From iPhone to the Samsung Note 3

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
For 2 years I had an iphone 3GS and for the past 2 years I've owned an iphone 4S. After seeing the specs of the 5S I thought I would sit it out and wait another 12 months for the 6. First, I wanted to get off the S cycle. Second, I didn't want to commit another 2 years to a 64 gig phone. I have about 8 gig left, I would breach that within 24 months but could hang on for another 12 if I had to. So what I did was wait for Optus to call me, they do that when you're coming to the end of your contract with them and negotiated a flexible deal where I retain my 4S but I'm paying way less. And if I want to quit at anytime, I can without penalty.

But then the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 came out. I have never held a Samsung/Android device in my hand long enough to know how it all works, but after playing with a Note 3 at a Vodaphone store, all I can say is WOW.

This phone is a beast. Not a big fan of the back casing but the screen size makes my iphone look babyish (yes I have read all the 2 hand vs 1 hand arguments from fanboys on either side). And its ability to multitask puts the iphone to shame. With IOS7 you can now swipe two or more apps away and Apple calls this multitasking.

I have since done a bit of research on the Note 3 through youtube and reviews on the web. What I have discovered, and remember I am currently an iphone user, but what I've discovered is that the Note 3 has 2 user interfaces, touchwiz built on top of jellybean. From the youtube videos I've seen, the Note 3 has way more features almost to the point where it can confuse the crap out of a first time user. At the same time, it does make the iphone look very basic in comparison.

I'm not interested in a iphone v Note 3 debate. I currently have an iphone but can't stop thinking about the Note 3. So I was just wanting to know of anyone's experiences going from an iphone to a Note series device, for better or worse.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

Congrats on the purchase. My manager has been saying for a while he'd buy a Note 3. Wish he would hurry up and get his first smartphone so I can have a look.

I could never justify a phone approaching 6" in screen size, I think the pissing contest is just getting ridiculous. Why else would HTC go for precisely 5.9"? You'd have to think that 2014 will see the first 6" phone. I need something that will go in my back pocket.

Why did you specifically get a phone with a stylus? Do you see that as something you will actually use?

I've played with a Note at work and while it's a hell of a device it's just not for me (purely due to the size).

Most people over complicate the whole iOS to Android move. Yes most Android devices have an insane amount of options/features what you'll probably never touch, but that's like saying you're not going to buy a car because you COULD fit bodykits/turbos/superchargers/exhausts/blahblah to it..... you CAN, but you don't have to.

Sounds like Apple are entering the pissing contest with strong rumours from a reliable source on 4.7" and 5.5" models in the works ;)

Any specific Android questions? I think it's just like anything technology related in life; you'll pick it all up pretty quickly. Especially moreso if you are young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back