How many new recruits is too many?

Remove this Banner Ad

the_onlooker

Draftee
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
With all the talk of Skye and others picking up heaps of new guns. I pose this question?

How many new guys in the one team is too many?

My theory is that an addition of any more than 5-6 players into a senior line up will effectively throw off any team balance that was achieved the year before, thusly creating an entirely new team with all the ramifications of such.

Including:

- learning to gel together as a team.
- having to discover teammates strengths and weaknesses.
- finding playing positions and best possible line ups

Obviously Parkmore in DIV 3 2006 would be an exception to my rule but they had special circumstances. ( which was obviously players that were several rungs above the grade they were playing)

I would appreciate any opinions on this.

I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves, for example:

Even though Blac04 is entertaining, do not believe his words, although Skye has added 5 very good recruits, aloot of other new players down the club are very young and will spend there time in the twos!!

Skye has kept the core group from last year and has also added a few finishing touches on the sqaud which will help imrove the team, this is what all teams should do, Identify certain weaknesses and recruit players to fill that hole!!

I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves, for example:

Even though Blac04 is entertaining, do not believe his words, although Skye has added 5 very good recruits, aloot of other new players down the club are very young and will spend there time in the twos!!

Skye has kept the core group from last year and has also added a few finishing touches on the sqaud which will help imrove the team, this is what all teams should do, Identify certain weaknesses and recruit players to fill that hole!!
You can never have enough recruits from a clubs point of view. Like Skye, we at Doveton have picked up many new players this year, most of them young fellas who will most likely play 2s with about 5 or 6 that will fit into the 1s. ( which we needed anyway ) But if you look at it as 1 club, it creates more membership, more players at training thus better atmosphere, better functions, ect ect. Thats provided they enjoy it.

With all the talk of Skye and others picking up heaps of new guns. I pose this question?

How many new guys in the one team is too many?

My theory is that an addition of any more than 5-6 players into a senior line up will effectively throw off any team balance that was achieved the year before, thusly creating an entirely new team with all the ramifications of such.

Including:

- learning to gel together as a team.
- having to discover teammates strengths and weaknesses.
- finding playing positions and best possible line ups

Obviously Parkmore in DIV 3 2006 would be an exception to my rule but they had special circumstances. ( which was obviously players that were several rungs above the grade they were playing)

I would appreciate any opinions on this.

in round 1 last year chelt had 17 new players in the senior side. ended the season in 3rd. so i guess it can work

You can never have enough recruits from a clubs point of view. Like Skye, we at Doveton have picked up many new players this year, most of them young fellas who will most likely play 2s with about 5 or 6 that will fit into the 1s. ( which we needed anyway ) But if you look at it as 1 club, it creates more membership, more players at training thus better atmosphere, better functions, ect ect. Thats provided they enjoy it.

agree 100% scratcha! those 5-6 blokes that will go in to the 1's will push some blokes back to the 2's which will help win some games there. winning games in both sides helps create more enthusiasm around the place, which just helps breed success.should be an exciting year for both sides at doveton!

Probably 3-4.Depends on the personalities of the new guys . If they are loud mouths and think theyre a bit better than they really are then thats heaps.
If they have come with a new coach then thats different too as they usually get about 15 games to prove thenselves and don't get dropped which causes dissention.
If its a fairly good solid club that are strong at selection then almost any number could work ie: Chelt(17)

Yeah i reckon as long as everyone gets along well, then you can have as many new blokes as you want, providing they arent in the side when they shouldnt be.

I think 4 or more paid new players can oiss off other players at the club who may feel they should be paid.

You can never have too many new players tho, if they want to play for the club bring it on, if they're only there for money they're not welcome IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back