Forward line revamp

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
The other end of the foot bridge
AFL Club
Adelaide
Time for a major revamp IMO. It isnt working. We get heaps of the ball but cant kick goals. When we go forward we dont look dangerous at all. I think a major reson for it is that we have 3 of the best forwards on our list wasting their talents in the SANFL. IMO, M.Stevens, Ladhams and Jericho have to come in.

Here's a potential team with a revamped forward line, any thoughts?

B Hart Rutten Bassett
HB Torney McGregor Mattner
C Reilly Thompson McLeod
HF Jericho Perrie Welsh
F Ladhams M.Stevens Ricciuto
R Hudson Goodwin Edwards
Int: Hentschel, Burton, Skipworth, Biglands

In: M.Stevens, Ladhams, Jericho
Out: Johncock, Begley, Shirley

That forward line looks slightly competant with a few goal kickers coming off the bench, but I wouldn't be dropping Shirley.
I was a big critic of his at the start of the season but he needs to be rewarded for a good start. We might need him to follow on of Brissy's midfielders this week too.

Crowked said:

Poor Shirley - he is so maligned. ;)

Seriously though Crowked, I don't know what more the poor bugger can do to satisfy people. He's had a very good year, and has restricted his opponent in every game, while getting a fair share of it himself.

He won't be dropped this week.

Crowked said:
Time for a major revamp IMO. It isnt working. We get heaps of the ball but cant kick goals. When we go forward we dont look dangerous at all. I think a major reson for it is that we have 3 of the best forwards on our list wasting their talents in the SANFL. IMO, M.Stevens, Ladhams and Jericho have to come in.

B Hart Rutten Bassett
C Reilly Thompson McLeod
HF Jericho Perrie Welsh
R Hudson Goodwin Edwards

No way will Shirley be dropped.

By the way, it's not really a revamp as it is stacking.
You've included three forwards and dropped one defender, one tagging midfielder and Stiffy out to injury. :D

I like the fact you have included both Ladhams and Jericho in your lineup.

Both have played pretty good footy in the SANFL from the matches I've seen on ABC 2.

Mark Stevens I'm not sold on at the moment.

He looked very slow & cumbersome in the two SANFL matches (against Westies & North). He has a turning circle like the Queen Mary.

Not too sure why you are keen on taking the axe to Shirley though.

In: Ladhams, Jericho
Out: Johncock, Begley

Given those Ins & Outs here's my team :-

B Hart Rutten Bassett
C Reilly Thompson Burton
HF Jericho Perrie McLeod
F Ladhams Welsh Ricciuto
R Hudson Goodwin Edwards
Int: Hentschel, , Skipworth, Biglands, Shirley

With this small, fast forward line either Mal Michael or Justin Leppitsch will be found wanting or on the bench.

By playing Mark Stevens I feel you are playing into Brisbane's hands as they can still have both Michael & Leppitsch on the field.

In my lineup Ricciuto would stand Chris Johnson making him much more accountable.

We can run them ragged because speed is their weakness especially in the midfield where they are particularly slow (the exception being Akermanis).

Crowked said:

B Hart Rutten Bassett
C Reilly Thompson McLeod
HF Jericho Perrie Welsh
R Hudson Goodwin Edwards

Mate, I agree. You have made some changes and brought in Jericho without completely overhauling the forward line - I like it.

The only changes I would make would be :

Thompson to HFF, Jericho to FP and Roo to C.

Jericho deserves a chance, IMO Welsh is better suited to a HFF (not deep in attack) like you have suggested, Stevens is an experienced player who I think should come back into the team.

PerthCrow said:
I wont say your right or wrong but if that was the team I would have Ladhams off the flank , so he can run deeper.Welsh wont work as hard from a flank

I guess the idea with moving Welsh out to HF was to distance him from the FF line where he is really struggling ATM. I think he could be a good HFF, he in the past has worked pretty hard to keep the ball in our forward line. I wouldnt think ladhams would outwork him there anyway. I also thing Ladhams is a dead eye at goals. Keep him close to the goals and he will convert most of his chances. He's not renown for his hard work ethic but his silky skills and goal kicking ability.

I think this line up looks more potent than as it is now anyway. Perhaps the bird could be in there instead of one of them but he gives us another option of the bench if we need to make another change.

Looking not just at Brisbane, but beyond - I don't know that I (or anyone) can come up with "the" forward line at this stage, I believe we need to experiment for the remainder of the year and find out which players, and combinations, are going to work. Some of the things we need to try:

- Change Hudson and Biglands at FF
- Welsh in a pocket
- Macca on HFF
- Burton in a pocket or HFF
- Perrie and M Stevens (at some stage) - HFF
- Hentschel, Jericho at CHF
- rotating midfielders such as Thompson through a HFF or pocket
- Watts = HFF or pocket? Don't know enough about him
- Meesen, later in the year, perhaps as the ruckman at FF?
- Maybe Bock, but he's more likely a defender?

(You know, I come from an era where we changed the rucks and followers in the back or forward pockets, I myself used to play ruck/FF. Everything old is new again?)

Each of these components needs to be tried for a decent stretch (5 games) and in different combinations. What and who works, and what doesn't, can only be found out that way - not on paper.

Given that we've done OK so far with what is widely regarded as a dysfunctional forward line, I don't even think that sort of experimentation is a great risk to our ladder performance this year. And in any case that is far less important than finding our 2006 forward line.

There are some other things like playing Roo in the forward line, that we will need to do from time to time in particular games, but I don't count them as components of the "core" forward line that we need to test out. They are tactics, not strategy.

Guys, I know Shirley hasnt done anything wrong. He doesnt have to be the one flicked but if not him then who? IMO we need forwards who can kick goals more than we need a stopper. I thought it was between Shirley or Skipworth, and Skippy has been good too and kicked goals to boot.

Shirley = Very unlucky

But we need goal kicking attacking players and that he aint.

If NC is genuinely looking to play attacking football and blood the young guns, this sort of change has to happen. If not, its all just been lip service and we arent going to improve.

I would try something different and play hentschel at Full Forward and really change things around. i would play Skipworth in the forward pocket he has shown on the last couple of weeks that he is starting to get a bit of an idea where to stand and stuff. I would also bring Jericho in for his speed considering we now flood and when we are flooding his speed would be very useful to get into the forward 50 when we are on the rebound and maybe could give us something. I think we should just try some different things and see what clicks. Maybe play Perrie across chf more than in front of the goal front and try and keep space and instruct Trent to lead and create a target.

Vic Crow said:
By the way, it's not really a revamp as it is stacking.
You've included three forwards and dropped one defender, one tagging midfielder and Stiffy out to injury. :D

Attack, attack, attack. NC's talking the talk, now is time to walk the walk. You cant have too many goal kickers can you?

We still have some flexibility in the back if needed. Hentschel could go back, so could Reilly, McLeod, Roo or Edwards if required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowked said:

B Hart Rutten Bassett
C Reilly Thompson McLeod
HF Jericho Perrie Welsh
R Hudson Goodwin Edwards

My side would be

B Hart Rutten Bassett

HB Torney Hentschel Reilly

C Mattner Ricciuto Goodwin

HF Skipworth McGregor McLeod

FF Watts Perrie Burton

R Hudson Edwards Thompson

Interchange Shirley,Biglands Welsh (only just) Jericho

IN: Jericho, (Watts or Van Berlo) depending on BL match ups.

Outs: Johncock, Begley

I would switch Hentschel and Ken McGregor, CHF to CHB (not long term) Form and confidence is a need for the change in Hentschel case, plus the side needs a target to kick to at CH, Ken mac.

Crowked said:
Attack, attack, attack. NC's talking the talk, now is time to walk the walk. You cant have too many goal kickers can you?

I agree that NC should follow the fine words from Winston Churchill and ”fight, Fight, Fight”

Come out with all guns firing and hit them hard, don’t let then get into the game. Hopefully at the end of the first quarter we can get 3 or 4 goals up and they will just lose interest, but if we allow them the opportunity to be and stay close, there is every chance our boys will get nervous (being a inexperienced side) and they will just cruise into that mind set they have had for the last 4 or 5 years and steam roll us.

crows98 said:
My side would be

B Hart Rutten Bassett

HB Torney Hentschel Reilly

C Mattner Ricciuto Goodwin

HF Skipworth McGregor McLeod

FF Watts Perrie Burton

R Hudson Edwards Thompson

Interchange Shirley,Biglands Welsh (only just) Jericho

IN: Jericho, (Watts or Van Berlo) depending on BL match ups.

Outs: Johncock, Begley

I would switch Hentschel and Ken McGregor, CHF to CHB (not long term) Form and confidence is a need for the change in Hentschel case, plus the side needs a target to kick to at CH, Ken mac.

I agree with the swap of McGregor and Hentschel but I would wait until after the Brisbane game.

Hentschel Vs Brown won't be a very good matchup because of the sheer strength of Brown.

Poor old Hentschel will get outbodied at every marking contest if this matchup did occur.

Having said that the following week I would have Hentschel Vs Riewoldt as they are similiar height, weights & builds.

Lefty said:
I agree with the swap of McGregor and Hentschel but I would wait until after the Brisbane game.

Hentschel Vs Brown won't be a very good matchup because of the sheer strength of Brown.

Poor old Hentschel will get outbodied at every marking contest if this matchup did occur.

Having said that the following week I would have Hentschel Vs Riewoldt as they are similiar height, weights & builds.

Then he doesn’t get into a body on body contest with Jonathon brown. Play off him and spoil the ball, or put Ben Rutten on him and play Hentschel on Brad Scott

Im pretty disappointed with the side named. One possitive inclusion with Jericho, but thats it. Pretty gutless effort at the selection table this week. It seems the necessity to take some risks and make things happen only applies to the players. The coaching staff can take the careful, low risk and probably low return option every time. Seriously, we're playing against one of the best defensive groups going round and we name a forward line that looks impotent, and has in recent weeks lived up to its potential. If we lose this week, I think it will be a defining game in our season. The week we needed to inject some attacking flair, we took the defensive option. I'm tipping we wont kick more than 8-10 goals again. Hope Browns having a bad night or he might out score us on his own.

Not happy. :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back