Gold Mine Collapse | Mount Clear | Fatality |

Remove this Banner Ad

Mining is a hazardous occupation as we know but sadly there has been a gold mine collapse in Mount Clear. Reports of 2 injuries including one trapped victim flown by ambulance helicopter to Melbourne in a serious condition.

It’s believed that 25 miners still trapped are safe and in a safety zone awaiting rescue.

Fingers crossed for happy outcomes for all.

Nearby where Samantha Murphy disappeared too. Ballarat is having a horrid time lately.

Last edited:
One airlifted out, things grim for the other. There were no other 25 or 28 trapped in refuge chambers.

Idiot locals posting that it was volunteer searchers looking for Samantha Murphy who had gone into a mine looking for her and it collapsed in them and killed them.

Last edited:
Tragically the miner who was trapped overnight has passed away. Our thoughts go out to his family & colleagues.

Worksafe investigating this horrible workplace event.

Tragically the miner who was trapped overnight has passed away. Our thoughts go out to his family & colleagues.

Worksafe investigating this horrible workplace event.

There might be some adverse findings once they get in there investigating. Some information I've been told that is quite disturbing.

I didn't know the driller, condolences to his family and colleagues.

I know the young fella airlifted to hospital quite well. A very good local footballer, polite and hard working. A local St Pats boy, hopes for a speedy and full recovery. It wasn't even his usually area of work, he was just there because he had a certain ticket which was required while the airleg mining was going on.

There might be some adverse findings once they get in there investigating. Some information I've been told that is quite disturbing.

Already heard on the radio this morning that the mine went broke and was purchased by a hedge fund. Management subsequently made safety manager redundant but put in no replacement or equivalent.

Already heard on the radio this morning that the mine went broke and was purchased by a hedge fund. Management subsequently made safety manager redundant but put in no replacement or equivalent.

Yes, the mine went into administration in March last year, it only came out of it in November last year when new owners took it over, it's one of the main reasons I left, the other ones were the dodgy Chinese owners (the books hadn't been audited for 3 years) and the useless Aussie managers. The Safety Manager is still there, it was one of his underlings that was made redundant. There were three of them and they were all useless. One big boys club, with management using the mine as their own personal plaything.

I'm still owed about 8 months of super and a couple of weeks of leave. I doubt I'll see that. The administrators came in, sucked their $15m out of it and then got out. When it went into administration the company owed $38m.

$20m to secured creditors, $12m to suppliers and the other $6m to staff. It should have gone into administration months earlier than it did.

The only reason the new owners were voted in by creditors (most of which are staff and were recommended by the administrators), was because they said they'd pay all staff what they were owed. The suppliers were spewing, part of that deal meant they we only going to see about 27c in the dollar of what they were owed. One was owed well over $3m and another at least $1.5m.

Yes, the mine went into administration in March last year, it only came out of it in November last year when new owners took it over, it's one of the main reasons I left, the other ones were the dodgy Chinese owners (the books hadn't been audited for 3 years) and the useless Aussie managers. The Safety Manager is still there, it was one of his underlings that was made redundant. There were three of them and they were all useless. One big boys club, with management using the mine as their own personal plaything.

I'm still owed about 8 months of super and a couple of weeks of leave. I doubt I'll see that. The administrators came in, sucked their $15m out of it and then got out. When it went into administration the company owed $38m.

$20m to secured creditors, $12m to suppliers and the other $6m to staff. It should have gone into administration months earlier than it did.

The only reason the new owners were voted in by creditors (most of which are staff and were recommended by the administrators), was because they said they'd pay all staff what they were owed. The suppliers were spewing, part of that deal meant they we only going to see about 27c in the dollar of what they were owed. One was owed well over $3m and another at least $1.5m.

Sounds pretty awful.

Will be interesting to see if anyone gets prison time.

I stand corrected, the Safety Manager was made redundant, there are still other Safety Officers there.

I've just watched an interview with the ex Safety Manager on C9. It's ironic that at the end he says the management needs to be cleared out, I thought the same thing when I was there and he was part of that management group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back