FORZA NAPOLI!!!!! SSC Napoli thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Had a look around, only a couple of Serie A team threads around in this English team oriented board and Napoli don't have one.

Anyways, I'm really excited about this seasons prospects for the Italian game in general, it's not Juve dominating with Roma 2-3-4 games behind them like it has been the last 2-3 years, it's so tight at the top and it's anyone's season really.

Picture 6.png

The new manager Sarri seems to be getting the best out of the team and the team is still fairly young, lead by Higuain and Hamsik doing the talismanic stuff, Reina seems to be playing solid football again, Albiol is solid down back and Maggio is still around for experience. But yeah, really excited with the likes of Insigne, Mertens, Gabbiadini, Allan and Jorginho supporting Higuain and Hamsik. The team doesn't have many stars, but it's just a really solid squad at the moment.

What's encouraging is the amount of goals that aren't conceded currently, while the attack is going great guns compared to others, I'm not sure if Inter can sustain a fairly defensive game, as they have had a number of 1-0 wins already, that just won't happen all season and they need to improve their attack I think. I don't rate Roma as I think their defence is a bit suss though their midfield and attack is solid, I think that the Viola and the Old Lady are the likely title contenders to us though. The Viola are having a great season also and have some of the most inform players in the league currently such as Kalinic banging the goals in, while Babacar is starting to show some promise also upfront and their defence is made up of a lot of solid journeyman like Tomovic, Rodriguez, Astori etc, their spending power from a few years ago raiding the likes of Villarreal when they were relegated is starting to pay dividends I think, though Rossi has struggled with the knee still and Gomez didn't work out. The Old Lady after a stuttering start have had a powerful last two months and once they get on a roll they're hard to stop, I imagine they dropped points early in the season due to new players adapting to their style as they did lose quite a few key players at the end of last season, such as Vidal and Llorente.

Anyways, looking forward to the next 21 matchdays, #FORZANAPOLI

Nice idea opening up this thread :thumbsu:

Really looking forward to the second half of the season... bullish about our chances of winning at least one trophy.

Under Rafa we were quite attacking but didn't always put the goals away - that has certainly changed this season with both Higuain and Insigne going to another level. The biggest improvement has definitely been down back though! Koulibaly has been a monster, arguably best defender in the league so far this season.

Would like to see us buy another centre back (especially with Henrique expected to leave), centre midfielder and striker this month. More depth down the spine is needed imo to give our key players a bit more rest as the season drags on.

Thought I'd give my thoughts on where the team is at and a bit of a look ahead after our CL exit this morning to Real Madrid...

So clearly we aren't up to their level, first 10 mins of the 2nd half in both legs killed us but I wasn't disappointed the way we played over the two legs, we just made some defensive errors like usual and they showed why they're the reigning champs by punishing us. They're so damn clinical!

So we're gone from Europe, unlikely to overturn Coppa Italia semi final tie vs Juve and sitting 5 pts clear of 4th in the league, should finish top 3 from here. So what needs to be done to become legit trophy challengers next season...?

The defence is the main issue, we have gone backwards from last season. Reina simply has to go, has been better last couple of months, but he has made way too many mistakes this season, we must buy a new GK in the next window! Koulibaly is a real interesting one, I was praying last offseason for us not to sell but I would now strongly consider if big bids come our way again at the end of the season. He is a fantastic defender, easily our best, but his turnovers are becoming too prevelant now. His passing skills are average, we need better passing out of defence. He stops many opposition attacks but he gives up many chances too with his misplaced passes. Need to replace Albiol, happy for him to stay as a backup, but we need a new younger, quicker starting CB. Maksimovic, Chriches are fine as squad players, would sell Tonelli though. Hysaj and Ghoulam are good but need new back up fullbacks... sell/replace Strinic and Maggio.

Love the midfield, got a great mix of different players and nothing needs to change personnel wise going forward imo... Hamsik, Allan, Zielinski, Diawara, Rog and Jorginho are a strong group.

In attack, same as the midfield, not a lot needs to change. Insigne, Milik, Mertens and Callejon are the core 4 with Pavoletti and Giaccherini as good, experienced backups. Will say one thing, as great as Mertens has been in the #9 role, we lack height, we play high balls a lot and have a tendency to give up chances on set pieces, I think for team balance it's best to go with Milik as the starting #9 from next season. We all saw how great he was before the ACL injury, holds up the ball well and a genuine target man who can finish well.

And finally, the coaching and overall style we play... Sarri needs to make tweaks for us to progress. The high press + manic, attacking style is great to watch, but we need to start picking our moments better. We have looked gassed in many games this season late on because of the frantic style from the get go, we need to manage games more smartly. Juve are the kings at game management, whereas we have no other style, whether we're up, drawing or trailing, it's still just attack, attack, attack. We need to slow down a bit when we're leading... And as touched on earlier, the amount of turnovers we do in our defensive half is infuriating! We must start taking more care when in possession.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back