Harris Andrews Updates (PS. Rising Star Nomination)

Remove this Banner Ad

G'day guys, i'm back to annoy you all again!

Having a chat to several industry experts regarding academy kid, Harris Andrews - there is a bit of talk that Andrews could be the first academy kid the Lions use a pick on this draft. He's floated heavily under the radar, but I've whipped up this profile on him since watching him play a bit in the TAC Cup and watching his precariously during the championships. He's arguably my favourite talent of this years draft.

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-harris-andrews/
your a genius.

G'day guys, i'm back to annoy you all again!

Having a chat to several industry experts regarding academy kid, Harris Andrews - there is a bit of talk that Andrews could be the first academy kid the Lions use a pick on this draft. He's floated heavily under the radar, but I've whipped up this profile on him since watching him play a bit in the TAC Cup and watching his precariously during the championships. He's arguably my favourite talent of this years draft.

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-harris-andrews/

Well done on this. You certainly copped some largely unfair criticism around these forums. You tend to make everyone sound like atop 10 pick but your very passionate and I can confidently say you know your stuff. Which is something I'd only say for 4-5 other posters on this site when it comes to junior football.

I love Andrews and didn't see much of him after was/is largely on Vic boys but I personally didn't rate him at the time from what I had seen. Pretty happy I've been proven wrong.

Keep up the good work.

Think he should have been a top 5 pick from what he's shown this year. He's the youngest player in the league and he's a skinny 200 cm 18 year old kid. He will only improve as he fills out and quality big men are always taken a lot higher in the draft. He was a massive steal and no doubt recruiters would have paying a lot more attention to the kids in our academy this year based on players like Andrews and Dawson. Dawson is playing like a top 25 pick at the moment too, great to see.

Not many in the top 10 picks you would take ahead of him in hindsight.

1 Paddy McCartin
2 Christian Petracca
3 Angus Brayshaw
4 Jarrod Pickett
5 Jordan De Goey
6 Caleb Marchbank
7 Paul Ahern
8 Peter Wright
9 Darcy Moore
10 Nakia Cockatoo

He has been huge in defense this year and i know we don't want to slow down his development, but is there any merit in throwing him forward for the rest of the year? Obviously played there as a junior and has a natural ability to read the play. With the delivery into our forward line he could just pretend we are trying to kick it to the other team and take the intercept mark. A new twist on the defensive forward role.

He has been huge in defense this year and i know we don't want to slow down his development, but is there any merit in throwing him forward for the rest of the year? Obviously played there as a junior and has a natural ability to read the play. With the delivery into our forward line he could just pretend we are trying to kick it to the other team and take the intercept mark. A new twist on the defensive forward role.

Not really while Freemans out on the park again.

Think he should have been a top 5 pick from what he's shown this year. He's the youngest player in the league and he's a skinny 200 cm 18 year old kid. He will only improve as he fills out and quality big men are always taken a lot higher in the draft. He was a massive steal and no doubt recruiters would have paying a lot more attention to the kids in our academy this year based on players like Andrews and Dawson. Dawson is playing like a top 25 pick at the moment too, great to see.

1 Paddy McCartin
2 Christian Petracca
3 Angus Brayshaw
4 Jarrod Pickett
5 Jordan De Goey
6 Caleb Marchbank
7 Paul Ahern
8 Peter Wright
9 Darcy Moore
10 Nakia Cockatoo

He's around the mark but being a backman would go against him and as a backman he's probably behind Lever IMO.

But I was thinking about this after a stupid comment from an opposition supporter on a different board saying we should've kept pick 21 to get Goddard when we already had Andrews who seems to be far superior.

Obviously I'm biased but I cannot remember a more promising first year from a key defender (haven't seen much of Adelaide's Jake Lever who by all accounts is also going well). It's widely recognised tall timber takes longer to develop but Harris has slotted into AFL beautifully. Everything about his marking is A-grade - reach, timing & one-grab.
I'd back Andrews in to become one of the competition's premier defenders in the coming years.

Think he should have been a top 5 pick from what he's shown this year. He's the youngest player in the league and he's a skinny 200 cm 18 year old kid. He kmwill only improve as he fills out and quality big men are always taken a lot higher in the draft. He was a massive steal and no doubt recruiters would have paying a lot more attention to the kids in our academy this year based on players like Andrews and Dawson. Dawson is playing like a top 25 pick at the moment too, great to see.

1 Paddy McCartin
2 Christian Petracca
3 Angus Brayshaw
4 Jarrod Pickett
5 Jordan De Goey
6 Caleb Marchbank
7 Paul Ahern
8 Peter Wright
9 Darcy Moore
10 Nakia Cockatoo
I would comfortably have him over Cockatoo, Ahern, Pickett and Marchbank ATM.

Worth remembering that many players drafted last year haven't had the opportunity to play consistent senior footy like Andrews has. Even if they have, players develop at different rates and we've seen many Lions players burst onto the scene at AFL level only to completely stagnate in their development. Between 2005 and 2007, the likes of Moody, Sherman, Stiller, Wood, Selwood and Corrie all received rising star nominations.

I know it is a positive how he is performing but I guess I'm more interested in what happens next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's certainly been a great pickup. He's been able to play a bit free of a player this year and be that 4th-5th guy in the contest with no-one bodying him which has been a good use of his strengths. Next year we may see him have to man up a bit more which will be an interesting one for him and won't be without growing pains. He probably doesn't really move quite athletically enough or have the great kick (he's certainly tidy) at the moment to play that floating role on a permanent basis so he's going to have to play a tighter checking role in the future. How he transitions to that will be the big one, but at the moment he's certainly showing plenty to be happy about.

Obviously I'm biased but I cannot remember a more promising first year from a key defender (haven't seen much of Adelaide's Jake Lever who by all accounts is also going well). It's widely recognised tall timber takes longer to develop but Harris has slotted into AFL beautifully. Everything about his marking is A-grade - reach, timing & one-grab.
I'd back Andrews in to become one of the competition's premier defenders in the coming years.

didn't both Talia from Adeliade and Rivers then Melbourne now Geelong win the Rising Star award as key defenders?

not saying HA isn't having a great season and looks extremely talented but just need to maintain some perspective...

Personally I see him having the capability to be our next Leppitsch roaming and controlling the defence from CHB. Leppa was one of the first modern era players to regularly zone off and be a third man up or take intercept marks as a genuine KPP.

also of note. Dawson was bid on at Pick 32 and Andrews at Pick 35. we were a bit lucky they ended up at picks 44 and 61 respectively under the old system.

Under the new system we'd have needed 417 points or the equivalent of pick 40 to match for Andrews. (Dawson would have cost up about pick 38 in the new system)

John_Proctor Talia and Rivers were both in their second season when they won the Rising Star.

Otherwise I agree. That roaming CHB role looks to be where he's best suited. More like a Dustin Fletcher than a Leppitsch though, I'd say.

didn't both Talia from Adeliade and Rivers then Melbourne now Geelong win the Rising Star award as key defenders?

not saying HA isn't having a great season and looks extremely talented but just need to maintain some perspective...

Personally I see him having the capability to be our next Leppitsch roaming and controlling the defence from CHB. Leppa was one of the first modern era players to regularly zone off and be a third man up or take intercept marks as a genuine KPP.

also of note. Dawson was bid on at Pick 32 and Andrews at Pick 35. we were a bit lucky they ended up at picks 44 and 61 respectively under the old system.

Under the new system we'd have needed 417 points or the equivalent of pick 40 to match for Andrews. (Dawson would have cost up about pick 38 in the new system)
As Ironmonger pointed out both were in their second year. I'll admit I'm probably over exaggerating but I think where Harris differs is his ability to take intercept marks - a huge weapon in the modern game. We haven't really benefited from it this season but when we do improve we'll be able to launch counter-attacks from those turnovers.

Just saw talking footy mentioning Harris as rising star.

Carey the flog only stated "I like him cos he backs himself"( wtf how about watch more than 1 min of highlights!)

Darcy said he's got a bit of Royce hart in him

Tim Watson " watched this kid on the weekend and I see a serious future star"

2 out of 3 comments il take any day.

Well done harro !

What's wrong with Carey's comment?
For an expert panelist, I just get the feeling Wayne might not have done his due diligence about actually seeing Harris play besides the 30seconds of highlights.
I would seldom say that all Rs nominees would have characteristics "backing themselves "playing afl footy.
If that's the best Wayne has got so be it, just imagine if he actually watched him.

O ne of HarrsA's great strengths is he backs himself - he does not punch, he goes for the mark. Coming from 1 of the great CHFs is a huge wrap. Careys comment was more positive than the other 2, IMO.

1 Paddy McCartin
2 Christian Petracca
3 Angus Brayshaw
4 Jarrod Pickett
5 Jordan De Goey
6 Caleb Marchbank
7 Paul Ahern
8 Peter Wright
9 Darcy Moore
10 Nakia Cockatoo
Deadset would take none in front of him

Remove this Banner Ad