Multiplat Homefront

Rented this today, all I can say is glad I rented it.

The single player story was okay but the gameplay is taking a step back from recent fps.

Going back to total war shogun 2 now that's a great game

Went to buy this today. Got into the store, remembered this thread....hesitated and picked up Dragons Age : Origins for $30 instead. :)

A day in the life of Ant_..........

Ant: Hi Carol Beer, receptionist at EB, should I buy this game???

Carole Beer: computer says no.

carol-beer-computer-says-no1.jpg

Kaos Studios gone, franchise likely to be kept alive by one of THQ's in-house devs.

Seems like a VERY harsh decision from THQ, while the game did nothing critically (70 across the board at Metacritic). It did sell really well, around 2 million units, an amount that would've well and truly made THQ their money back and then some.

I guess things aren't always based around the all ighty ollar.

Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/thq-shutters-homefront-developer-kaos-studios/3365/
Today, the publisher announced that the New York City-based developer had been closed, alongside THQ's UK studio, THQ Digital Warrington.

THQ had no comment on the reason behind the closure, except to call the move a "a strategic realignment within its internal studio structure." THQ also noted in its press statement that the publisher is currently hiring at its Montreal, Austin, and Vancouver studios, and that anyone affected by the Kaos and Digital Warrington layoffs would have the opportunity to interview elsewhere in THQ.

Kaos' last development efforts on Homefront were on the now unfortunately titled "Fire Sale" map pack, which releases tomorrow.

Kaos Studios gone, franchise likely to be kept alive by one of THQ's in-house devs.

Seems like a VERY harsh decision from THQ, while the game did nothing critically (70 across the board at Metacritic). It did sell really well, around 2 million units, an amount that would've well and truly made THQ their money back and then some.

Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/thq-shutters-homefront-developer-kaos-studios/3365/

It's funny that the last thing thing they worked on (Homefront DLC) was called "Fire Sale".

Homefront's franchise has been moved to THQ's Montreal HQ.
I'm not sure if they have burnt to many international buyers with the first one (shocking server issues) and the very very short campaign.

Eurogamer had a chat with Bilson at E3.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-13-thq-confirms-homefront-2-plans

It did sell really well, around 2 million units, an amount that would've well and truly made THQ their money back and then some.

No HBK.

With production costs of $35 million to $50 million and tens of millions more to advertise, Homefront is the most expensive video game THQ has produced. The company must sell 2 million copies just to break even, a company executive said.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/15/business/la-fi-ct-thq-bilson-20110315

They sold 1 mill in the first week and have shipped over 2.5 mill worldwide, thats pretty good for a new IP but 2 mil as a breakeven you would like better sales than what they got.

They sold 1 mill in the first week and have shipped over 2.5 mill worldwide, thats pretty good for a new IP but 2 mil as a breakeven you would like better sales than what they got.
THQ are dumb as hell for putting that much money into the game.

$50mil to make the game, $10-20mil to market the game. That's just ridiculous, especially when the marketing for the game is this:
A4mao.png

I agree with HBK, here. The game was pretty shitty, but this stinks of passing the buck. It was the high-ups in THQ that decided to throw stupid amounts of money behind this games marketing. KAOS made an average game that probably sold as well as could have. Fire the ********s who were directly responsible for the loss of money, not the dev team.

This is a perfect example of the absurd nature of big budget game development these days. Everyone throwing stupid amounts of money into shallow experiences that have already been done a thousand times this generation, hoping, with enough marketing, that the game will snowball and sell CoD-like numbers. It doesn't happen... CoD gamers play CoD, they don't want to play Medal of Honor, Homefront or whatever.

The sooner the big publishers get over their CoD crutch, the better for gaming.

In a surprise move Crytek have been chosen as the one's to continue Homefront on.

Source: http://www.randomprodinc.com/crytek-to-develop-homefront-sequel/
Today THQ announced that Crytek will develop the next installment in their Homefront Series.

“Selecting Crytek to take Homefront forward underscores our strategy of working with the industry’s best talent,” said Danny Bilson, EVP Core Games, THQ.

Homefront‘s unique setting and storyline captivated gamers the world over. With Crytek’s industry leading technology and legendary experience in the FPS genre, we’re supremely confident that the next Homefront will deliver that AAA-quality experience that players demand.”

Back