Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

How come Hocking didn't have to wait a year before he joined a club?
If you think giving the premiership team pick 7 and a player for nothing is within the spirit of the game, you don't understand the spirit of the game.
Any more flags will come with an asterix.
Speak to GC about that, not Geelong. Are you telling me if Bowes had declared he wanted to play for Richmond you would have been up in arms?

And how is what Geelong did against the spirit of the game but then reigning premiers Richmond securing Tom Lynch for nothing as a restricted FA wasn't??

You’ve won premierships in 17,19,20. All while Geelong have pretty much been you’re no.1 competitor in terms of threatening for a flag with top 4 finishes.

Not even sure how or why you’re rationalising this. This Richmond v Geelong s**t fight over the last 5 years has embarrassed so many supporters of both clubs on this website without being appropriately moderated.
Do you think Hocking going straight from the AFL back to Geelong is proper?

You’re an absolute sook.

How were you feeling when people here were putting an asterisk next to Richmond’s 2020 ‘COVID’ flag?
Don't have a meltdown mate. All people is asking for is an even playing field.
No one thinks that trade was fair and proper. Why would you defend that trade? Every football expert has said it's a joke.

The influence Geelong have inside the AFL is quite corrupt.
Steven Hocking went from Geelong ,to the AFL, changed the rules, which suited Geelong , and then went straight back to Geelong with inside information.
The AFL should never have approved the Bowes scam. They let them spread the contract out over 2 more years.
That deal should have only been allowed for a bottom 4 team if any at all.
Plus the Kardinia Park rort. Every other Vic team has to play home games at docklands or the MCG.
Kardinia Park is not symetrical and gives Geelong free wins every year.
The AFL is the problem. They make up - poor - drafting, trading and FA rules on the fly in exactly the same way they do for on field rules. There needs to be a root and branch rebuild of the system based around equity (of opportunity) and pushing all clubs to be competitive year in year out. Larger list sizes, reduced cap minimums and genuinely rotating fixtures and open drafting should be the goals.

The influence Geelong have inside the AFL is quite corrupt.
Steven Hocking went from Geelong ,to the AFL, changed the rules, which suited Geelong , and then went straight back to Geelong with inside information.
The AFL should never have approved the Bowes scam. They let them spread the contract out over 2 more years.
That deal should have only been allowed for a bottom 4 team if any at all.
Plus the Kardinia Park rort. Every other Vic team has to play home games at docklands or the MCG.
Kardinia Park is not symetrical and gives Geelong free wins every year.

Not as corrup as the files in your brain

Will you ever actually show some balls and stop avoiding the question:

Why is one rule change ‘to help Geelong’ when another one - literally nicknamed ‘the Blicavs rule’ - ignored?

Is it for the convenience or your pea brained excuse making? Is that what it is? So you can make excuses? Is that why you do it? To avoid having to make a rational analysis? Is that what it is?

Do you think Hocking going straight from the AFL back to Geelong is proper?
Mark Evans went straight from the AFL to the Suns.

B.Scott from the AFL to the Bombers.

Finnis leaves AFLPA for St.Kilda.

Hocking leaves AFL for Geelong.

Hardly a conspiracy.

Mark Evans went straight from the AFL to the Suns.

B.Scott from the AFL to the Bombers.

Finnis leaves AFLPA for St.Kilda.

Hocking leaves AFL for Geelong.

Hardly a conspiracy.
It is when you go from Geelong to the AFL, change the rules that suit Geelong and then go back to Geelong.
The others didn't start at the club they went to or change the rules to favour certain clubs.

It is when you go from Geelong to the AFL, change the rules that suit Geelong and then go back to Geelong.
The others didn't start at the club they went to or change the rules to favour certain clubs.
Frankly and to be as blunt as possible. Utter pigshit.

Such a moronic take but one to be expected from someone who frequents the bay and lacks critical thinking capabilities.

The rule was changed when Geelong were a stagnant slow build up control team. Stand rule didn’t benefit the Geelong at the time.

It did mitigate the awful spectacle of Richmond’s Auskick for Adults game plan. Hack it forward without skill to a rolling maul of players.

Such a moronic take but one to be expected from someone who frequents the bay and lacks critical thinking capabilities.

The rule was changed when Geelong were a stagnant slow build up control team. Stand rule didn’t benefit the Geelong at the time.

It did mitigate the awful spectacle of Richmond’s Auskick for Adults game plan. Hack it forward without skill to a rolling maul of players.
Ok, whatever you reckon.

Rumours had him on 600k at Carlton and Geelong offered more.

Danger 850k
Cameron up to a million.

They matched because they are guns.

Smith, Higgins now Bowes, Bruhn and Henry. also don't come for free not everything has to be 800k plus they can be multiple mid ranged contracts.
These players aren't all leaving their original clubs to be more loyal to Cats and take unders after their original club has looked after them.

It's the 3rd party deals is where I think Geelong are enabling the pay cuts and cap easing.
Oh PO Carlton lowballed Zac that is why he moved, he told them if they upped their offer just a bit he would stay

Wow just wow. You don’t even know your own teams gameplan and it’s strengths/weaknesses.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 4 teams shouldnt be able to trade players in. They should only be able to use the draft and trade players out.
A reverse restraint of trade lawsuit would be interesting to see

Two months ago, Geelong wouldn't win anything because they only make finals due to home ground advantage so they would be found out come finals time. Now they are too powerful.

The reality is, a heap of strong teams got made stronger (Geelong, Richmond, Port, Collingwood, Brisbane). So the issue isn't Geelong, but the expansion clubs and general equalisation. The AFL underestimated how many players would go to another club for less money to experience success and/or culture change.

Wow just wow. You don’t even know your own teams gameplan and it’s strengths/weaknesses.

Sorry what? At the end of 2020 when the rule came in, what was our game plan?
And what happened in 2021?
And what was the reason people gave for what happened in 2021?

Regurgitating a brainless online epithet like ‘wow, just wow’ doesn’t make you right.

Geelong was critised in 2021 for having a slow gameplan. And they changed it this year. So not really sure how the standing rule helped them in the first season.

Many players brought it up as part of a reason for their success this season, and commentators constantly mentioned it. Are they all wrong and you are right I guess?

There is a difference between trying to guess and actually knowing.

If player X is on $450,000 at a top team, him a solid B grade player who is selected every week. He knows he is on a bit less than other players of his skill level but accepts it because he is in a top team and knows that in order to be in that top team he needs to accept less. However he really isn't sure exactly how much other players are being paid.

Then all player salaries are published and he sees that player Y, who is in a lower ranked team, but who is definitely not as good as him, is on $650,000 a year. Now, player X knew he was on less, but now he knows he is on $200,000 a year less, and that his career isn't that long, and he only has another contract or two, him learning that over the life of his AFL career he could earn $1 million less than player Y despite being a better player. The difference between guessing that, and actually knowing it is huge as that $1 million could set up player X for life, he may not need to work after AFL with that extra money, but if he stayed at his current club he may need to find a new job after football as he wasn't paid enough to completely retire.

If I were player X I would seriously consider finding a club lower down the order but one which would pay me 30% more than I am currently earning, enough to set me up for life.
I would dare say the players and managers would already have a fair idea

Most players are under a small number of management groups so they would have a very good understanding of the pay structures of every list

Making the info public would satisfy curiosity and feed media but not change the system as it stands

Why is one rule change ‘to help Geelong’ when another one - literally nicknamed ‘the Blicavs rule’ - ignored?
Oh, c'mon. Next thing you're going to be saying that Shaun Grigg isn't a premiership ruckman!

For what it's worth - no, Geelong aren't too powerful. They are a well run club with a point of difference (regional Victoria) that allows them to recruit a good team.

I'm more worried that we're now entering the era of a two-tier competition (like the EPL). Whilst my team is one of the power clubs, the joy of footy comes from watching the underdogs rise up the table over several years because of good drafting. There is a very real risk those days are over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back