Ultimate Glory Hawks vs Swans - We take flag number 12 - our greatest flag - The Hard Way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair call. Buckley has always had great respect for the Hawthorn FC though.

'twas a fantastic media commentator and I feel he has been badly burnt by the Collingwood player group

Bucks was doing special comments on the ABC radio commentary yesterday and was really good; very insightful and you could hear the admiration and respect for Hawthorn in his voice. Reckon he's a poor coach but maybe he should go back to the media.

Just a random reflection... can't remember how many times I watched in disbelief as everything just came off for us. Several times I was yelling loudly at my friends 'WTF????' as one superlative play outdid the next, beginning with Cyril's attempted mark of the millennium.

Anyway, I totally lost my shit when THAT goal went through on the boundary line from Langers. Put you glasses down, nothing was going to stop the Hawthorn juggernaut at that point. But geezus... seriously... WTF?? WTF?? Did that shit just happen?? Wowee!! What a day, what a flag, what determination was shown in seeking revenge from 2012. Clinical. And the $wans could no nothing but take the punishment they were being given. Loved it. :thumbsu:

We were definitely out to get Hannebery and it worked. He was completely taken out of the game. Loved watched him getting crunched by Rough, Bruest and Hale by such brutal legal hits. He would've been having second thoughts about getting the ball by the end. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke! His normal arrogant smirk was no where to be seen!

McVeigh, McGlynn, Goodes, Tippett and Parker were also found wanting quite badly under the constant physical pressure. Ironic that Malceski was one of the few who played well given that he is normally a squib.

The tongue didn't hang out, nor was there any finger-wagging.

Just a random reflection... can't remember how many times I watched in disbelief as everything just came off for us. Several times I was yelling loudly at my friends 'WTF????' as one superlative play outdid the next, beginning with Cyril's attempted mark of the millennium.

Anyway, I totally lost my shit when THAT goal went through on the boundary line from Langers. Put you glasses down, nothing was going to stop the Hawthorn juggernaut at that point. But geezus... seriously... WTF?? WTF?? Did that shit just happen?? Wowee!! What a day, what a flag, what determination was shown in seeking revenge from 2012. Clinical. And the $wans could no nothing but take the punishment they were being given. Loved it. :thumbsu:

Even the coin toss went our way:p:D And to further extend on that we finished the game with out reports and no injury's:D:thumbsu:

Congrats Hawkers. Your boys played the perfect grand final. A team united. No passengers.

Enjoy the spoils.

Signed
your enemy
campaigner #1
I'll thank you on behalf of the boys who are now booked in for hip replacement surgery.

I have my own little story about our 2014 premiership. It's a bit tough to share this, so please try not to judge.

I have suffered from major depression for quite a while, but over the past few months my life has just fallen into a hole. I decide to go out for a few drinks with my friends on Friday night, and end up feeling absolutely miserable about the sort of person I am, how bad I look, and how I've been an absolute failure in every single aspect of life except academia. I was supposed to fly to Melbourne Saturday morning and watch the GF at a party my uncle's place, and I got into a major drunk fight with my mum on the phone when I said I couldn't do it (my parents care a lot but they sure as hell don't understand my feelings). Around 2am, I burst into my fourth floor apartment, stand on the ledge of the balcony with tears in my eyes, fully intending on making the jump. Seconds away from making the stupidest decision after 20 years of life. All those thoughts were going through my head, the "what have I got to live for", "what value do I add to this world", "why does everything come so naturally and easily to everybody else and not to me", "will I ever be able to get any enjoyment out of life again". But then I remember, my Hawks are playing in a grand final tomorrow. And unlike the other three recent ones, I felt confident about this one. I just didn't want to miss the opportunity to see the word "Hawthorn" engraved on yet another premiership cup.

So I head straight to my bed, and wake up late the next morning. No walking around the city with my Hawks guernsey on for me. I just lay in bed, feeling hungover and miserable, ignoring the 500 calls from my family back in Victoria. I get out around 1pm, make myself a huge bowl of penne carbonara (with a whole heap of bacon and garlic because bacon and garlic rule), fully expecting to never eat another meal again. And finally, the wait is over, and the GF starts. Ten minutes into the first quarter, the thought that we might actually win this begins to come over me. And not only were we just going to win, we were going to dismantle the opposition. And not just any opposition, the COLA-fuelled campaigners they call the $hitney $wan$. I hadn't truly felt happy since mid June, and here I was sitting with a huge grin on my face. Alone of course, because other people will only ever screw you over and leave your confidence in tatters.

Thanks Hawthorn for possibly saving at least one life from the biggest and nastiest killer of young men. I still haven't left my apartment, and the closest thing I've had to human contact is a bit of grand final related banter over text (I don't yet have the confidence to take a call). I still absolutely loathe myself, but I do want to continue to live, even if only to be on the wonderful journey that is being a supporter of the Hawthorn Football Club.

So congrats to Hodge. Congrats to Mitch. Congrats to Cyril. Congrats to Roughy. Congrats to Hill. Congrats to Langford. Congrats to Puopolo. Congrats to every single player who pulled on the brown and gold at any stage in this season. And perhaps most importantly, congrats to Clarko and the multitude of off field staff that helped win #12. "Our greatest flag"? Damn right Grizz. I'll remember it well, at least.

Watch the game again and then maybe give your mates or family a call.

I have my own little story about our 2014 premiership. It's a bit tough to share this, so please try not to judge.

I have suffered from major depression for quite a while, but over the past few months my life has just fallen into a hole. I decide to go out for a few drinks with my friends on Friday night, and end up feeling absolutely miserable about the sort of person I am, how bad I look, and how I've been an absolute failure in every single aspect of life except academia. I was supposed to fly to Melbourne Saturday morning and watch the GF at a party my uncle's place, and I got into a major drunk fight with my mum on the phone when I said I couldn't do it (my parents care a lot but they sure as hell don't understand my feelings). Around 2am, I burst into my fourth floor apartment, stand on the ledge of the balcony with tears in my eyes, fully intending on making the jump. Seconds away from making the stupidest decision after 20 years of life. All those thoughts were going through my head, the "what have I got to live for", "what value do I add to this world", "why does everything come so naturally and easily to everybody else and not to me", "will I ever be able to get any enjoyment out of life again". But then I remember, my Hawks are playing in a grand final tomorrow. And unlike the other three recent ones, I felt confident about this one. I just didn't want to miss the opportunity to see the word "Hawthorn" engraved on yet another premiership cup.

So I head straight to my bed, and wake up late the next morning. No walking around the city with my Hawks guernsey on for me. I just lay in bed, feeling hungover and miserable, ignoring the 500 calls from my family back in Victoria. I get out around 1pm, make myself a huge bowl of penne carbonara (with a whole heap of bacon and garlic because bacon and garlic rule), fully expecting to never eat another meal again. And finally, the wait is over, and the GF starts. Ten minutes into the first quarter, the thought that we might actually win this begins to come over me. And not only were we just going to win, we were going to dismantle the opposition. And not just any opposition, the COLA-fuelled campaigners they call the $hitney $wan$. I hadn't truly felt happy since mid June, and here I was sitting with a huge grin on my face. Alone of course, because other people will only ever screw you over and leave your confidence in tatters.

Thanks Hawthorn for possibly saving at least one life from the biggest and nastiest killer of young men. I still haven't left my apartment, and the closest thing I've had to human contact is a bit of grand final related banter over text (I don't yet have the confidence to take a call). I still absolutely loathe myself, but I do want to continue to live, even if only to be on the wonderful journey that is being a supporter of the Hawthorn Football Club.

So congrats to Hodge. Congrats to Mitch. Congrats to Cyril. Congrats to Roughy. Congrats to Hill. Congrats to Langford. Congrats to Puopolo. Congrats to every single player who pulled on the brown and gold at any stage in this season. And perhaps most importantly, congrats to Clarko and the multitude of off field staff that helped win #12. "Our greatest flag"? Damn right Grizz. I'll remember it well, at least.
Hang in there mate. Depression is a horrible thing. Glad the hawks can bring some joy during a tough time.

And on a light hearted note - "why does everything come so naturally and easily to everybody else and not to me". That's simply not true - unless your name is Cyril Rioli of course.

Have not been through all the posts or threads so the following ma have already been said but it won't hurt to keep repeating an amazing bit of history. Some are saying Hawthorn is the most successful club in the last forty, some say fifty years and yes that is true but it is even better than that.

Hawthorn entered the competition in 1925 and is the only club to have won 12 Premierships since 1925. That is 89 years making Hawthorn the most successful club in 89 years. But wait; there's more.

HAWTHORN IS THE MOST SUCCESSFUL CLUB IN THE LAST 100 YEARS. That folks is a fact. Actually the most successful in about the last 102 years.

100 years of greatness and we were not even there for 11 of those years.

Just saying:cool:

Welcome back LM of G - went to Linda Cres today and was thinking of you and family. All the best - Cheers.

All the very best young fella.

If you think you have no future just think on this for a moment. There is a massive need for people who were in your position and got through it to help people through it now, and in the future you'll potentially be one of them. I know if one of my kids ever went through what you're going through I'd love to know there are people out there like you who have found a path through to help them, and maybe that is your calling.

Whatever the case, good luck we are with you in our love and respect of hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, there was some serious magical shit happening. Bruce said it well that we produced our masterpiece. Seriously, you couldn't script half this stuff! LOL

It's a brilliant effort when your FB (Lake) gets 7 marks / 20 disposals & keeps his opponent to 1.1 (16 disp) & the CHB has 32 disposals. That's huge rebounding power from what are usually stopper-positions.
Lake would have had another norm smith had sydney's midfield played better and got the ball down there more often!

Have not been through all the posts or threads so the following ma have already been said but it won't hurt to keep repeating an amazing bit of history. Some are saying Hawthorn is the most successful club in the last forty, some say fifty years and yes that is true but it is even better than that.

Hawthorn entered the competition in 1925 and is the only club to have won 12 Premierships since 1925. That is 89 years making Hawthorn the most successful club in 89 years. But wait; there's more.

HAWTHORN IS THE MOST SUCCESSFUL CLUB IN THE LAST 100 YEARS. That folks is a fact. Actually the most successful in about the last 102 years.

Well said Lord Mud. I have loved this club since I saw my first bit of footy after the matinee at the Palace theatre, a drop kick from Glenferrie oval.
I consider myself a very lucky member of the Hawthorn family, and have met many great people through our wonderful club, too many to name.

Of all the premierships, this is probably the most memorable, due to the very difficult season we had.

On thing I would like to stipulate with confidence, and that is I bet Clarko isn't sitting back, smiling and thinking, "mission accomplished." No! Our coach would be thinking there's work to do if we are going to improve in 2015.

Just one last thing, and as we are Hawthorn, all supporters will understand my question. How can a coach win 3 flags in 7 years, but not get 1 coach of the year award? Oh, we don't play for awards, we play for premierships. Go Hawks, more success is on the way!

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing, it must have been very hard for you.

For what its worth, you are not alone, there are many people out there who are afflicted with this terrible disease & unfortunately it is a lifelong battle that most people do not understand.

Try & stay positive & seek as much professional & personal support that you can. Sport can be a wonderful pick me up & I hope for you & your family's sake that you can enjoy many more Hawks Premierships.

And your club rightly so deserves the respect. I've enjoyed seeing how gracious your fans have been in this victory. Yes you have celebrated but you haven't been unbearable victors like Geelong and Sydney fans were when they won. It really irks me when clubs like Fremantle and their supporters pass smartarse and disrespectful comments about your club and indeed mine, when their club has no history whatsoever. If I was a Docker fan I would be respectful to those clubs who have more history and success (Every Club except for the 3 franchises). Our two clubs are in the same boat at the moment (On field success this year not included), we are being punished for making successful business decisions and being ordered to help COMPETITORS who were too incompetent to manage their own finances properly.

Eagles, Hawks and Collingwood should get together and give a big **** YOU! to the AFL!

just got back home after a 7 hour trek up the Hume. Great game, great result, I still have no voice after shouting and singing so much yesterday...

anyone make some good money of the betting yesterday ?
Don't know if this counts, but in November last year luxbet had a promotion so I put $100 on Hawthorn to win this years premiership, ended up winning $485.
Add to that winning Jed's jersey earlier this year, here on Bigfooty, and as you can imagine, I'm very happy.

And winning back-to-back, what more could one ask for.

Always Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back