Preview Geelong v Port Friday May 10 710 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are very depleted too. Any side with visentini as a 1st ruck and evans and mcentee on a bench isnt that strong.
We have Stanley first ruck. He's dog shit.

I suspect Bowes will be a late in. High chance

For dempsey?

No - it comes down to who is prepared to wash Scotts car and wash it properly

And your man Hardie and Mannagh , have point blank refused to wash it

Where as that little ex Footscray bloke Dallhaus , he didnt just wash Scotts car , he rotated the wheels plus did the wheel allignment , even replaced the Timing Chain for him - and thus he got picked week after week after week when his form said he shouldnt have been

And failing all that , weve got Brandon

I dont know why people are getting worked up over brandan getting games.
He is in the group of 24th-28th on the depth chart outside the best 23 and we are clearly going to rest 2 or 3 guys every week so he will get lots of rotation games.
I doubt he is in the best 23 come finals and thats all that matters really.

I do agree mannagh should be in though.

We have Stanley first ruck. He's dog s**t.

He is but if he cant handle visinteni he ought to retire-i reckon he will handle it.

Even with our outs id prefer close atkins rohan clark and mullin as a bench every day over mead mcentee burton evans and finlayson.

It's coming to the situation that reality will set in over the next 2 months, and we realise that our list is just not that great in MF and ruck any more, and where we were expected to finish preseason will only be incorrect because we started 7-0

No ones list is much better though bc the league is average. Im not convinced there are 6 teams actually better than us.

No - it comes down to who is prepared to wash Scotts car and wash it properly

And your man Hardie and Mannagh , have point blank refused to wash it

Where as that little ex Footscray bloke Dallhaus , he didnt just wash Scotts car , he rotated the wheels plus did the wheel allignment , even replaced the Timing Chain for him - and thus he got picked week after week after week when his form said he shouldnt have been

And failing all that , weve got Brandon
Brandon’s car washing must have fallen off dramatically last year. Only played nine senior games, well down on previous years.

I still wouldn't mind the option of Dempsey as sub to manage his minutes without him sitting out a full game. Then Mullin at half back releases AA-form Holmes more into our depleted midfield.

But Mullin as sub might be more likely.

If Dempsey was on the bench I'd agree, but he's been named on the wing so thinking we'll be leaning towards him starting

I was looking at those named on the bench & with Mullin coming off a 5-day break, he seemed to make sense this week

If Dempsey was on the bench I'd agree, but he's been named on the wing so thinking we'll be leaning towards him starting

I was looking at those named on the bench & with Mullin coming off a 5-day break, he seemed to make sense this week
Agree. I suspect Mullin makes the most sense if we are having a guess.

Dempsey would surely be rested for a full game - most likely now against Gold Coast with Bruhn, 2E and Bowes coming back in round 10 (unless Bowes is a late change tomorrow).

To me (and maybe reading way too much into it) the managing of 2E again is interesting. This is his 3rd time in 9 rounds. When he spoke on radio a couple of weeks ago he mentioned he thought it would be every “4 or 5 games” (despite the fact he doesn’t want to at all).

Now the last time he came back was his best game in a long time so if he does that again it might become self fulfilling. Of course if he doesn’t play well then I think we could see him drift out of best 23. Again maybe I am reading too much into it

He is but if he cant handle visinteni he ought to retire-i reckon he will handle it.

Even with our outs id prefer close atkins rohan clark and mullin as a bench every day over mead mcentee burton evans and finlayson.
What if we ruck with Blitz, SDK and Rohan? Reckon that could work…Just thinking outloud…

Dempsey would surely be rested for a full game - most likely now against Gold Coast with Bruhn, 2E and Bowes coming back in round 10 (unless Bowes is a late change tomorrow).

To me (and maybe reading way too much into it) the managing of 2E again is interesting. This is his 3rd time in 9 rounds. When he spoke on radio a couple of weeks ago he mentioned he thought it would be every “4 or 5 games” (despite the fact he doesn’t want to at all).

Now the last time he came back was his best game in a long time so if he does that again it might become self fulfilling. Of course if he doesn’t play well then I think we could see him drift out of best 23. Again maybe I am reading too much into it
I still don't think Tuosy is best 23 with our full list despite his great cameo against Carlton. Just a very useful squad player that will still play plenty of games while we are keen on using our top 26 players with a couple missing.

Regarding Tuohy, I feel like he started the season somewhere around the 20th -> 25th player on the list, and while his form & fitness would be important to hold his spot in the seniors, there'd also be an element on the form & fitness of others as to how he continued to fit in

I wouldn't be surprised if Tuohy has dropped slightly in the pecking order, which is why we've seen him managed for the 3rd time already just 9 rounds into the season. But it's also been injuries to others that have kept a spot or two available across the season - and with it being guys like Dangerfield, Duncan, Stewart, Bruhn, Rohan etc who've missed games across the season, they've favoured Tuohy's experience

Before the season started I don't think it would be crazy to suggest he would have been rated higher than Dempsey, but after 8 rounds you can start to see a player like Dempsey looking more settled in the senior side, and if the last spot was between those two, I'd now be backing in the youngster

Looking at this weeks 23, IF we had both Dangerfield & Bruhn available, plus Bowes not being managed, I'm not sure how Tuohy fits in without someone else being managed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn't we
Because we need midfielders and the kid should be playing as much as possible.
Are people seriously turning Clark into the new whipping boy?

It's worked out SUPER WELL when they did it with Zuthrie and Miers lol
What's Hardie? I get he needs games but let's be honest not really knocking the house down, sure he needs game time but you could argue that for ever VFL player, not sure why he's gifted games.

Mullin again really? He must have pictures of Scotty, Managh and Hardie will be pretty pissed i reckon and rightly so, have deserved a shot more than Mullin.

This is the thing for me, i'm not as big on Mullin playing in our AFL side as others are.
There's multiple guys who can play his role, he should be putting extra in time in the VFL earning his spot.

He's had some good VFL games, but so have a lot of guys.

Last edited:
Here's the Port team

Round 9 Team Selection

B: K Farrell 6, B Zerk-Thatcher 25, A Aliir 21
HB: M Bergman 14, E Ratugolea 27, D Houston 5
C: J Sinn, O Wines 16, W Drew 28
HF: D Byrne-Jones 33, T Marshall 4, M Georgiades 19
F: T Boak 10, C Dixon 22, W Rioli 15
Foll: D Visentini 38, J Horne-Francis 18, Z Butters 9-C
I/C: R Burton 3, J Finlayson 11, F Evans 31, J McEntee 41, J Mead 44

Emergencies: T Clurey 17, D Williams 23, W Lorenz 36
Wow

I can't name anywhere they're strong

Makes it hard to plan a game against them though

It's coming to the situation that reality will set in over the next 2 months, and we realise that our list is just not that great in MF and ruck any more, and where we were expected to finish preseason will only be incorrect because we started 7-0
I think they know. They just have 12 months to add players

Mullin a late out for Bowes would be us taking the piss... It's a move well within Scotty's repertoire.
We come to find out right before the bounce that Mullin is still in Europe, never came back to Australia, Scotty knew all along and just wanted to make a SCOTTY LATE CHANGE ™

Can picture Danger and Scotty in the box like :coffee:

patrick dangerfield tea GIF by geelongcats

Tend to feel that aside from the over 30 players, we are managing this squad a little early. Surely, after 7 rounds Bowes isn’t needing a rest?

Corked calf before the season started and a couple of soft tissue injuries last season - maybe it's about load management, especially with a trip to Darwin up next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back