Guy sebastians new single

Remove this Banner Ad

bunsen burner said:
Groove: To get the response you're looking for you be better to go to a forum habituated by teenyboppers. I'm sure Dolly or even Australian Idol itself has a forum where you can discuss GS or important stuff such as 'how to make my teenage BF more interested in me'.

Bunsen, you need to get a life mate, its very easy to be a big threatening man over a forum. If putting down someone you dont know makes you feel better go right ahead, it doesn't bother me.
I didnt want any particular response, all i wanted was a rational reply instead of the done to death irrelevant lines like... "he's a glorified karaoke singer" that does not tell me what the single is like, or what the music is like.

Now Il just wait for some more lame tough guy responses that you do so well.

moses said:
To have a critical analysis of the song i think you do need music qualifications and education
No champ. GS is clearly a record company puppet. You obviously don't understand marketing.

I don't have a problem with people saying "I like GS", or "I like that sort of music". I do however have a problem when people confuse limited talent with clever marketing. it's not even clever these days. Everyone knows the formula.

Groove said:
Bunsen, you need to get a life mate, its very easy to be a big threatening man over a forum. .
What threat? You came on asking for an opinion about GS's new song and couldn't handle that people don't rate him. Sooky la la.

If putting down someone you dont know makes you feel better go right ahead, it doesn't bother me.
???? You asked, I told. You can't like everything, so somethings you have to put down. You should really get over it. And obviously it does bother you.

I didnt want any particular response, all i wanted was a rational reply instead of the done to death irrelevant lines like... "he's a glorified karaoke singer" that does not tell me what the single is like, or what the music is like.
'glorified karaoke singer' is rational. And if you couldn't work out that I thought the song suck d ick, then you should go back to kindy.

Well I'm going to disagree with a lot of people here. I think guy is very good and I might add that I didn't watch a single episode of the first series of Australian Idol. I do know however that guy has a major input into his songs. I knew of him before he won the competition and you can see how this is very similar to the stuff he is creating now.

If you don't think he is tallented, how about you have a go at singing along with one of his songs next time. DON'T cheat and sing down the octave, sing it up there with him. I garuntee unless you are very tallented at singing you couldn't do it.

For everyones information he has been away for the past 4 months recording this new album. Have only heard the one song and i quite like it.

I've heard a bit of the song and don't mind the tune for what it is (a light, fluffy song) but would prefer someone else to sing it. It's not particularly deep or amazing, it's just a simple, pleasant little tune with obvious commercial appeal. I really don't like his voice - I find it rather whiny and too high pitched making it a bit irritating.

moses said:
i was under the impression that guy has also graduated from the conservatorium in adelaide
So he's learnt to sing properly. Maybe he can play an instrument. As a great band once said, BFW! I'd take Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, Tim Rogers or Tom Waites who don't have particularly brilliant voices any day over an artificial construct such as Guy Sebastian. Why? Because they are capable of writing their own music and conveying the message of that music in a song that excites people in some manner. That involves true musical talent, not being reliant upon others to do it for them. Constructs like Christina Agulera, Britney Spears, any boy/girl band that appears nowdays may be able to sing, but don't go confusing that with musical talent.

moistie said:
So he's learnt to sing properly. Maybe he can play an instrument. As a great band once said, BFW! I'd take Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, Tim Rogers or Tom Waites who don't have particularly brilliant voices any day over an artificial construct such as Guy Sebastian. Why? Because they are capable of writing their own music and conveying the message of that music in a song that excites people in some manner. That involves true musical talent, not being reliant upon others to do it for them. Constructs like Christina Agulera, Britney Spears, any boy/girl band that appears nowdays may be able to sing, but don't go confusing that with musical talent.

You are wrong moistie, if not everyone can do something that a select few can ie singing well, it is talent, in this case a musical talent. Guy has written or co written most of the songs on his new cd. Before you say that Mick Jagger never needed co writing for his songs, dont kid yourself, all songs come from an idea of something that you have heard and adapt. Im sure band members of all of your listed musicians had says in the music writing.

Groove said:
You are wrong moistie, if not everyone can do something that a select few can ie singing well, it is talent, in this case a musical talent.
Give an average schmo with a semi decent voice a couple of years musical training and they'll be able to sing better. Look at crap like Christina Agulera, Jessica Simpson and the like. Sure they can sing, but I would not call them talented.

Groove said:
Guy has written or co written most of the songs on his new cd.
But they're still shi te. Notice I said "conveying the message of that music in a song that excites people in some manner"? Any schmo can write songs, but it takes talent to write decent songs. With the hype surrounding Guy Sebastian they could put out a CD of him belching "Amazing Grace" and the marketing people of BMG could whip the teeny-boppers into a frenzy over it.

Groove said:
Before you say that Mick Jagger never needed co writing for his songs, dont kid yourself, all songs come from an idea of something that you have heard and adapt. Im sure band members of all of your listed musicians had says in the music writing.
Did I say Mick Jagger never collaborated? But, the point I was making stands. Mick Jagger, Tom Waites, Tim Rogers or Bob Dylan have true talent. They might not be able to sing like Guy Sebastian, but they can write brilliant songs.

Nothing I've heard from Guy Sebastian suggests he is capable of writing a good song, either on his own or with someone else. If Guy Sebastian is such a brilliant songwriter, why is it we've never heard of him before Australian Idol? Could it be that the only reason people now say how brilliant he is, is because he's got a multi-million dollar marketing campaign behind him telling us so?

Groove said:
You are wrong moistie, if not everyone can do something that a select few can ie singing well, it is talent, in this case a musical talent. Guy has written or co written most of the songs on his new cd. Before you say that Mick Jagger never needed co writing for his songs, dont kid yourself, all songs come from an idea of something that you have heard and adapt. Im sure band members of all of your listed musicians had says in the music writing.
You have no idea what you're on about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

joshhem said:
If you don't think he is tallented, how about you have a go at singing along with one of his songs next time.
Why do people insist with this absolute cop out of an argument?

1. Just because someone is better than us does not mean we don't have the right to have a negative opinion of them

2. We are not comparing <place GS or any other public figure's name here> to us. We are comparing him to his peers.

moistie said:
If Guy Sebastian is such a brilliant songwriter, why is it we've never heard of him before Australian Idol? Could it be that the only reason people now say how brilliant he is, is because he's got a multi-million dollar marketing campaign behind him telling us so?
Very true statement.. if he is so 'talented' he should have made it on his own using his talent, drive & ambition, earning the respect of many people along the way.

Question - if Guy Sebastion looked like {insert the name of the ugliest person that comes into your mind}.. do you think he would be where he is today?

Fritz_the_Cat said:
Question - if Guy Sebastion looked like {insert the name of the ugliest person that comes into your mind}.. do you think he would be where he is today?

What if he is the ugliest person I can think of?

Groove said:
Anyone heard it yet? its out on the radio at the moment and its called
"out with my baby"
I know the big footy posters are pro rock, but some intelligent or non slandering comments would be appreciated.

the McDonalds of the music industry.

Bland, predigested pap only fit for senile people and teenyboppers

bunsen burner said:
No champ. GS is clearly a record company puppet. You obviously don't understand marketing.

I don't have a problem with people saying "I like GS", or "I like that sort of music". I do however have a problem when people confuse limited talent with clever marketing. it's not even clever these days. Everyone knows the formula.
Im well aware of record company marketing and talent having studied both music and commerce. Im not disputing that the label BMG has requirements in guys contract to sing their songs, but looking past that i think im my own critical opinion that gs has a very unique voice which would be suited to the RnB type of music that he should sing. Dont go throwing accusations about my lack of marketing knowledge mate. you dont even know me

moses said:
Im well aware of record company marketing and talent having studied both music and commerce. Im not disputing that the label BMG has requirements in guys contract to sing their songs, but looking past that i think im my own critical opinion that gs has a very unique voice which would be suited to the RnB type of music that he should sing. Dont go throwing accusations about my lack of marketing knowledge mate. you dont even know me
If you have a marketing degree, then why did you not understand why music such as GS is produced?

Fritz_the_Cat said:
I've actually watched most episodes of Idol this time around. What isn't surprising is when they ask people from the public who their favourite idol is. The most common answers were along the lines of "Dan because he's a stud" and "Amelie because she's incredibly beautiful".

Both these two contestants do not have near the singing voice of the voted out Ange. It shows what this industry is about - it's just as much about image and looks than talent. And the reason is because the targeted demographic (ie teenyboppers) is not yet mature enough to distinguish between talent, looks, and image.

The teenybopper demographic is what it is:

A fickle market that can be easily exploited by record companies with glossy manufactured artists with manufactured images that teenyboppers are not yet mature enough to see through. Once these teenyboppers can see through it, a new manufactured artist is created to satisfy the demand of the next generation of teenyboppers.

And if any of these artists did have talent, they'd stand the test of time. Few do. Where's Scand'l'us? Where's Dean Cain? Where's kane from Popstars? Where's that group that Sophie Monk was in? I can't even remember their name now that there 2 minutes 48 secs of fame is up.

moses said:
Who do u like then?
What's it got to do with anything?

We're talking about the talent level of manufactured artists and the limited credibility they have compared to artists who create their own aclaimed material.

Just for interest, a few artists that I have been into over the years:

Stones
Pearl Jam
Rage Against the Machine
Steely Dan
Pink Floyd

I wish you the best of luck trying to convince anyone that GS has near the amount of talent as any of these.

Fritz_the_Cat said:
Very true statement.. if he is so 'talented' he should have made it on his own using his talent, drive & ambition, earning the respect of many people along the way.

This is a bit of a silly comment. A lot of the success in the entertainment field is luck driven - depends on who sees who at the right time and what lucky breaks you get. Just because someone doesn't make it on their own doesn't mean they lack talent (and vice versa).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back