Gold Coast crowd

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say about 30,000. Although, there will probably be about 10,000 Carlton supporters and ~5,000+ "AFL supporters" there for the occasion...

First game on the GC in 2 months is selling very well aswell. Tickets went on sale on Monday and wouldn't be suprised if they sold out in the next few weeks. Cheap tickets "sold out" (unless they "find" another batch latter...)

Half of brisbane is talking about it! You guys are way off. They will get over 30K to this match. Carlton is very heavily supported in Brisbane and heaps of virgin football supporters are coming along. I don't think they can, but if the GC were to win i rekon you would see alot of unhappy Lions fans jump on board the bandwagon.

Agree with this, Carlton has a huge travelling fanbase and would have heaps of supporters living in Brisbane(if Perth is any indication) plus 12-15k GC supporters and general interest from the public as well as Lions supporters keen to watch a bit of footy.

Minimum should be around 28k IMO, should push 30k.

Agree with this, Carlton has a huge travelling fanbase and would have heaps of supporters living in Brisbane(if Perth is any indication) plus 12-15k GC supporters and general interest from the public as well as Lions supporters keen to watch a bit of footy.

Good points.. The thing that is not going to be lost on AFL fans in Melbourne is that following your team up to the Gold Coast for a game and spending the weekend there with the family/missus/significant other/mistress would be a great experience..
So hopefully every home game up there you're going to find a lot of victorians going up there as well..

Good points.. The thing that is not going to be lost on AFL fans in Melbourne is that following your team up to the Gold Coast for a game and spending the weekend there with the family/missus/significant other/mistress would be a great experience..
So hopefully every home game up there you're going to find a lot of victorians going up there as well..

Exactly, the Gold Coast attracts players and fans alike.

I'll be there with 5 of my mates. We will also be going to all the Suns games up here this year. I think there will be quite a few supporters of other clubs doing the same.

Can't say I'll be going to many Lions games though.

They will get 25-30 thousand I think. It is getting plenty of media up here. By the way contrary to what some people are thinking they are not giving away thousands of tickets. A few by radio competitions etc but its not like they are handing them out to schoolkids.

The curiosity (read Karmichael Hunt to a degree) and history factor and the fact that the Titans are away, the Broncos on Friday Night and the Reds are in South Africa will ensure that more casuals than most will roll up, plus I believe it's Carlton's only visit to Queensland (they play Brisbane at home this year) in a good timeslot for the travellers (Sat.Night). Think they'll get more than the Lions first home game, but the acid test will be their 2nd home game, against Melbourne on a SUNDAY afternoon (2:10 start) in 2 weeks time.

This is correct. In the 20+ years I lived in SE Qld I found Carlton, Richmond & Adelaide to have the biggest support base outside of the Lions.

This is correct. In the 20+ years I lived in SE Qld I found Carlton, Richmond & Adelaide to have the biggest support base outside of the Lions.

think you would Find Collingwood Have the biggest supporterbase in SE qld outside the Lions! Thought everyone would know that! Also Essendon, Carlton, Richmond and Hawthorn have a good following up there as well but the Pies would easily have th biggest other then the lions of course!

think you would Find Collingwood Have the biggest supporterbase in SE qld outside the Lions! Thought everyone would know that! Also Essendon, Carlton, Richmond and Hawthorn have a good following up there as well but the Pies would easily have th biggest other then the lions of course!

My experience from living both in Brisbane & on the Gold Coast was that I encountered many more Carlton, Richmond & Adelaide supporters than Collingwood supporters. Maybe those Collingwood supporters who live in SE Qld keep a lower profile, but the reality is they are not as predominant as the supporters of Carlton, Richmond & Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There will be a decent crowd I'd say. I went to get tickets yesterday and all the cheapies had sold and the next level up was limited. I ended up having to settle for unlicensed just so I could get a half decent seat.

There were a bunch of dudes, like me at the ticketmaster booth who support neither team but wanted to check out the new team.

I'd say alot of people will feel the same way.

My experience from living both in Brisbane & on the Gold Coast was that I encountered many more Carlton, Richmond & Adelaide supporters than Collingwood supporters. Maybe those Collingwood supporters who live in SE Qld keep a lower profile, but the reality is they are not as predominant as the supporters of Carlton, Richmond & Adelaide.

Maybe but If you look at the Crowds at the Gabba when Collingwood are playing they are Huge and always go close to selling out and there are always 10-15,000 Collingwood fans at the Gabba!

Maybe they haven't found the ground yet.....

think you would Find Collingwood Have the biggest supporterbase in SE qld outside the Lions! Thought everyone would know that!

:rolleyes:

Oh look, it's a Collingwood supporter hijacking a thread that has nothing to do with them.

"You are wrong! Collingwood are the biggest EVERYWHERE just BECAUSE!! Huuuuurrrrr!"

9000 tickets sold to a game that is no chance to sell out is a pretty damn good start actually. The bulk of the crowd will be walk-ups, so 25k is probably realistic.

People suggesting that this crowd will be here largely for the novelty of history are correct. Round 4 against Melbourne will be a better test. Particularly if Gold Coast are winless going into that game. I wouldn't expect too many Demons supporters in Brisbane / Gold Coast either.

:rolleyes:

Oh look, it's a Collingwood supporter hijacking a thread that has nothing to do with them.

"You are wrong! Collingwood are the biggest EVERYWHERE just BECAUSE!! Huuuuurrrrr!"

9000 tickets sold to a game that is no chance to sell out is a pretty damn good start actually. The bulk of the crowd will be walk-ups, so 25k is probably realistic.

I find it amusing that someone who lives in suburban Melbourne thinks they know the lie of the land in SE Qld more than someone who has lived there for much of the last 25 years.

Just as an example of the facts in relation to Gabba attendances, last year's Carlton/Brisbane game drew 36,780, while the Collingwood/Brisbane game drew 34,239. In 2009, Carlton/Brisbane drew 42,496, while the Collingwood/Brisbane game drew 34,912.

They'll get a good crowd first up, numbers will go south as the season wares on though IMO, if they can average 15k+ at their new ground it'll be a good result for the first couple of years.

There should be a good crowd tomorrow - a lot of it will be curiosity value of people checking out the new club. It's a chance to be a part of history, they're getting good media coverage, and it's the novelty value of something new. If I lived in South-East Queensland, I'd be there for sure.
The challenge will be to keep them coming consistently.

It'll be the same story for GWS next year. There'll be a big crowd at the first game, with plenty of people coming to see what the fuss is about and the chance to claim to be there at the start of something new. But whether they keep coming every fortnight remains to be seen.

Would be great to see them get 30,000. The game has two of the biggest drawcards in Judd & Ablett on show. A lot of people will be tuned in down here to the telecast thats for sure.

The build up here in south east queensland is insane.

Alot of gold coast radio stations are pretty much giving tickets away every hour.

Youll find alot of people will come for the simple reason it gives them someone else too support apart from brisbane.

Despite that im an essendon supporter. I will be at the gabba saturday night. Slamming some beers down watching hopefully a good game. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back