Giants in the AFL Hall of Fame? Who do we think we'll see there?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the concept of the hall of fame, something that is done much better than the Rugby codes (which is more my background) and I think about who should or could go in to the HOF, or what sort of things could a player do to push them into contention, I think about this far much more than I should!

Chocco Williams going in as reinvigorated my Giants in the HOF thinking

Hopefully others are interested in this as well :)

Sheedy and Chocco are in and basically the role they played at the Giants had no impact on their inductions so we cant really count them too much, but we have a couple potential nominations coming up.

Stevie J is almost a lock to go in at some stage and is now eligible. I think his 2 years with us play a role. It got him to 290 games and being part of the finishing touches to us being contenders added to his legacy. But again his Geelong work is what gets him in.

Heath Shaw will be eligible next year or the year after and is a reasonable chance to go in.
330ish games, 2 All Australians, A BnF and a premiership is a very good record. The games especially really help. He has the big moment with the smother, the family name and high profile all help. I think he probably goes in. He is as much a Giant as he is a Magpie, and we can claim him for sure as one of ours.

From our original batch of Giants

Jeremy Cameron seems destined to go in, a couple Colemans, all the club leading goal kickers, 3 All Australians already, he looks like he'll finish somewhere around 300 games, he has a premiership and is likely to finish with a few more accolades before he was done.

Toby Greene is a cult hero and if he keeps going is a very good chance to go in eventually. He has a BnF and 3 All Australians, he prob needs a couple more of either to guarantee it. The club will likely push hard when he becomes eligible to have a full home grown Giants HoFer

others with a way to go but a chance
Josh Kelly is signed to an age that should see him play over 300 games, which is a big start to these things, he has 2 BnF's (I think) and a an All Australian rep so far. If he is able to keep this seasons form and add a couple more all Australians and/or Bnfs (and a premiership or 2 would be nice) he'll be right in the mix.

Sam Taylor is right at the begining of his journey, but having an All Australian and a BnF so early in his career and how good he is looked again this season, you'd think over the next decade or so he is going to end up with a ton of accolades.

Everyone else is too young or unlikley, but I like to dream, if we won a comp and Cogs won the Norm Smith and picked up the BnF (which he would be in the mix for this year) or AA maybe he could sneak in with being captain and a lot of games likely.

As I said, I think about the HoF way more than most, I love the concept.

What do others think?

Heater will make it and is, as you say, as much a giant as a pie.

Ward gets to 300 next year and would be close considering his role as start-up captain.

Otherwise we have, again as you say, Jezza, Toby and then a little big wait to Slammer, Green and Harley Reid

Heater will make it and is, as you say, as much a giant as a pie.

Ward gets to 300 next year and would be close considering his role as start-up captain.

Otherwise we have, again as you say, Jezza, Toby and then a little big wait to Slammer, Green and Harley Reid
Ward is an outside chance with the 10 years as captain of a start up club being the driver. If he gets to 300 that may get him close.

Despite the 8 or 9 top 3's in the BnF, he only got 1 and no all Australians, and unlikely to add to that, that will probably hurt his chances.

The club might push hard and sneak him in, which would be great!

If he was to jag a Norm Smith this year, add in premiership player and and Norm Smith and all of a sudden is looking like a great candidate

Ward is an outside chance with the 10 years as captain of a start up club being the driver. If he gets to 300 that may get him close.

Despite the 8 or 9 top 3's in the BnF, he only got 1 and no all Australians, and unlikely to add to that, that will probably hurt his chances.

The club might push hard and sneak him in, which would be great!

If he was to jag a Norm Smith this year, add in premiership player and and Norm Smith and all of a sudden is looking like a great candidate
Yeah …. I see his role for the club as the main driving force …. A premiership would be great though

Heater, Toby, Jezza, Jelly, Slammer, Idun, Buckley, Cumming, Callaghan, Green, Reid, Daniels, Bedford, Jones… and probably a few more.
A lot of those guys will have 4,5 and 6 premierships, will be hard to leave them out.
Kingsley as a 12 time premiership coach will finish with legend status.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back