Delisted Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Hugh was again one of the best on ground for Sandy . Surely he must be in the seniors next week especially with Brown facing suspension for a late bump . It’s time for him to come into the Saints team , Brown had a total of 4 disposals against the Drug Cheats when we really needed him to stand up .

Go Saints

RELATED

VFL: Photos Round 19
VFL Preview: Round 19 v Casey Demons
Goddard played his best game today and is pushing his case for senior selection.
Aaron Hamill
St Kilda defender Hugh Goddard was a clear standout on Saturday afternoon in Sandringham’s narrow 21-point loss to the Casey Demons in overcast conditions at Casey Fields.

Finishing with 22 disposals and a game-high 14 marks, the 21-year-old impressed with his reading of the flight and strong hands, along with Luke Dunstan (32 disposals, eight tackles), Darren Minchington (26 disposals, five tackles) and Mav Weller (23 disposals, six tackles).

Go Saints

Hamill says -
Hugh Goddard 16 kicks, 6 handballs, 14 marks, 2 tackles

It stands to reason that Hugh has earned the right to be in the conversation, and I think on the back of his positioning and his ability to mark the ball in contested situations, he was able to compete really strongly for us. He’s put together a really good solid month for us, Hughy, and that’ll hold him in good stead.

Go Saints

Hugh Goddard returns to senior football for the first time in over two years on the back of a phenomenal month of football in the VFL, where he took a game-high 14 marks on the weekend.

The 196cm 21-year-old key defender has worked his way back into form after a torrid two years of injury and interruption, and Sandringham head coach Aaron Hamill is genuinely excited about Goddard’s prospects.

Go Saints

STEP one for out-of-contract St Kilda defender Hugh Goddard was returning to the elite level.

It took 805 days, but he managed that in the four-point loss to Hawthorn last Saturday night at Etihad Stadium.

In round 11, 2016, Goddard tore the Achilles tendon in his left leg against Adelaide at Adelaide Oval. The following year, turf toe in his right foot sidelined him.

The wait, as Goddard said, was a "journey", and after spending so long sidelined, it took time to return to his physical best and be more than a dour stopper.

"In terms of gaining confidence in my body, through the first half of this season I probably was just focusing on beating my man, but after that I really started to take the game on," Goddard told AFL.com.au.

"I got some great confidence from different people in terms of going for my marks and taking the game on. That's when I started to really build some form and really started enjoying my footy.

"Hopefully (Saturday night) was a good stepping stone."

Step two is earning a new deal.

Of the Saints' regular key backmen Nathan Brown is suspended, but Jake Carlisle is expected to return from a sore back against North Melbourne on Sunday.

If Goddard is selected for that clash, he will have one more chance to influence the thinking of St Kilda's list management committee when it decides whether to offer him a new deal.

Goddard, who turns 22 on Friday, knows that's the case, but he said it isn't overwhelming his thinking.

"I don't really focus on that. I think that's out of my control," Goddard said.

"All I can do is just focus on the game and just dig deep and play my best footy, and I felt like I did that (against the Hawks)."

Having been absent for so long made him appreciate being back as he notched up his 10th career match.

"It's been a journey. I saw a little stat before – it's been (805) days since my last game," Goddard said.

"It took a while to get into the game, but I'm just so grateful for the opportunity tonight and it's great being back out there with the boys. All the hard work's paid off now and I just want to keep enjoying it."

Go Saints

Very disappointed that Hugh has been delisted by the Saints .
Goddard endured a similar run with injuries after being drafted with pick 21 in the 2014 AFL Draft.

The key defender played 10 games in total, including the Round 22 clash with Hawthorn, after overcoming a serious achilles tendon issue and toe injury in previous years.

Thought he was just getting back to good form and then they delist him.

Go Saints

ST KILDA discard and 2014 first-round draft pick Hugh Goddard is training with Carlton in the hope of an AFL lifeline.

Goddard, the second cousin of ex-Saints and Essendon champion Brendon Goddard, whose own playing career is in the balance, was in danger of being an unfulfilled talent when he was delisted in late August.

The Blues reportedly met with Goddard's management in July and all signs point towards the 196cm defender receiving a second shot at the highest level.

Goddard, 22, played eight of his 10 career matches in 2015, but he ruptured the Achilles tendon in his left leg a year later to kickstart his injury nightmare, then suffered turf toe in 2017.

The Geelong Falcons product's last match and only game this past season was in round 22 against Hawthorn, when he recorded six disposals and three tackles.

Goddard was dropped for the returning Jake Carlisle the next week and delisted soon after.

St Kilda's decision to recruit fellow key defenders Carlisle, Nathan Brown and Logan Austin in recent years made life even more difficult for Goddard.

Go Saints

ST KILDA discard and 2014 first-round draft pick Hugh Goddard is training with Carlton in the hope of an AFL lifeline.

Goddard, the second cousin of ex-Saints and Essendon champion Brendon Goddard, whose own playing career is in the balance, was in danger of being an unfulfilled talent when he was delisted in late August.

The Blues reportedly met with Goddard's management in July and all signs point towards the 196cm defender receiving a second shot at the highest level.

Goddard, 22, played eight of his 10 career matches in 2015, but he ruptured the Achilles tendon in his left leg a year later to kickstart his injury nightmare, then suffered turf toe in 2017.

The Geelong Falcons product's last match and only game this past season was in round 22 against Hawthorn, when he recorded six disposals and three tackles.

Goddard was dropped for the returning Jake Carlisle the next week and delisted soon after.

St Kilda's decision to recruit fellow key defenders Carlisle, Nathan Brown and Logan Austin in recent years made life even more difficult for Goddard.

Go Saints
Hope he does get another chance.
Same for Freezer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back