Cars & Transportation Ford Mustang

Remove this Banner Ad

Not too many Roos kicking around Metro Sydney these days, but drive both Metro and Rural for work, so have had the pleasure.
Same back home with Deer.

Rather be in the 'Stang than a Commodore or Falcon TBH.
She looks a lot like this...

DSC_0210.jpg
Sooz wants her numberplates back...

You probably should just read the crash test report.

You still might not care because she looks good, but I guarantee your family will if your airbag doesn't work.

I've read the crash report, and was aware that Ford didn't provide a copy for ANCAP testing and that European testing was done prior to the UK release. Didn't sway my decision one iota.

Ultimately, vehicle safety is largely on the driver of the vehicle at any time and a good driver is aware of the limitations of Joe Public and adjusts his\her driving accordingly.

My family is no less safe in the Mustang than any other car on the roads in Australia based on the simple fact that Australians are amongst the worst drivers in the world. This is a by product of not having a demerit point system for all traffic accidents allowing clearly unsuitable drivers to be able to continue to drive despite having multiple accidents and a clear inability to operate a motor vehicle safely.

IF licencing authorities required a re-test for every licence renewal we could seriously remove s**t drivers, reduce the road toll in the process.
IF Police were able to issue demerits for ALL accidents (they are caused by Negligent Driving after all), we would remove more s**t drivers and reduce the road toll further.

One of the first things I bought my kids when they got their licence was a Defensive Driving Course so they too could protect themselves while driving.

Australian driving education systems encourage s**t driving. It's the government policies that needs updating. Can't blame individuals that do everything right in the eyes of the testing standards.

Mark Skaife brought it up years ago when touring Germany on behalf of a government group. Don't think he's part of that anymore.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:
I drive an express van which got 1 star about 10 years ago. Id be more worried about that than a Mustang

You're not wrong.
No 1 on the "Worst List"

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/top-ten-safe-cars-top-ten-worst-cars-16485

THE WORST:

1. Mitsubishi Express - 8.49
2. Mahindra Pik-Up - 16.49
3. Hyundai Elantra - 19.81
4. Kia Cerato - 19.90
5. Hyundai Elantra (curtain airbags) - 20.76
6. Hyundai Accent - 21.21
7. Holden Colorado - 21.40
8. Nissan Navara - 21.57
9. Hyundai Getz - 21.78
10. Nissan Patrol - 22.17

I've read the crash report, and was aware that Ford didn't provide a copy for ANCAP testing and that European testing was done prior to the UK release. Didn't sway my decision one iota.

Ultimately, vehicle safety is largely on the driver of the vehicle at any time and a good driver is aware of the limitations of Joe Public and adjusts his\her driving accordingly.

My family is no less safe in the Mustang than any other car on the roads in Australia based on the simple fact that Australians are amongst the worst drivers in the world. This is a by product of not having a demerit point system for all traffic accidents allowing clearly unsuitable drivers to be able to continue to drive despite having multiple accidents and a clear inability to operate a motor vehicle safely.

IF licencing authorities required a re-test for every licence renewal we could seriously remove s**t drivers, reduce the road toll in the process.
IF Police were able to issue demerits for ALL accidents (they are caused by Negligent Driving after all), we would remove more s**t drivers and reduce the road toll further.

One of the first things I bought my kids when they got their licence was a Defensive Driving Course so they too could protect themselves while driving.

You can't actually be serious.

Safe driving is a lot different to crash safety.

Saying drivers here are worse then most other places is a load of mindless sheep bullshit. For a start almost everyone follows the road rules, that instantly puts them ahead of most places. Fatality rates here are very low, even with the vast distances.

But seriously, all those "safety features" are more like dumbass features. Lane departure warning is ******* annoying. My mate's car picks up tram tracks as a lane edge. And if I have my car on cruise control, I don't want my car slamming on the breaks because some douchebag pulls in front of me. I can do that myself. Does the car also beep it's horn, give them the finger, and yell curses at them for you? I purposefully chose this car because it doesn't have those features (and because it's sexy and fast). I can drive for myself thanks.

The safety of sitting in the backseat for sure is a worry, but if you've seen the size of the backseats, the passenger already has no legs. May as well add their head to the list.

Saying drivers here are worse then most other places is a load of mindless sheep bullshit. For a start almost everyone follows the road rules, that instantly puts them ahead of most places. Fatality rates here are very low, even with the vast distances.

Disagree

Personal observations having lived on multiple continents for many many years

The French are a close 2nd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But seriously, all those "safety features" are more like dumbass features. Lane departure warning is ******* annoying. My mate's car picks up tram tracks as a lane edge. And if I have my car on cruise control, I don't want my car slamming on the breaks because some douchebag pulls in front of me. I can do that myself. Does the car also beep it's horn, give them the finger, and yell curses at them for you? I purposefully chose this car because it doesn't have those features (and because it's sexy and fast). I can drive for myself thanks.

The safety of sitting in the backseat for sure is a worry, but if you've seen the size of the backseats, the passenger already has no legs. May as well add their head to the list.

Back seats not for sitting in Ducky ;)

Thanks Mr McEnroe

They do intersect
Often

I agree on the drivers in Aust, that's for sure.

But you can't be serious about the safety. Driving ability has nothing to do with how a car crashes.

So many people seem to think it's all about driving. Do people seriously think the drop in road toll etc over the decades is because Australians are better drivers? FMD

It's because of the way modern cars crash. They absorb impact and cushion the occupants. We walk away or break our arms when we used to be killed.

To suggest this stuff doesn't really matter is mental.

Jesus

3:30 onwards.

And yes I agree... very, very nice photo.

I agree on the drivers in Aust, that's for sure.

But you can't be serious about the safety. Driving ability has nothing to do with how a car crashes.

So many people seem to think it's all about driving. Do people seriously think the drop in road toll etc over the decades is because Australians are better drivers? FMD

It's because of the way modern cars crash. They absorb impact and cushion the occupants. We walk away or break our arms when we used to be killed.

To suggest this stuff doesn't really matter is mental.

Don't be obtuse.
Of course safety improvements have been engineered to reduce the impact and trauma/deaths in collisions.

Vehicles now have far better engines and capacity which can result in more serious injuries in an accident accordingky.

But the major cause of said collisions is driver error or impairment.

So safety improvements are driven by compensating for bad drivers and their impact on innocents.

Personally I'm a fan of Natural Selection taking its course

Remove this Banner Ad

Back