Hampden league season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone heard of Tim McIntyres best mate Bernie Vince joining him at Koroit for next season???
they wouldnt able to fit him in, due to the points system, unless they lose a couple that are worth some points themselves. Having 4 VFL standard players back next year, will wreck our comp. Getting greedy at Koroit! 15 goal better side then the rest of comp. Only good thing is our interleague rep side will b stronger. Their netball side is way 2 strong as well. All the other teams just about, past 2 seasons have got stronger but Koroit just gets better. Is the salary cap in place yet? Lot at Koroit are not there for the money.

they wouldnt able to fit him in, due to the points system, unless they lose a couple that are worth some points themselves. Having 4 VFL standard players back next year, will wreck our comp. Getting greedy at Koroit! 15 goal better side then the rest of comp. Only good thing is our interleague rep side will b stronger. Their netball side is way 2 strong as well. All the other teams just about, past 2 seasons have got stronger but Koroit just gets better. Is the salary cap in place yet? Lot at Koroit are not there for the money.
They were only on 30 out of 40 points in the grand final, so Vince would be a 6 point player meaning he would fit in pretty easy. With the Dobson’s only being 1 point players they won’t be a problem.

They were only on 30 out of 40 points in the grand final, so Vince would be a 6 point player meaning he would fit in pretty easy. With the Dobson’s only being 1 point players they won’t be a problem.
Your right on that. I just checked up on that, as i wasn't updated with that. The year before they were on max points.

Anyone heard of Tim McIntyres best mate Bernie Vince joining him at Koroit for next season???
For the standard Koroit contract of $80.00 win??? I hope Taylor Walker doesn't find out that Timmy is Bernies best mate.:rolleyes:

I don't think Taylor Walker will be too happy to find out Bernie Vince is Timmys best mate. I am also not sure if the supposed Koroit match payment of $80. a win will get him over the line. (albeit being a 20 win season)

The Bernie rumour is just that. I know the cash angle has been a thread discussion before but all i can say is that my nephew collected his match payments on Sunday after the GF and it was based on $100 a win. I raised this topic over a beer with a few of the Koroit Hierarchy and they just smiled and said they have long given up trying to explain/justify etc and that finding this amount alone from year to year is a massive challenge. Interestingly when i pushed them on the costs clubs endure it was left field things like finals tickets (entry) for their players...this a huge outlay, esp when a large number of teams compete...on GF day alone Koroit had 5 teams playing (The club doesn't have to do this but made an executive decision that it will endeavour to always try and pay for their participants in both Netball and Footy fianls) other big costs were trainers, doctors medical costs etc where a big chunk of the cash went. It is no wonder all clubs are looking at new ways to generate money just to keep head above water. Another reason to always buy a few raffle tickets to every game you go to.

Player wise
Gow, Dobsons are definitely a very good chance to return..J Brown will be happy! No mention of at all of Darmody, so not sure where that one has come from. Chris McLaren has done a brilliant job and the players love and respond to him however his mate Ben Goodall wont play on..he kept that quiet as is his way and will drift off without any fanfare...but just for the record he is definitely one of the best finals players I have seen at Koroit. 8 flags is unbelievable effort. Ben's service and leadership at the club is legendary...i have never seen someone say so little and yet say so much and his ability to look younger players in the eye and challenge them is brilliant to view. This honesty can be confronting for the younger generation but it is exactly the tough love many of them need...Koroit simply would not have won 5 in a row with out him as he refuses to be beaten and will do anything to get his team over the line. Him and Boxhead (who has also been super at Koroit) are the old school brigade that bring a ruthlessness and competitiveness to the team esp when backs are to the wall.

I did laugh as the BIG FELLA and the crew asked Ben post game about playing a full season...inferring that he doesn't normally do this ...he quickly sat them back on their A^%$ by saying he has played 17 seasons of senior footy and missed round 1 twice! ...long pause on radio :) end of discussion. Thx Ben.

Thx Hampden Mad for getting this going again..a great article in today's Standard about dominate teams -no doubt your Blues of the 80's will feature this week too. Interested to see who the others are...South? Terang?...

Lastly...did anyone else see Adam Simpson on The Couch last night..all class.

Even being an avid Blues supporter I would never say that having a side like Koroit and their ability to sustain success and lure back players is greedy or bad for the league. It’s bloody tremendous for the league because it encourages the other sides to be better, to work harder, to be innovative, to add more quality to their own ranks through players, coaches, medical staff, facilities and volunteers! To really push to maintain a homegrown side and wait for that talent to flourish and then add some top end talent on top! I envy Koroit and what they can do. Every club should absolutely look to emulate that. No different to what us Blues did not that long ago. Build a family club, make the roots strong and let it grow. No club is absolutely perfect and we weren’t but it was bloody good while it lasted. Koroit wont be at the top forever but hopefully their way will ensure that many other clubs will get there and sustain just like them (maybe not as long).

Even being an avid Blues supporter I would never say that having a side like Koroit and their ability to sustain success and lure back players is greedy or bad for the league. It’s bloody tremendous for the league because it encourages the other sides to be better, to work harder, to be innovative, to add more quality to their own ranks through players, coaches, medical staff, facilities and volunteers! To really push to maintain a homegrown side and wait for that talent to flourish and then add some top end talent on top! I envy Koroit and what they can do. Every club should absolutely look to emulate that. No different to what us Blues did not that long ago. Build a family club, make the roots strong and let it grow. No club is absolutely perfect and we weren’t but it was bloody good while it lasted. Koroit wont be at the top forever but hopefully their way will ensure that many other clubs will get there and sustain just like them (maybe not as long).
Pretty much true what u said, but my concern is, that Koroit will be way ahead of the comp in the next couple years at least. Just the 9 other clubs will have very little chance to win a flag. Their just going thump the mid to lower order teams. Souths brought a lot of home talent back in last 2 years, but they never finished deep into the finals. The standard of the comp has picked up in last 2 years, due to clubs recruiting more, and the points system encourages home talent to return home.

Pretty much true what u said, but my concern is, that Koroit will be way ahead of the comp in the next couple years at least. Just the 9 other clubs will have very little chance to win a flag. Their just going thump the mid to lower order teams. Souths brought a lot of home talent back in last 2 years, but they never finished deep into the finals. The standard of the comp has picked up in last 2 years, due to clubs recruiting more, and the points system encourages home talent to return home.

Every right to your opinion on it BeachBoy3 and I love the input.
Koroit were only 1 kick off being knocked out before the GF this season and we would of had a Camperdown v Port Fairy GF, Camperdown were only a good fwd off beating Koroit in the GF in the end. Koroit will lose players through retirement or movement and yes adding the quality they look to be adding will make them strong again but definitely not untouchable. There’s a little footy club out the road gathering some solid momentum who have never tasted success but are putting inroads into ensuring they have the best crack at it. North Warrnambool are coming and will add some more high end quality to that side before round 1. Camperdown are on the sniff for a new coach and could land a very credible replacement for Carse if all goes ok. Early stages on that one, but they are primed to have another crack at it.
As for South Warrnambool too me they did pretty well both years considering injuries and players leaving for overseas or school footy etc. this year especially went pretty deep with what I thought was a young side depleted at the wrong end of the season. And obviously with a coach under pressures he shouldn’t be under.
The standard has lifted I agree, more high end talent being added and a lot more even amongst all sides. For the wooden spooners to win 5 games was something we haven’t seen in Hampden League for a long long time. It’s in a good position going forward.

Heard a whisper that Portland has signed an ex VFL key position player who was in the 2015 VFL team of the year. Yet to be confirmed

Spot on Go Tiges, former Portland lad Jake Wilson has returned, 27y old defender who has played in VFL for Williamstown and Werribee and also in SANFL. He’s a big unit and will be handy!

Spot on Go Tiges, former Portland lad Jake Wilson has returned, 27y old defender who has played in VFL for Williamstown and Werribee and also in SANFL. He’s a big unit and will be handy!
Yes happy with that, he has signed on for 3 years as assistant coach
Luke Crane has gone back to Tasmania

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the Tiges looking for a senior coach? Any whispers GT?
Have been talking to a bloke who's moved to town and played in the Essendon district I believe, not sure how that's going.
Winnis Imbi is another name that's been mentioned

North Warrnambool are looking to add Sam McLachlan back into the side also, Sam has had a stint with Geelong VFL and at Colac Tigers. Injury hampered his season and North are on the hunt and think they have him almost across the line.

Is there a salary cap in the Hampden League?

Apparently there’s one coming this season. The problem with salary caps is they are very hard to police. Clubs will do whatever it takes to bring whoever they can to a club. If it means a deathly silent deal of cash or substitute deal then that will happen. Will be very hard to prove. Aside from that not many clubs will ever get near the cap I would of thought. I couldn’t imagine the cap being lower than at least 200k. I’m not at all over the possible cap amount but that’s my guess at a minimum.

Apparently there’s one coming this season. The problem with salary caps is they are very hard to police. Clubs will do whatever it takes to bring whoever they can to a club. If it means a deathly silent deal of cash or substitute deal then that will happen. Will be very hard to prove. Aside from that not many clubs will ever get near the cap I would of thought. I couldn’t imagine the cap being lower than at least 200k. I’m not at all over the possible cap amount but that’s my guess at a minimum.
Fair enough - I guess the points help even things out assuming every club is treated fairly/equally.

Last year I thought the talk was, the salary cap was going to be $160,000 and I thought it would of been in this year. Apart from Port Fairy, not sure if many clubs would be spending over $150,000 on their playing list.

For discussion.
Do you think there would be any merit in exempting the coach from the salary cap? I say this only on the basis of trying to entice high quality players to the league. (sadly I remember the old days)

For discussion.
Do you think there would be any merit in exempting the coach from the salary cap? I say this only on the basis of trying to entice high quality players to the league. (sadly I remember the old days)

Depends on the situation. But definitely case by case. Dependent largely on if it’s a playing coach or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back