Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
What would've happened back in 2008 if the AFL instead of having teams on the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney, decided to have not one, but two teams from Tasmania-one in Hobart, the other in Launceston, to capitalise on the rivalry between the North and South of Tasmania?
The advantages would've been twofold: 1) a game in Tasmania EVERY week, and a rivalry game between Hobart and Launceston during Rivalry Round, that will be a bit like the Showdown in Adelaide, with press and media coverage, and the buildup to the first 'Battle of Tasmania' would be like AFL Grand Final Week.
And the AFL wouldn't be in much trouble as they are now with the Gold Coast Suns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I appreciate your support of Tasmania, there's a few things you haven't considered:

1) Victoria has a population of over 5 million. Divided across 10 teams, that leaves over 500,000 people for each team. Tasmania has a population of 500,000 total, so splitting that in half really doesn't make a lot of sense this early. Perhaps it should be seen if a single team will succeed before plonking two on our island.

2) The north vs south thing is a big load of bullshit to a majority of Tasmanians. Maybe it rang true once upon a time, but the average Tasmanian under 25 will have no idea a rivalry even exists.

I'm all for a team in Tasmania and would certainly sign up as a member and attend games, but putting two teams in the one state without even knowing if a single team will go well is a bit silly.

Nope. We should get teams in Ballarat and Bendigo.

Imagine the opportunity the country cup games would provide with Geel-Ball-Bend meeting each other semi regularly.

Everyone in the towns not at the games would be watching on TV so it would be great for ratings and the TV deal

What would've happened back in 2008 if the AFL instead of having teams on the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney, decided to have not one, but two teams from Tasmania-one in Hobart, the other in Launceston, to capitalise on the rivalry between the North and South of Tasmania?
The advantages would've been twofold: 1) a game in Tasmania EVERY week, and a rivalry game between Hobart and Launceston during Rivalry Round, that will be a bit like the Showdown in Adelaide, with press and media coverage, and the buildup to the first 'Battle of Tasmania' would be like AFL Grand Final Week.
And the AFL wouldn't be in much trouble as they are now with the Gold Coast Suns.
As an Adelaide boy living in Hobart - I'm wondering if you have ever experienced the maniacal footy followers in SA OR the joy and blissful emptiness of Tasmania !! Because if you had, you would have stopped well into your first paragraph and hit delete ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine the opportunity the country cup games would provide with Geel-Ball-Bend meeting each other semi regularly.

Everyone in the towns not at the games would be watching on TV so it would be great for ratings and the TV deal

Our oval in Bendigo doesn't even have permanent seats around the ground. Would be worst than Tasmania.

What would have happened? You would have ended with a bigger financial disaster.

That ratio would put 23 teams in Perth alone. And 52 in Melbourne.

You could only put teams in Bendigo and Ballarat if you were seriously considering a 100 team league.

While I appreciate your support of Tasmania, there's a few things you haven't considered:

1) Victoria has a population of over 5 million. Divided across 10 teams, that leaves over 500,000 people for each team. Tasmania has a population of 500,000 total, so splitting that in half really doesn't make a lot of sense this early. Perhaps it should be seen if a single team will succeed before plonking two on our island.

2) The north vs south thing is a big load of bullshit to a majority of Tasmanians. Maybe it rang true once upon a time, but the average Tasmanian under 25 will have no idea a rivalry even exists.

I'm all for a team in Tasmania and would certainly sign up as a member and attend games, but putting two teams in the one state without even knowing if a single team will go well is a bit silly.

Needing the first club to go well (unaided) didn't stop them with NSW or QLD...

This would not work. Not even a tiny bit. I mean coke is probably harder to get here than on the Gold Coast, maybe the players would hold their mad monday on a poppy plantation instead. But the population isn't enough to support one team without some kind of propping up. Two is crazy talk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well it would certainly create some rivalry , but I think one team would have to be the go . Because of money.

Remember its not far from Hobart up to Launceston , travel would not be an issue , and I would think they could play alternative home grounds with the one club , so that they would get regular games in Hobart and Launceston.

I would also reckon they could keep North and Hawthorn playing maybe 2 or 3 games each in Tassie to give even more regular football down there.

The Tasmanian question is a question that should not have to be answered or even asked, there should have been one of those licences that are in the two Northern states , one of them SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN TASMANIA. And its a bloody disgrace that there is not a Tasmanian AFL club down there.

Needing the first club to go well (unaided) didn't stop them with NSW or QLD...

Your right Telsor the AFL just threw those two new clubs in for TV rights money, on a wild hope and a wild guess, not a very good idea.

But a team in Tassie is essential , but I also think just one , two could kill it. One Tasmanian AFL club then you would see a new club being very successful in a footy state, that loves and supports it.

Then maybe even the TV rights would have worked out because all the three other main football states along with the territories would be watching it on TV because Tasmania would be a gun club .

They're an AUSTRALIAN RULES STATE.

Is it too late to change , only administrations with courage would try.

This AFL is a manipulating , inconsistent joke at the moment, and hypocrites to boot , as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back