news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Duffee with that wild swing. Never seen anyone leave themselves so open for a counter. He was even leaning in toward the punch.

Lol.

great counter.. and the lights went out!

I only just started watching for that fight.. we're there any good ones along the way?
Watch the Ferguson v Thompson fight. Thats where I came in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will do.. was holm after that? read that was a stinker

Holm looked very good, but Reneau really didn't do much. Tried for one takedown in three rounds from memory and was thoroughly out-struck for the entire fight.

The Jouban/Dwyer fight was pretty good, so check that out if you get the chance. Gamburyan and Jorgensen was decent as well. Make sure you stay well clear of the undercard though... was very dull.

Not taking away from Mir's win at all, but what the hell was this from Duffee:

CKDMPciUEAACazg.jpg

CKDTq6nUAAA5ChZ.jpg

Seriously, look at his stance in the second pic! I think even I could have landed a shot on him at that moment!

Not taking away from Mir's win at all, but what the hell was this from Duffee:

CKDMPciUEAACazg.jpg

CKDTq6nUAAA5ChZ.jpg

Seriously, look at his stance in the second pic! I think even I could have landed a shot on him at that moment!
haha technique was defiantly at a minimal coz frank was winging em too. he needs to strike like he did in the first big nog fight.. that was clinical

haha technique was defiantly at a minimal coz frank was winging em too. he needs to strike like he did in the first big nog fight.. that was clinical

The fight ending strike was a beautiful short left, but agreed it was a wild, sloppy fight. Great fun to watch though!

To be fair to Duffee, he'd already been hurt in the fight prior to throwing that terrible punch. Not hurt enough to lose all technique though. He's just not a good technical striker and yet he's knocked a bunch of people out. That's heavyweight for ya. Mir mentioned before the fight that Duffee's boxing isn't great.

When picking Ferguson in the tipping comps I've been saying that he does dumb stuff too often. I'm not saying that again because the only time it worked against him was when he fought Castillo. He took taking stupid decisions to another level against Castillo. The way he fights could cost him as he moves up the ranks, but it also makes him such an exciting fighter. Just dominated Thomson.

It seems most are divided on Holm, either she fought great or poorly. I'm somewhere in between those two, but this is what you should expect from Holm IMO. People saw her knockouts (or didn't see them, but looked at her record) and thought that she's a knockout machine. She has very little power in her hands, but will KO someone who's far beneath her with her kicks. She looked better this fight than her first in the UFC, but I think that might just be because Pennington took it to her. Reneau was disappointing and I was certainly expecting more from her, but I'm not sure why. She got dropped by Andrade in her last fight.

How did everyone feel about the changes the UFC made at the 189 PPV?

I thought the graphics looked really good and live singing before the main-eventers entered was cool. Somehow they made 'Face the Pain' worse though. The song's terrible but at least it had a bit of an ability to pump you up, whereas the remixed version doesn't and is still terrible. Projecting the Irish flag onto the Octagon was really cool too.

How did everyone feel about the changes the UFC made at the 189 PPV?

I thought the graphics looked really good and live singing before the main-eventers entered was cool. Somehow they made 'Face the Pain' worse though. The song's terrible but at least it had a bit of an ability to pump you up, whereas the remixed version doesn't and is still terrible. Projecting the Irish flag onto the Octagon was really cool too.

Not a fan of the new intro

UFC 200 set for early July next year. Means they'll slow down their PPV schedule a bit I think, which sounds good to me.

I've seen people calling for 4 title fights. Other cards would suffer big time if they did that, and the UFC have said that they won't do 3 in one night again, let alone 4.

It's too far out to work out any fights, but I'd say they'll want McGregor and Rousey on that card. If Anderson's back by then they could have him on the card. Jones is an option if he's back fighting too.

Aldo always speaks his mind. Said the uniforms suck and that they look like power rangers. His comments on the IV ban were funny. Saying that he'd like it better if there was another big promotion to compete with the UFC, and mentioning how the UFC buys other promotions is something I don't think any other champions would be talking about this openly. For his sake, he'd better not lose his title any time soon. I find it hard to believe that he didn't watch the McGregor/Mendes fight though.

With the way that he speaks his mind, I think if Aldo spoke English he would be really popular in English speaking places, most importantly in the US. The majority of English speaking casual fans obviously don't give a s**t about fighters if they don't speak English.

A lot of stuff Aldo is saying would be annoying for the UFC. Interestingly there's some things McGregor has said that they'd be annoyed with too, like saying that he wants to co-promote fights at some stage and that he wants to own the UFC. If he keeps getting bigger, they'll have a monster on their hands.

I think this is awesome.

On another note, people saying Aldo is scared of McGregor are funny. I think I saw someone in the 189 thread call him a 'Brazilian chicken'. Someone who was living in the favelas and would show up to training hungry, is too scared to fight a man one-on-one for a lot of money. Right.

McGregor brings out the worst on both sides. Some still try to tell you that McGregor's not a good fighter and others might as well say they think he'll be a 6 division champion.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back