Fremantle's 4th Pick: Shane Yarran (Rest in Peace)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many better possible prospects in the rookie draft. And younger. And have never played for Carlton. Guys like Glass-Mcwhatever his name is. And Greg Clark who's a WA prospect, tall, currently plays midfield but has a great kick and can probably get moulded into a HB.

i think you are right. if freo was interested in bootsma he would have been taken in the ND... rookie'ing a mature age KPD who hasnt put on any size since he was drafted, dont see it. will take too much work

better off rookie'ng one of the passed over kids or a recent delistee that wont be far off. like you mentioned greg clark is the perfect player. has some serious concerns in his game but you could get him right. glass-mccasker another. the full back in the SA U18 side was a rock lock down player that allowed francis to do his thing

the other thing I wonder though, is if freo need another KPD. they seem sorted there with Pearce, Johnson, Dawson, Silvagni. if it was a major concern i think they would have pulled the trigger on mitch brown, who can play both ends

the other thing I wonder though, is if freo need another KPD. they seem sorted there with Pearce, Johnson, Dawson, Silvagni. if it was a major concern i think they would have pulled the trigger on mitch brown, who can play both ends
We've also got Tanner Smith on the rookie list. I think if we do pick up another good KPD we can swing Pearce forward. Personally, I prefer Pearce up back. He looks a lot more comfortable as a defender.

Pearce is a natural defender. He's quality enough that he could make a fist of it up forward and do a good job, but, that's not his natural position.
This is what I think too. He could be a great defender, or a good forward. I know we need forwards, but I think it's a bit of a waste of his talent to do it permanently

This is what I think too. He could be a great defender, or a good forward. I know we need forwards, but I think it's a bit of a waste of his talent to do it permanently
Too early to said he is better defender than forward or the other way round depend on need remember Chris tarrant.

So has anyone done the maths on how many indigenous boys will be in the same team if we play our full compliment?
Would be pretty cool to see and might break/equal the AFL record.
Nyoongar only is Griff, MJ, Hill, SonSon, HB and Yarran. Too many Nyoongars are barely enough in my book, really makes a stamp on the team that it's a WA team. We have a sense of place the "vibe" up the road can only dream of.

So has anyone done the maths on how many indigenous boys will be in the same team if we play our full compliment?
Would be pretty cool to see and might break/equal the AFL record.

Nyoongar only is Griff, MJ, Hill, SonSon, HB and Yarran.

Plus we then have Palawa people from Tasmania in Brady Grey and Alex Pearce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nyoongar only is Griff, MJ, Hill, SonSon, HB and Yarran. Too many Nyoongars are barely enough in my book, really makes a stamp on the team that it's a WA team. We have a sense of place the "vibe" up the road can only dream of.
7 in the one team is the record. We're probably a realistic chance to equal that record again this year.
Port Adelaide in 2015: Paddy Ryder, Chad Wingard, Jarman Impey, Karl Amon, Nathan Krakouer, Brendon Ah Chee and Jake Neade
Fremantle in 2003: Troy Cook, Jeff Farmer, Antoni Grover, Roger Hayden, Des Headland, Steven Koops and Dion Woods

I think the reason why people think Pearce is a better defender than forward is because right now he is still rather skinny, which means his only major weakness is contested marking. It's easier to spoil than to mark if you're skinny. If he puts on about 8-10kg he would probably develop a pretty good contested mark. He has every other necessary attribute to make it as a forward.

I see him being a legitimate swingman in a couple of years. Play him in defence until then.

I think the reason why people think Pearce is a better defender than forward is because right now he is still rather skinny, which means his only major weakness is contested marking. It's easier to spoil than to mark if you're skinny. If he puts on about 8-10kg he would probably develop a pretty good contested mark. He has every other necessary attribute to make it as a forward.

I see him being a legitimate swingman in a couple of years. Play him in defence until then.

I think it's more to do with the sample of his set shot kicking that we saw this year. Absolute shizenhouzen!

There are so many better possible prospects in the rookie draft. And younger. And have never played for Carlton. Guys like Glass-Mcwhatever his name is. And Greg Clark who's a WA prospect, tall, currently plays midfield but has a great kick and can probably get moulded into a HB.
If we do Rookie Bootsma, I hope it's to play him as a forward. Every other ex-carlton forward seems to go better than alright (except in GF's).

I have drafted posts 3 times now, and I changed my mind - probably with good judgement.

Moo summed my thoughts up pretty well. I understand the need to discuss the past. I am sure he is open about it (as a mentor), mind you I have never met Shane. I love redemption. I love people that can overcome ..well things that are hard to overcome. This bloke Shane Yarran has had a harder life than me, he never had the opportunities I had, or the role models I had.

He went down a bad path as a youngster (missing draft at a young age), spent his good years in gaol, and when out - he was a different lad - and he deserves my respect now.

I am happy with the pick. I just wish him luck. For once, maybe things will go this kids way. He is still young. Go Son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back