LFTWNG11

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
S.S. Lazio
This guy is probably my favourite up and coming fighter.

Just wondering what those in the know what may be in store for this guy now that he has parted with M-1 Global. Obviously this may pave the way for him to enter the UFC...??

My take is that he is only 24 and he would do well to have a couple more years experience in the Dream tournaments and Strikeforce. That being said he still has a contract with Strikeforce for 3 more fights (apparently?) where I believe he could well defend his LHW title successfully, then i think he may be ready for a step up to the LHW division in UFC, which without a doubt is the strognest division in MMA at the moment.

Yeah I like the sound of that. He's got all the skills and really he could do well in the UFC LHW division right now, but there's no rush. Let him run through the Strikeforce division and fight a few more times in Japan then hopefully he'll come to the UFC. He's planning to go to HW though, so by then he may have made the transition.

I like Mousasi a lot. He's not up to challenging the top UFC guys yet but he's got age on his side. I think he'll join the UFC next year once his Strikeforce contract expires and he's cleaned out Japan. The fact that he's been training with GSP lately shows that he's broadening his horizons by training with the best after already spending some time with Fedor. Just imagine how good he'll be in 4-5 years.

georgesstpierreandgegar.jpg

You should become a Gegard Mousasi fan on facebook because his page is really good. He does a lot of the updates himself and even responds to some of the fan comments occasionally. There's cool training videos and articles on there as well.

Mousasi is one of my favourite fighters. Been on his bandwagon since the Pride Bushido days and then was stoked with him winning the MW tourney in Dream, where everyone started to take notice.

I look at him as the next coming of Fedor. Very similar demenour and well roundedness. Hope he moves to the UFC and does well. But defending the SF belt against some GOOD fighters (Hendo/King Mo to start with) should be his first priority.

Just imagine how good he'll be in 4-5 years.

He's said many times he'll quit fighting at 30, which gives him a little over 5 years... hopefully he peaks well before then.

Has the potential to develop into a genuine best P4P contender.

War Mousasi!

Love watching this guy fight, just so calm under pressure and has the standup and ground game to take a fight anywhere he wants.

If he stayed at 185 there is heaps of good fights for him in Strikeforce but their 205 division is pretty average. King Mo would be a good test though.

Im still dreaming of a superfight between Anderson Silva.

[youtube]J6V5Pf1sR5M[/youtube]

Oh, Fedor you crazy kid!

[youtube]Lj8wQFKy7Rs[/youtube]

He's said many times he'll quit fighting at 30, which gives him a little over 5 years... hopefully he peaks well before then.

Has the potential to develop into a genuine best P4P contender.
Do you have a link for this? Can't say I have heard him say this... disappointing if true I reckon, he should have another 10 years in the sport. Fighters are different to AFL athletes for example, they usually maintain their peak well into their 30's where as AFL players are done by 30.

I don't think he will ever be as good as the Last Emperor P4P, espeically if he does go to HW, but I do see him as a major contender for the best LHW in the world if he manages his career correctly.

If UFC give him a big contract and fights he will be stupid to knock it back.

I like watching Dream but Mousasi is too good to be fighting guys like Goodridge etc

If UFC give him a big contract and fights he will be stupid to knock it back.

I like watching Dream but Mousasi is too good to be fighting guys like Goodridge etc

^This. Once he's beaten all of Strikeforce and Dream's top guys (which could be by the end of this year) he's going to want to face the best and that's in the UFC.

[youtube]J6V5Pf1sR5M[/youtube]

Oh, Fedor you crazy kid!

[youtube]Lj8wQFKy7Rs[/youtube]
I love that one with the ice. It's so childish and lame but Fedor doing anything other than standing there awkwardly or smashing someone's face in is hilarious.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17715/with-planned-retirement-at-30-gegard-mousasi-searching-for-best-career-options.mma

One aspect that may preclude him joining UFC in the short to medium term is their exclusivity... Gerard likes SF because he can compete elsewhere too (ie DREAM).
Thanks for that. I don't understand why he wants the HW division or to finish his career so early... but fair enough, as long as keeps showcasing and putting on good fights, I will be more than happy to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he simply wants to preserve his quality of life post fighting by not trashing his body by fighting for too long.

To him fighting is a means to an end, a way of setting himself up financially for the rest of his life.

Is he married? Could be the missus speaking... ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back