Injury Goose out for 4-6 weeks.

Who should fill in for Goose while he's out injured?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A genuine question. Are there still people pining for Merrett to be moved back to defence?

I think plenty of people would be cheering if Merrett lined up at FB this week, and long term i still want him being the anchor of our defense. But, like i've said all year, him playing up forward has allowed our forward line to function much better, i wouldn't move him unless i had to. With a fit Longer/Bergs, i'd rather have those 2 playing that forward role, whilst not the best option, long term, it's what we are aiming for, and both need some experience and development up forward. Until such time that we are ready to play both players, i have no problem with Merrett warming that forward/ruck spot.

Merrett isn't 'needed' down back this week, i would expect we might need him down there in other games though, but at least coming up against a smaller Melb means it gives us another week to tinker and find out what we are going to do for that senario. There very well might give Lisle a tap on the shoulder this week and really groom him for playing next week as that forward/ruck, letting Merrett go back. Upon saying that, perhaps it's better to give Merrett a game down back to settle back in before he is 'needed' for a serious match up.

I know interviews are not generally a pointer to selection but the website banner to the Bartlett story makes you wonder - "Bartlett primed for the big time". Might just dust off the signed no. 13?

Lester becoming quite a valuable player on the list - no matter where he plays, Voss can set and forget him. He's no superstar and flies under the radar but he does his job.
It's pretty easy to fly under the radar at only 14 games. It says a lot for him that people have confidence in him already.

I think plenty of people would be cheering if Merrett lined up at FB this week, and long term i still want him being the anchor of our defense.

If Merrett's form continues as a forward, a major deficiency on our list is solved. We've got a huge gap between Brown and the 3 young blokes in terms of KP forward.

I'd be comfortable going into 2013 with a defence centred around Maguire, Patfull and one another (McKeever, Lester, Clarke, Karnezis).

I guess I'm just saying that we shouldn't be too quick to assume that we know how it will all pan out. There's an assumption that Sauce is a backman and that, eventually, this run of form as a forward will end. I think that is the most likely scenario. But there is a part of me that believes that he is actually looking and playing more like a forward. He is certainly part of the reason why our forward half structure is actually looking promising.

And at the same time, our defence has been our strong suit without his presence.

Still at this point, I expect him to end up as a backman. But more and more, I actually hope that he makes it as a forward - I think that is what would be best for the club in 2013-14.

We know what he can do in defence. But, with the way his game has improved in the first dozen games this year, there has to be some possibility that he could very well be a decent-very good power forward.

It's pretty easy to fly under the radar at only 14 games. It says a lot for him that people have confidence in him already.
I guess what I'm saying is that he's getting less attention than the likes of Polec, Green, etc despite the fact that he is looking more and more like a mainstay in the side (he'll probably get dropped now!)

Surely Voss wont even think of moving Sauce back untill Berger is back ? The whole reason he is down there is because we don't have 2 big fella's to put down there other than Brown and Merrett...

Surely Voss wont even think of moving Sauce back untill Berger is back ? The whole reason he is down there is because we don't have 2 big fella's to put down there other than Brown and Merrett...
Isle would be that other "Big man" you speak of. Thats really why we got him. Im wonder if the main reason we did was that we saw him as a younger, cheaper and easier to mould Tippett? Would kind of make sense, since we got him relativly cheaply, and hes been groomed to be a Forward/Rucker.

Probably as good a week as any to miss him, as it pans out.
Looking at Melbourne's line-up... who the hell is meant to play forward Sellar? Watts?

Garland and Howe definitely. Dunn almost definitely.

I think naming Sellar at CHF might be a bit of a ruse. More likely we'll see Rivers up there after his good game last week. Don't see an obvious matchup for Rivers amongst our forwards. Although, they might want him to play loose and help McDonald deal with Brown.

Which would be great! I'm all in favour of the Melbourne defenders following Brown out of the backline and leaving big, gaping holes for Zorko, McGrath, Polkinghorne, Rockliff and Green to find space in.

If Martin plays I imagine he'd spend most of the game up forward.

Back