Recommitted Harrison Jones [signs 1 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies, glitch in the matrix my man (Unless we both saw an ad for it on tv last night...).

Do you think he's in a bit of trouble given Wright, Perkins and Weideman seem to have him covered? Additionally with Langford showing himself to be a decent forward this year? Does he NEED to work at a different position like a wingman?
His second position is ruck, which he played in his bottom-age year.

Even though he hasn't played any relief ruck in the AFL (yet) and he isn't tall enough to do that full time, you can kind of tell he's had some training. He's smart with pretty good 360º awareness and you sometimes see it when he elects to tap the ball down or overhead handball or something to someone in a better position, instead of taking possession himself (where taking a mark is not possible).

For now he has enough on his plate learning to play elite footy as a forward, but the endeavour, and skills are there. I talked about tap work, he's a good mark, and was crazy accurate in front of goal in 2021 (20.6, 16 games) and 2022 (13.5, 10 games). He's had his share of injury issues, missed basically all of '20 and then had issues with his feet in '22 and then interrupted pre-season with an ankle... came back from those lacking confidence and probably out of practice. So as of Round 6, 2022, 6 shots on goal in 5 games and he's at 2.4. Seems to have lost his confidence. He has the tank to get all around the ground too, provide a marking target as a high half forward.

There's plenty to work with, just needs the uninjured development time both in the gym and on the training track. And to be fair, even though he still looks like he'd blow away in a strong breeze, he's put on almost 15kg since he was drafted even while being injured and everything. He's one who will benefit a lot from the additional investment in development.

Having Weideman and Wright as mentors is only going to help him at this point. Perkins is a similar age and probably goes more into the midfield eventually, even if he doesn't Jones should eventually move up to a KPF role that Perkins is too small for so they're not really competing with one another. As for Langford, he can literally play anywhere and is likely to be professional spare parts (and he really prides himself on that!) 😅 Looks like Langers will be back in defence tomorrow.

Break it down for me... what has he got in common with Hird aside from his employer?
It is just a feeling I have about him, the way he moves, very reminiscent of Hird in his early days (remembering that Hird was not a bona fide star at the beginning although, and relying on my memory, I don't think Jones is as good at the same stage of development). Jones has a good tank, he is good overhead and good below the knees. These are all good attributes. He needs to get more involved but that will come as his footy IQ improves. Whether or not his footy IQ reaches the Hird levels remains to be seen but the potential is there, in my opinion. I believe that the Bombers have a real talent in their midst he just needs to nurtured.

Edit: Lore, I just read your post above (#26) and it was very informative. I would add that I don't see Jones as a KPF but rather as a player that needs to be given free reign to roam far and wide. I think he has the tank to do this just needs to learn how and how to be effective in this role.

It is just a feeling I have about him, the way he moves, very reminiscent of Hird in his early days (remembering that Hird was not a bona fide star at the beginning although, and relying on my memory, I don't think Jones is as good at the same stage of development). Jones has a good tank, he is good overhead and good below the knees. These are all good attributes. He needs to get more involved but that will come as his footy IQ improves. Whether or not his footy IQ reaches the Hird levels remains to be seen but the potential is there, in my opinion. I believe that the Bombers have a real talent in their midst he just needs to nurtured.

Edit: Lore, I just read your post above (#26) and it was very informative. I would add that I don't see Jones as a KPF but rather as a player that needs to be given free rein to roam far and wide. I think he has the tank to do this just needs to learn how and how to be effective in this role.
It would be a very Essendon move to take a forward and play them anywhere except in the forward line.

Listed as 194cm and 75kg.

I wonder if he'd be better suited as a mobile 'third tall' lead up forward, instead of as a genuine KPF? Then his lack of physicality mightn't be such a disadvantage.
He's actually 196 and 88. Always been 196 but 75 was his draft weight.

Listed as 194cm and 75kg.

I wonder if he'd be better suited as a mobile 'third tall' lead up forward, instead of as a genuine KPF? Then his lack of physicality mightn't be such a disadvantage.
He's actually 196 and 88. Always been 196 but 75 was his draft weight.
He is currently supposed to be a 2nd or 3rd tall, with Wright and Weideman.

Once he develops his body a bit more he might try to take Pete's spot 😝 (according to the man himself anyway).

Also playing more up the ground this year as a connecting point between mid/fwd or def/fwd, although that role would be easier to play if 2MP didn't do his shoulder two weeks after this video was recorded:

Needs to get better at using his athleticism to hit up at the ball carrier because at the moment his only real trick is using his leap when he gets a clean run at.
think we'll find he and Cox will end up being more tall, athletic flanker options vs. truer KP's.

Where it gets interesting is how that pecking order will work

At the moment it's Wright (FF), Weid (CHF), Stringer (3rd tall), Perkins (HF), Langford (HF) and a couple of smalls.
Also not helped by Caldwell being a pretty good resting mid in that rotation.

think we'll find he and Cox will end up being more tall, athletic flanker options vs. truer KP's.

Where it gets interesting is how that pecking order will work

At the moment it's Wright (FF), Weid (CHF), Stringer (3rd tall), Perkins (HF), Langford (HF) and a couple of smalls.
Also not helped by Caldwell being a pretty good resting mid in that rotation.
Cox is supposed to be training in defence so that takes care of one problem 😝

At the moment we seem to name four true forwards in the forward line, and then three more on the bench, with a mid or two also playing through the forward line while Stringer and Langford play in other parts of the ground at times.

At the moment we seem to name four true forwards in the forward line, and then three more on the bench, with a mid or two also playing through the forward line while Stringer and Langford play in other parts of the ground at times.

Langford for my money, seems to have greater impact/hurts the opponents playing as a foward than down back .

Cox's fit will be interesting.
if i do the alternative list;

?? (FB)*, Zerk (CHB), Ridley (3rd), Redman (HB), Heppell/Langford (HB) and 2 smalls (Kelly + McGrath)
FB a bit of a gap but it won't be Cox
At least we have Heppell vacating soon as Cox comes in. So i reckon that pans out ok.

also helps our mids don't defend, so no need to name them back there :p

Ive started to think Jones could be Stringer's heir, but Stringer could play for a while yet
So it may come down to Weid v Jones for a while.
Don't expect we lose him though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox's fit will be interesting.
if i do the alternative list;

?? (FB)*, Zerk (CHB), Ridley (3rd), Redman (HB), Heppell/Langford (HB) and 2 smalls (Kelly + McGrath)
FB a bit of a gap but it won't be Cox
At least we have Heppell vacating soon as Cox comes in. So i reckon that pans out ok.

also helps our mids don't defend, so no need to name them back there :p

Ive started to think Jones could be Stringer's heir, but Stringer could play for a while yet
So it may come down to Weid v Jones for a while.
Don't expect we lose him though.
reiddd

Have heard recently his manager is putting the feelers out looking for a fresh start.

Id be interested to see what he is worth.

I think with Essendons track record of not being able to get their kids on the park he might be at another club next year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back