Going away?

Remove this Banner Ad

How was umpiring in Queensland?

It was great :thumbsu: One of the best weeks of my life, not only did I see the best young talent in Australia running around I got to meet a bunch of great guys from all over Australia and enjoy a summer like climate :)

Was a bit of a shame SA went win less.

It was great :thumbsu: One of the best weeks of my life, not only did I see the best young talent in Australia running around I got to meet a bunch of great guys from all over Australia and enjoy a summer like climate :)

That sounds awesome Rory. Were there many SANFL/AFL scouts there?

That sounds awesome Rory. Were there many SANFL/AFL scouts there?

Yeah basically every team had a scout, although I didn't see any Port Adelaide reps there, but I'm sure they were there somewhere on the outer. Kevin Sheehan was there taking all his notes and there were quite a few ex AFL footballers around the place.

Why were they running ? ;)

Were there any names that you put in the memory banks as potential future stars?

The only South Australian player that stood out to me was George Long (could be a relation of Michael) of the Port Magpies, naturally ;)

But as for the other states these are the players that stood out to me

Michael Walters- WA
Kieran King- WA
Hugh Greenwood- TAS
Rory Thompson- QLD
Corey Millard- VIC Metro

So it will be very interesting to look back on this post in 3 years time :)

Going away for 5 weeks to teach in the country. Let's win the flag, farquen.

Going away for 5 weeks to teach in the country. Let's win the flag, farquen.

Hope ya teach up a storm Breshy.

I've no idea what your on about...........but i'll follow till i do :D

By then we would have played in a Prelim, and god knows what happened after that.

Re: Schulz to Port Adelaide

Sorry to be nosey, blackdiamond. But I thought you were moving to New Orleans where your GF/fiance lives/works. How come you ended up in Detroit?

Thats okay, the lab that my (now) wife works for moved from the University of New Orleans to Wayne State University (Detroit) due to a few issues involving her Professor and UNO, plus the money just aint there anymore, some things are taking a little bit more time to recover after Katrina.

We would much prefer to be back close to New Orleans than Detroit but the place is slowly growing on us.

Thats okay, the lab that my (now) wife works for moved from the University of New Orleans to Wayne State University (Detroit) due to a few issues involving her Professor and UNO, plus the money just aint there anymore, some things are taking a little bit more time to recover after Katrina.

We would much prefer to be back close to New Orleans than Detroit but the place is slowly growing on us.

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds strange.
But congratulations on the marriage.
I guess the keyword is "slowly". But hopefully you guys settle in an ideal city than move around a lot.

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds strange.
But congratulations on the marriage.
I guess the keyword is "slowly". But hopefully you guys settle in an ideal city than move around a lot.

There is talk of another move already but thats a good two years down the track and still may not even come to fruition.

I probably lost you before with my abbreviation for University of New Orleans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is talk of another move already but thats a good two years down the track and still may not even come to fruition.

I probably lost you before with my abbreviation for University of New Orleans.

Oh man, what an idiot I am. lol. It's 2am here, blame that.

And another move?! Where to? I guess you get to see America like this.

Oh man, what an idiot I am. lol. It's 2am here, blame that.

And another move?! Where to? I guess you get to see America like this.

Baltimore, Washington D.C.

Yes its one way to see the USA, plus its good to be so close to Canada and Europe, not that we have done any travelling to those parts together yet.

Baltimore, Washington D.C.

Yes its one way to see the USA, plus its good to be so close to Canada and Europe, not that we have done any travelling to those parts together yet.

You'll love Washington DC. Awesome place.
And I always think the best way to see any place is by living there for an amount of time and blending into the culture, the hang outs, the lifestyle.
When you travel it tends to be a rush job of seeing the sights and you often don't really get a flavor for the uniqueness of that city.
I also recommend Texas, Chicago, northern California/Portland.
Actually, there's so many interesting places all over that you can't go wrong.
Are you working there? And what are you doing, if you dont mind my intrusiveness.

You'll love Washington DC. Awesome place.
And I always think the best way to see any place is by living there for an amount of time and blending into the culture, the hang outs, the lifestyle.
When you travel it tends to be a rush job of seeing the sights and you often don't really get a flavor for the uniqueness of that city.
I also recommend Texas, Chicago, northern California/Portland.
Actually, there's so many interesting places all over that you can't go wrong.
Are you working there? And what are you doing, if you dont mind my intrusiveness.

At this stage I am still waiting on authorization for work, I have been approved but the letter is yet to be sent from USCIS (even though this approval was on the 20th of August), I have been told not to expect anything until the end of October.

From there I can apply for a Social Security Number, given the pace of this process I can probably start looking for work in the new year. :eek:

At this stage I am still waiting on authorization for work, I have been approved but the letter is yet to be sent from USCIS (even though this approval was on the 20th of August), I have been told not to expect anything until the end of October.

From there I can apply for a Social Security Number, given the pace of this process I can probably start looking for work in the new year. :eek:

But, it's all headlong now for you. A few months of leisure then catapulted into being a regular joe. But chin up, you'll get good money.
Best wishes in all that. If you do take pics of places you're at, it would be cool if you could post them maybe in some Twilight Zone thread.

Not a problem at all, will post here whenever I get a few good pictures.

Have just started up with facebook so I am having a bit of fun with that and posting pictures there.

If you want my details for facebook let me know and I will PM you with the details.

We have just received our first good downfall of snow so I thought I might share a few of the pictures with you.

n668067098_308955_1753.jpg

n668067098_308956_2128.jpg

n668067098_308961_4646.jpg

n668067098_308958_3139.jpg

Yes its sure a difference from a hot Adelaide summer, it went down to something like -7 degree celsius overnight, will be interesting to see what it is like when Winter really hits.

When I lived in Canada they were certain roads that were kept clear by snow ploughs and if you parked your car there it was just tossed out of the way. Do they plough the Detroit streets?

What temperature do you get? In Edmonton it goes down to -40 centigrade which is below the temperature when anti-freeze freezes!

They plough the streets here but in the main just look after the major roads and carparks. This morning we went by a house we just bought (in the process of renovating while staying in our apartment) and the road was full of snow - didn't make for easy driving when we left 15 minutes later.

Being my first winter here Im not sure how cold we will get (hopefully not minus 40c) but I can say it is going down to minus 10c tonight and winter has only just started.

Im not a great fan of the cold but the snow is at least bringing some enjoyment.

We have just received our first good downfall of snow so I thought I might share a few of the pictures with you.

n668067098_308955_1753.jpg

n668067098_308956_2128.jpg

What time during the day did you take this photo?

I used to live in Spokane (a few hours east of Seattle) in Washington State and in the middle of winter it used to get real dark like this any time after 3pm

Its 38° today and looking at photos like this certainly bring back some memories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back