Hayden Skipworth

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Reilly actually HADNT shown anything. I was wrong, I'm happy to admit. There you go.

Take my hand and I'll show you a brave new world.

AJ_No.4 said:
The reason I haven't seen enough of Smith is that I don't go to SANFL games and I think he has played under 5 games of AFL ( That's if he has played any at all). That is how I can say that I haven't seen enough of him.

Skipworth, I have seen everyone of his games, be it live or on television. I guess at the end of the day everyone has a player that they hate seeing playing in the side and Skipdudworth is mine.

whoosh, straight over your head...

To those few ignorant enough to suggest we dispose of Skipworth as quickly as possible I pose this question to you. For as unlikely an AFL player as Skipworth is, which player would slot into his place in the 22?

As much as I've disliked Skipworth, he did show much for a bloke his size last year and he does seem to 'potentially' (hate that word) be a useful contributor to our club week in week out.

The fact we're in such dire troubles with the depth of our list right now suggests purely and simply that we have no better options. I certainly don't think Skipworth would be the first head I'd have on the chopping block at the end of this year, he needs to take another step yes but I think he could be quite useful pinch-hitting from a forward pocket.

When it all boils down to it, as much as we all love our club, our starting 18 is competitive at AFL level, our next 10 however would be struggling to get a game with the doggies at SANFL level at times. We have one of the shallowest depth pools in the league at the moment and unless players like Van Berlo and Meesen can step up straight away this year then that wont change for a good 3 or 4 years yet.

The best case scenario would be having every player we drafted in this years national draft stepping up and eventually playing games of AFL football for us. The likelihood however is that 2 or 3 maximum out of the lot will make it at AFL level.

Before you immediately have skippy kicked out of the AFC though I'd have a good long look at blokes such as Ladhams, Schuback, Doughty, Begley, Shirley and Krueger. There are 6 players that are guilty until proven innocent for starters. You can only delist so many players per year and I'd say Skippy is reasonably safe for now.

I really hope Skipworth can contribute for us this year, face it we've all had a crack at him at some stage or another, the kid deserves to make it just for everything he's got going against him. Should he make it, I hope the AFC gives him the nickname 'Bogues' or 'Muggsy' :D

Uh Rave Slave, sorry to ruin your tirade but Doughty and Begley have shown FAR more than Skippy. Arguably Shirley has as well.

Ladhams did a while back, but hasn't since, and no argument on Schuback or Kruegeles though.

spindoctor said:
Uh Rave Slave, sorry to ruin your tirade but Doughty and Begley have shown FAR more than Skippy. Arguably Shirley has as well.

Ladhams did a while back, but hasn't since, and no argument on Schuback or Kruegeles though.

Admittedly so on Doughty and Begley yes. Shirley IMO has to be one of the least damaging players ever to have played a game of AFL. Might pick up as many as 20 touches but none seem to do any damage.

Doughty has shown more (I like Doughty) but he's what 25 turning 26. Definitely getting on in age and his best footy has to start now. I think he will make it but should he be unlucky enough to cop another Jeff Farmer special or a season ending injury then I really think he'll be delisted.

Same goes with Begs, potentially a very good player for us. But what's the use of having a very good player who plays 6 games a year over a player that tries his guts out and gets 18+ games a year. Tough a call as it is, I think on sheer bad luck Doughty and Begley would be on the chopping block ahead of Skippy.

You don't keep a player on what he once did - Ladhams should be first on the chopping block unless he shows something special this year (ie that he has a heart and isn't an arrogant tosser)

Yes but Shirley is quite an effective tagger, which Skipworth isn't. We have plenty of players who can do Skipworth, but don't seem to have any potential taggers outside Shirls.

The guy has the talent, no questions there, I know talent when I see it, it is just that he is a bit small for a permanent midfield role, his best position. Handy across half forward but lacks penetration with his kicks. Disposal skills are pretty good, and for a guy so small, he really gives his all. Def not our worst and worth persisting with for back-up in case key players go down. All teams have 2nd teir players, he is one of them. Yes, some teams have a lot better 2nd teir player than us, eg Port but Skippy is far from the worst.

I'd have him as emergency for our best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back