that. Though Fitzroy are on the field again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC Fitzroy had trouble paying them on time or at all. The VFL of course could have helped but that wasn't the agenda.

Never understood what Fitzroy ever did to upset Ross Oakley, Ian Collins and the rest of the crew.

It's like the AFL infected Fitzroy with the '80's version of Ebola.

Historically I thought they seemed very harmless.

Why do bullies pick their targets? Easy kills.

If there's one good thing about the demise of Fitzroy, out of all the heartbreak, it proved to other clubs and fans that the league will not treat you properly as a merged entity. The league wiped Fitzroy from the map, and I don't think have ever properly delivered on their responsibility to celebrate and acknowledge the history of the game, not just the current league and teams.

It effectively ended the era of attempted mergers, and relocation attempts since then (see North to the Gold Coast) have been met with fierce resistance from fans. And so they should be.

If there's one good thing about the demise of Fitzroy, out of all the heartbreak, it proved to other clubs and fans that the league will not treat you properly as a merged entity. The league wiped Fitzroy from the map, and I don't think have ever properly delivered on their responsibility to celebrate and acknowledge the history of the game, not just the current league and teams.

It effectively ended the era of attempted mergers, and relocation attempts since then (see North to the Gold Coast) have been met with fierce resistance from fans. And so they should be.

True this. Sad we had to lose a team though.

After the merger was announced between Brisbane and Fitzroy, the Fitzroy banner at their next game read:
Seduced by North Melbourne
Raped by Brisbane
F**ked by the AFL

That's how it all happened in a nutshell.
That article from the AFL is nothing but tripe and is another reason as to why no one should read any articles on their crappy site.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back