NBN issue to the house

Remove this Banner Ad

iDon

Find me on the Golf Board
Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Just a little vent and guess after anyone's experience here but after purchasing first house in inner Melbourne our NBN box had never been connected.

NBN came out within 10 days, which guess okay. After installing box inside, he runs some tests and comes back 30 mins later and explains the box at the street into the house isn't connecting to the four houses which we are one. (Funny one is a pub but they seem to be running fine). He couldn't really explain it to me in basic terms but he said we had a mix of two different types of NBN coming into the house, the signal wasn't getting to us and another tech will need to come out.

Aussie broadband sent me an email after and said NBN will fix it as soon as possible but this can be weeks to months away. Which in my eyes is unacceptable but that's pretty common? Anyone had to wait for NBN to do this fix? My only point of call is through AB which is weird. Can you track it with NBN when they are actioning it?

Super frustrating, we both rely on the internet for WFH. Guess we can get a dongle (do they exist still?).

Just a vent really, and vague on details because I haven't the foggiest idea what he was saying.

Just a little vent and guess after anyone's experience here but after purchasing first house in inner Melbourne our NBN box had never been connected.

NBN came out within 10 days, which guess okay. After installing box inside, he runs some tests and comes back 30 mins later and explains the box at the street into the house isn't connecting to the four houses which we are one. (Funny one is a pub but they seem to be running fine). He couldn't really explain it to me in basic terms but he said we had a mix of two different types of NBN coming into the house, the signal wasn't getting to us and another tech will need to come out.

Aussie broadband sent me an email after and said NBN will fix it as soon as possible but this can be weeks to months away. Which in my eyes is unacceptable but that's pretty common? Anyone had to wait for NBN to do this fix? My only point of call is through AB which is weird. Can you track it with NBN when they are actioning it?

Super frustrating, we both rely on the internet for WFH. Guess we can get a dongle (do they exist still?).

Just a vent really, and vague on details because I haven't the foggiest idea what he was saying.
surely NBN co can 'check' your address on their site...just go type it in or any retailer site that wants your dollar really...

here...10 Smith st Collingwood...just randomly

oh yes you need some other means (your phone maybe?) to check it since you haven't got the internet...

surely NBN co can 'check' your address on their site...just go type it in or any retailer site that wants your dollar really...

here...10 Smith st Collingwood...just randomly

oh yes you need some other means (your phone maybe?) to check it since you haven't got the internet...

Thanks, have had a look and it says its available but doesn't list that there is an issue.

"Speak with your service provider"

Will just continue to hound Aussie Broadband til they give me a date that it will be sorted.

Thanks, have had a look and it says its available but doesn't list that there is an issue.

"Speak with your service provider"

Will just continue to hound Aussie Broadband til they give me a date that it will be sorted.
ok so that tells me NBN co has prepped everything on their end...the retailer has to sort out what 'slight' technical issue is and connect you, probably their end is the problem.

you got one of these? From NBN co, my guess is you got no lights instead of 4 atm.
IMG_20240108_184331674~2.jpg

ok so that tells me NBN co has prepped everything on their end...the retailer has to sort out what 'slight' technical issue is and connect you, probably their end is the problem.

you got one of these? From NBN co, my guess is you got no lights instead of 4 atm.
View attachment 1883495

Nope. All four lights are good to go.

It's NBN issue on the street. No signal is coming from the street into the four houses connected at that point.

Four lights, no internet. Nothing coming through and AB can't just flick a switch as NBN have cancelled the order.
From what it sounds like, there's some kind of technical shortfall. I used to work in NBN connecting FTTC, and the way it works is that their internal systems have to give your location the "all clear" before they can allow it to be serviceable. So if there's any shortfall that NBN picks up, AB can't do s**t about it. Aussie Broadband is a good ISP too, so they'd be telling the truth.

You mentioned that it is affecting multiple houses, right? If you can escalate this through your MP they can get it to go quicker. Once any government figure steps in, NBN will usually prioritise it.

From what it sounds like, there's some kind of technical shortfall. I used to work in NBN connecting FTTC, and the way it works is that their internal systems have to give your location the "all clear" before they can allow it to be serviceable. So if there's any shortfall that NBN picks up, AB can't do s**t about it. Aussie Broadband is a good ISP too, so they'd be telling the truth.

You mentioned that it is affecting multiple houses, right? If you can escalate this through your MP they can get it to go quicker. Once any government figure steps in, NBN will usually prioritise it.

Thanks I'll give it this week and follow up with AB daily to see if they can hound them. Haven't spoken to the neighbors yet what's going on but seems ridiculous that the they guy installing it and testing it couldn't fix it without logging it and waiting for someone else to come along.

Living in 2024 but stuck in 1970s currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Update.

Raised a complaint with AB. They were great and dug into it for more information. We complained to NBN and included that I would be speaking with my local Maps.

Got an email back from NBN escalating it and them they contacted AB.

The issue is listed as critical. That is that our house needs services to be fixed but the other 3 houses on same node are fine. So they now need to contact the other 3 houses to let them know that the NBN will be shut off to fix ours.

So still early Feb before we have a fix.

AB will also compensate us for the time lost.

Happy with AB. Disappointed with NBN and frustrated they have listed this as critical but are unable to do anything til they notify. Having worked in government before I assume that this will be 2 weeks to issue the notification.

Update.

Raised a complaint with AB. They were great and dug into it for more information. We complained to NBN and included that I would be speaking with my local Maps.

Got an email back from NBN escalating it and them they contacted AB.

The issue is listed as critical. That is that our house needs services to be fixed but the other 3 houses on same node are fine. So they now need to contact the other 3 houses to let them know that the NBN will be shut off to fix ours.

So still early Feb before we have a fix.

AB will also compensate us for the time lost.

Happy with AB. Disappointed with NBN and frustrated they have listed this as critical but are unable to do anything til they notify. Having worked in government before I assume that this will be 2 weeks to issue the notification.
Can you confirm your new house never previously had a FTTN or FTTC connection?

I am also with AB, currently on FTTN but with terrible drop outs (over 1km to the node). They occur around the same time each night.

Have upgraded to FTTP, someone will come out in February. I was told (by AB) you will stay on the FTTN connection until the FTTP connection is confirmed working. Perhaps your circumstances are a bit different.

Yeah, AB are great. Received compensation twice from them (or maybe they get it through NBN?).

I work from home and can't go without the Internet. Also I am on a large block and the house is about 50m from the road. This has me a bit worried. But if I can keep the old FTTN connection until the FTTP is active I'm fine with that.

Randomly stumbled across this thread.

Gee that's rough...

Did this ever end up getting sorted by NBN?
I assume you are referring to the OP but I'd like a little vent.

In my case, no. Got the text the day before, responded with the "1" for yes, someone will be home. I had important matters to attend to that day but this needed to be done so I stayed home. No one turned up. I remember ringing AB but I can't remember the details.

Later get a text saying the appointment is now in April and who is to say that won't be extended?

Seriously considering going wireless. No 5G here and 4G isn't the fastest, but being over 1K from the node it makes it a viable option. I have absolutely no faith in NBN being able to provide FTTP. The whole area is similar with its infrastructure for many houses. It just seems beyond NBN's scope.

I assume you are referring to the OP but I'd like a little vent.

In my case, no. Got the text the day before, responded with the "1" for yes, someone will be home. I had important matters to attend to that day but this needed to be done so I stayed home. No one turned up. I remember ringing AB but I can't remember the details.

Later get a text saying the appointment is now in April and who is to say that won't be extended?

Seriously considering going wireless. No 5G here and 4G isn't the fastest, but being over 1K from the node it makes it a viable option. I have absolutely no faith in NBN being able to provide FTTP. The whole area is similar with its infrastructure for many houses. It just seems beyond NBN's scope.
Unfortunately it's quite a common occurrence with NBN and setting planned remediation dates months and months into the future. I had a guy whose date was set to 2097 - had a laugh about it but somehow don't think it's far off.

They're also extremely reluctant to come out to fix any FTTN-related line issue when the upgrade is already in progress.

ABB have rolled out the NL19s with their own firmware patch this year. This has the sim back-up in the router similar to what Telstra do with their smart modem.

Your install should be done by then but always good to have the backup wireless option handy.

Unfortunately it's quite a common occurrence with NBN and setting planned remediation dates months and months into the future. I had a guy whose date was set to 2097 - had a laugh about it but somehow don't think it's far off.

They're also extremely reluctant to come out to fix any FTTN-related line issue when the upgrade is already in progress.

ABB have rolled out the NL19s with their own firmware patch this year. This has the sim back-up in the router similar to what Telstra do with their smart modem.

Your install should be done by then but always good to have the backup wireless option handy.
Thanks, I wasn't aware they were doing this but knew Telstra were.

It makes sense to upgrade to this and then ditch NBN when the time comes. As I mentioned I've being given compensation twice, plus a discount off the bill for six months. I must have had close to 20 technicians come out.

Thanks, I wasn't aware they were doing this but knew Telstra were.

It makes sense to upgrade to this and then ditch NBN when the time comes. As I mentioned I've being given compensation twice, plus a discount off the bill for six months. I must have had close to 20 technicians come out.
Yeah the compensation comes completely out of ABB's pocket too. NBN doesn't give them a cent.

Looks like they're looking after you pretty well. Good to hear.

Yeah the compensation comes completely out of ABB's pocket too. NBN doesn't give them a cent.

Looks like they're looking after you pretty well. Good to hear.
Yeah I can't fault ABB, but there is only so much they can do. Even though FTTP is available many of the houses in my area are on larger blocks set back from the road. In my case you may be looking at 60m.

I guess I just have to see what they say but I'm not holding up any hope.

Mine was finally resolved after a number of back and forths with AB. It would take me to continue to hound them to put some sort of pressure on NBN. I also sent a large email to my local federal member and got a response from their staff but it was already sorted.

I suggest emailing your federal member and having your ISP put in a complaint to NBN saying that you are in the process of raising it with MP. Really helped me but still 6 weeks was a complete joke of a turn around time.

Mine was finally resolved after a number of back and forths with AB. It would take me to continue to hound them to put some sort of pressure on NBN. I also sent a large email to my local federal member and got a response from their staff but it was already sorted.

I suggest emailing your federal member and having your ISP put in a complaint to NBN saying that you are in the process of raising it with MP. Really helped me but still 6 weeks was a complete joke of a turn around time.
I can't go without Internet for six weeks. Had an NBN tech here the other day so could pick his brains (but took it with not much authority). Sorry don't remember the terms for the boxes.

He said the "outside box", would go in the shed. The shed is a seperate building to the house but where the cable first runs into. He said the "inside" box would go where you want it inside. Obviously we would want that near where the current modem and cable is. We have Ethernet cable running throughout the house and really need it in that room.

It would be ideal if that happened. He also mentioned they don't disconnect the old FTTN line until the FTTP is up and running.

Also, a week or so ago I rang ABB with my concerns. The person I spoke to said raise it with your federal member BEFORE complaining to NBN. I found that odd. Perhaps they were basing it on their experience. Or perhaps it makes ABB look better, no idea.

I can't go without Internet for six weeks. Had an NBN tech here the other day so could pick his brains (but took it with not much authority). Sorry don't remember the terms for the boxes.

He said the "outside box", would go in the shed. The shed is a seperate building to the house but where the cable first runs into. He said the "inside" box would go where you want it inside. Obviously we would want that near where the current modem and cable is. We have Ethernet cable running throughout the house and really need it in that room.

It would be ideal if that happened. He also mentioned they don't disconnect the old FTTN line until the FTTP is up and running.

Also, a week or so ago I rang ABB with my concerns. The person I spoke to said raise it with your federal member BEFORE complaining to NBN. I found that odd. Perhaps they were basing it on their experience. Or perhaps it makes ABB look better, no idea.

Sorry didn't get back to you earlier. Thats rubbish from ABB, tell them that you want to escalate a complaint immediately with NBN and that you would like your support ticket number. Get them to punch out a complaint from what you tell them and include that you have spoken with you Federal Member.

Sorry didn't get back to you earlier. Thats rubbish from ABB, tell them that you want to escalate a complaint immediately with NBN and that you would like your support ticket number. Get them to punch out a complaint from what you tell them and include that you have spoken with you Federal Member.
Have had how many complaints and ticket numbers with ABB, but have also received compensation and discounts which has made it less of a pain. The next step will be the TIO. I agree I don't see the point of going through a member of parliament, yet.

I have the FTTP people coming out to the house in a couple of weeks. I can say now they won't like what they will see. If I don't get want I want I will cancel and just repeat. Some say it depends on the tech.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back