Games & Recreation Gold Coast Theme Parks - daylight robbery!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
So we're on the GC this week, we usually spend the week before Xmas here every year. Each year we try a different theme park. This year it was Movie World. My god, what a rip off!
$90 per adult plus $70 for the kid, so that's $250 just for the 3 of us to walk through the door.
Lunch rolls around and of course you can't bring food so you have to buy on site. $17 for fast food nachos! $15 for a hamburger! $5 for a bottle of water! So that's $37 for some ordinary chow.
The kicker though, was at the exit for one of the rides where you get wet, the Wild West Falls, they charge $5 to have your clothes dried! heck me! Next I expect they'll be charging for oxygen tanks to allow patrons to breathe!

Really expensive day out, way over priced. :thumbsdown:

went to a similar waterpark when I went overseas.

9 euros for the equivalent to a large slurp here (maybe a fraction bigger).

14 bucks for a slurpee = more than 40 AUD to shout my brother and sister

that does seem high but I guess its a pretty unique enviornment. If it was free entry and $10 per ride/attractive you'd probably pay more (now im doubting where you pay for rides or not, I thought you didnt but maybe you do....? Do things like the police acadamy show charge?)

Certainly spent more on less

daylight robbery

mont-spl.jpg

Movie World is a waste of time and money.

Outdated and just plain s**t.

You can buy a pass for $100 that gives you unlimited access to all those theme parks for like a year. Still probably a rip off though. Only ever been to them once or twice, even though they're not far from me. I think it's just something the Mexicans get suckered into doing when they're up here.

I'm at the Gold Coast at the moment. We've done Movieworld, Wet and Wild and Seaworld. Dreamworld tomorrow. We got a season pass with unlimited access to Seaworld, Wet and Wild and Movie World for $99. Seaworld had a couple of good rides but otherwise boring. I thought Movie World was great. Some fun rides. Wet and Wild was ok. The Aqua Loop was brilliant. We have a fast pass for Dreamworld so no lining up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The parks are aimed at the tourists hitting them multiple times, not locals doing a day trip or visitors going the once. As noted earlier the passes for getting into all 3 parks multiple days are the way to go (and aren't bad value). As for the food, always look to bring food where it's a trapped market. Theme parks, cinema's, football, planes etc. are all overpriced and inferior food.

Have snuck into Movieworld twice over the years, on two seperate occasions. First time got away scot free and spent the whole day there

2nd time not so succesful but we still got two hours before getting caught and kicked out so that was enough

They tried telling us we had 'stolen' $70 or whatever the ridiculous price was - Idiots.

I went to Movie World, Dream World and Wet and Wild with the kids last December.

Movie World and Wet and Wild were busy until just after lunch as their was a lot of school groups as it was nearly the end of the school year. Once they had left the parks were nearly empty and barely had to line up for any rides.

Went to Dreamworld on a Saturday and was tossing up whether to get fast passes. Thankfully we didn't as there would have been less than 200 people there. The kids were getting straight off rides and getting straight back on them as there was no line. Not sure why the crowd was so low, I asked a few staff members and they were expecting a busy day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back