Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Is it just me? Polkinghorne recovering from a hernia operation. Drummond's hip still causing problems. Charman's achilles coming along well [2 years down the well-worn track!!!]. Bewick and Patfull etc return to training with the main group. McGrath recovering from injury. Brown on a modified training program. Xavier Clarke- say no more. Fevola- say even less.

And we haven't played a bloody game yet.

Very few new injuries Tassie and apart from X all of the others have been short termers like every team is getting atm.

Drummond and Brown on their programs and should be right to go for round 1. Those two were always going to be nursed through.

Is it just me? Polkinghorne recovering from a hernia operation. Drummond's hip still causing problems. Charman's achilles coming along well [2 years down the well-worn track!!!]. Bewick and Patfull etc return to training with the main group. McGrath recovering from injury. Brown on a modified training program. Xavier Clarke- say no more. Fevola- say even less.

And we haven't played a bloody game yet.
Plus Bartlett.

Mcgrath, Patfull and Drummond not having a full pre-season is not a good sign for our back 6 which had a terrible last season with virtually everyone missing a handful of games or at least half a season. Need our backline to hold together this year as well as our extremely young midfield to avoid going any further down the ladder.

Unfair to lump Brown in there. Just about any KPP over the age of 23/24 will be on a modified training program.

As for guys like Charmo, X and Bartlett, they haven't been part of our on field group in the good times (2009) or the bad (2010) so it is a bit hard to assess the impact their absence will have.

I'd look at the positives - going forward, our "core" is probably going to be Leuenberger, Clark, Rich, Redden, Rockliff - they all seem to be putting in decent pre-seasons.

Nothing to worry about. The rehab group is smaller and with less serious injuries than it has been for a while. Basically, 90% of teams have a rehab group this time of year, silly to risk players without it even being round 1 yet.

Having said that, Drummond having early injuries does worry me slightly, but all things considered should play round 1.

Plus Bartlett.

Mcgrath, Patfull and Drummond not having a full pre-season is not a good sign for our back 6 which had a terrible last season with virtually everyone missing a handful of games or at least half a season. Need our backline to hold together this year as well as our extremely young midfield to avoid going any further down the ladder.
I acknowledge that Drummond is a key element but he was always going to be on a modified program given his injury history. McGrath is part of the forwards group by the sounds of it and he was lucky to hold his spot at times last year. Patfull is competing with Staker and Maguire for a spot in the back 6 and is by no means assured.

McGrath is part of the forwards group by the sounds of it and he was lucky to hold his spot at times last year.

If true then I hope Hanley has had a good pre-season and is ready to make the HBF position his. Mcgrath was in career best form running the ball out of our 50 into the midfield in 09 and he matches up very well on the small forwards.

Would really like to see Hanley step up again this season. He wasn't too bad in his few games last year, still has some learning to do, but didn't look completely out of his depth. He really could be a punishing rebounding defender.

As far as our injuries go, i don't think there is much to worry about just yet. Every team has a few little niggles, and our only major injuries are to players that haven't really been around anyway.

The view with fitness is always for round 1, and i think we'll have a pretty healthy list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winced when I saw people talking about Hanley in here.

He copped a pretty serious looking ankle injury at training today. :(

Please no :(. He's one of my favourite young Lions and I was so excited to see him this year.

Link to article

Voss has endured a horror run of injury over his first two years as a senior coach but suddenly finds himself with close to a full squad on the park. Going into last year's NAB Cup Voss had 27 players to choose from, this year the number is likely to be 40.

Heard a whisper last night that JB is suffering a "knee infection".

Is anyone out there any the wiser, and if the rumour is correct, please, all the powers that be, let this not be golden staph.

Thanks- hadn't seen the Club's press release.

Without wishing to sound alarmist, must be a worry when a knee infection "requires constant medical attention over the next few days", and prevents flying. I mean, they don't have doctors in Melbourne?

And what is going on with Drummond?

My source at training this morning tells me that JB appeared to be running quite freely with the rehab group.

Very positive feedback re the rookies from a very well-placed club source. And a strong prevailing player group sentiment that they were sick of the continuing negative media commentary.

Is there an issue with flying when on anti-biotics?

The Club has reported via twitter that it is not staph.

It could be something like cellulitis, which is extremely minor, with monitoring required to ensure it doesn't turn into osteomyelitis, which can be vicious.

To be completely honest the JB thing sounds like a Brownie needs to be in Briz thing this weekend (personal or club reasons) and they have said "don't worry Brownie, we'll come up with something". I'm totally fine with that, but it really does sound a bit sus to me...

I agree with you joshhem, it sounds a little sus...
But hey – we [Vics] were fortunate to celebrate his 200th down here last year… if this is the trade off then so be it – rest up champ!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back