News Hardwick Quits as coach of Richmond: Press Conference at 10:30am Tuesday

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading between the lines, i think he's saying:

"I've topped up the list this season in the hope of another tilt at a flag, but it hasn't worked out. Buggered if I'm hanging around for a rebuild when Riewoldt, Cotchin, et al., are gone. I'll keep an eye on Carlton's results though. There's something to work with there ...."

For what it's worth, here is the DEFINITIVE list of teams that were closest to a four-peat:

1. Brisbane Lions - 2001/02/03 (Premiers) and 2004 (Grand Finalists)

2. Hawthorn Hawks - 2013/14/15 (Premiers) and 2016 (Semi-finalists)

That's it. That's the list.

All that being said though, Dimma is an absolute champion of the sport and an even greater champion of the Richmond footy club. Went out on his own terms and was incredibly gracious as he left. What a legend!

Sensible move by Hardwick. He will go down in history as one of the great coaches, not just for the onfield success but his care for his players and club.

Richmond were almost a joke prior to his tenure. We certainly didn't really respect the tigers or feature playing them. He (and Gale) have made them the envy of nearly all clubs, and clearly one of the big AFL clubs.

I'm really happy for richmond fans who had to ensure the tough times, as they are incredibly loyal, by having Hardwick at their club.

My clubs a long way from a flag, so I'm now hoping Saints fans can have a flag, just as the bulldogs did.

no, you are the one being ridiculous.
3 flags in 4 years is close to 4 in a row. it doesnt matter if its 3 in a row then miss, or 1, miss then 2 in a row.

in 4 years, richmond had 3 wins and a prelim loss

over a period of 4 years hawks had 3 wins and a semi loss

that would make richmond closer to 4 in a row than hawthorn.

and im not a richmond fan at all. you are just being pedantic because it doesnt fit your narrative.
You're starting to sound as deluded as the cats fans who said 3in5 years is better than 3 in a row

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubting he will coach again listening to him

Yep.

Thinking about it overnight, Hardwick will need the rest of 2023 & all of 2024 to refuel & get mentally set again. He won't walk straight into another senior coaching gig, he needs time to rest and reset.

Hardwick should be ready to go again in 2025.

Can’t say I have seen a lot of Brendan Gales interviews, but he seemed very quiet and almost gave an annoyed vibe. May be completely misreading situation

Do have to admire Hardwicks love for his players and noted he will miss them more than the silverware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gale was subdued. I don't think annoyed, but I think the timing came as a bit of a shock to him and you could see that in his demeanour in the presser.

Most loveable jokey guy when things are going right. Absolute sour puss when it isnt. Similar to his playing days

Were supporters calling for his head ? Find this a strange time to stand down despite the narrative of his presser

No-one was calling for his head. Nothing suggests that the narrative in his presser isn't the truth. Not sure why we always need to search for a hidden meaning when it doesn't exist.

Reading between the lines, i think he's saying:

"I've topped up the list this season in the hope of another tilt at a flag, but it hasn't worked out. Buggered if I'm hanging around for a rebuild when Riewoldt, Cotchin, et al., are gone. I'll keep an eye on Carlton's results though. There's something to work with there ...."
Carlton? LMAO

If he ends up going anywhere it's to the sunny gold coast to top up his retirement fund.

Sensible move by Hardwick. He will go down in history as one of the great coaches, not just for the onfield success but his care for his players and club.

Richmond were almost a joke prior to his tenure. We certainly didn't really respect the tigers or feature playing them. He (and Gale) have made them the envy of nearly all clubs, and clearly one of the big AFL clubs.

I'm really happy for richmond fans who had to ensure the tough times, as they are incredibly loyal, by having Hardwick at their club.

My clubs a long way from a flag, so I'm now hoping Saints fans can have a flag, just as the bulldogs did.

Almost a joke? Nah...we were a joke. A lot have forgotten of the rabble the Tiges were when he took over. We were worse than Fitzroy was the norm at the time. He played a key role in completely rebuilding the list. Through the GWS and Suns expansion years. His achievements were phenomenal. He lost his way in '16 but quickly realised the error in his ways and the rest is history.

What needs to also be called out and I'm not sure if he covered this off in this presser but his assistants from '17 onwards were a key part of our success. And I really do mean KEY!. He was an excellent players manager but it was his assistants who helped deliver the flags. They deserve as many kudos and Dimma does.

Thanks for everything Dimma. All the very best!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back