aussieviking

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Esperance
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
swan districts
I always laugh at this time of year........Why didnt we get this guy or that free agent.......The truth is most of those didnt want to come west or they are not as good what we have got.

I believe last year many of our players did not perform to expectations.I will start with our midfield which I thought failed to dominate 4 quarters in barely a game last year.

I unlike others believe our midfield cost us games.You can make up for forwards and backs with a dominant midfield

SOOOO where is the improvement to come from?

Crowley - I think we should not always play a tagger. If cant play attacking as well then he needs to be ommitted. Muzingu , De3boer(would need to find more of the ball himself) could play lose tag roles if it is necessary.

Sandi - We need to get more value around the ground especially forward of centre.

Pearce the Clancy version had a bad 2014 .At his best adds to rotations

Crozier looked the goods as does lachie Neale

Mundy _ FFS learn to play 4 quarters

I would expect Walters to come into more mid rotations next year.

I would expect Griffen to get many more games next year.

And the big one - If Morobito can produce in mid field it may allow Fyfe to play 30-40% forward. Now that would be great.

Not sure about Sheridan , D Pearce but They will always be in the mix.

Ballas, Fyfe - don't get suspended.
Mundy - Rotate through the back line, but when on the ball needs to perform.
Fyfe - Rotate forward to break tag, have small stints in the midfield (5 mins) followed by 5 mins in the forward line. This would make him very hard to tag and would great a mismatch in our forward line if he drags a mid with him
Taberner, Crozier, Sheridan, Sutcliffe - Natural improvement.
Sylvia - Learn to work hard.
Walters - Full season

Tactics
Sandi - take centre square then push forward, clarke to run around the midfield for at least 50% of the time.

Sandi at worst will create a contest, and this allows Clarke to use his best attributes (his running)

Crowley - I think we should not always play a tagger. If cant play attacking as well then he needs to be ommitted. Muzingu , De3boer(would need to find more of the ball himself) could play lose tag roles if it is necessary.
He can't play attacking when hes tagging, he just doesn't have the game.

Sandi - We need to get more value around the ground especially forward of centre.
If he hasn't done this by now it ain't going to happen.

Pearce the Clancy version had a bad 2014 .At his best adds to rotations
Just needs to get fit, he'll be fine.

Crozier looked the goods as does lachie Neale
Yep

Mundy _ FFS learn to play 4 quarters
It is an issue for him, but i think its a case of the coaching staff helping him break the shackles of a tag earlier.

I would expect Walters to come into more mid rotations next year.
He will in pieces, but doubt its that regular.

I would expect Griffen to get many more games next year.
Are we resting Sandi or is he getting injured?

And the big one - If Morobito can produce in mid field it may allow Fyfe to play 30-40% forward. Now that would be great.
Hes not really like for like with Fyfey, hes more the outside run. i.e. Hill, Pearce.

Not sure about Sheridan , D Pearce but They will always be in the mix.
Sherro to improve drastically and bump DP from the side.

Mayne, Spurr and Clarke returning to 2013 form improves us dramatically even if only one of the three returns to form. Walters playing on a wing for 50% of game time has the potential to make our midfield truly elite. If Crozier can kick goals then I think our team will improve dramatically.

Expecting:

- Mundy to be more consistent.

- Expecting Stephen Hill to step up to another level and just dominate. I think he has the skills and athletic attributes to be better than Fyfe. Whether he can fully realise his potential is something we will have to wait and see.

- Barlow and Fyfe to continue being great.

- Our forwards to be averaging around 1.5-2 goals a game. (This includes Mayne). If they're not kicking goals they should be dropped back to Peel.

- Crozier and Taberner to establish themselves in the best 21.

- Sutcliffe and Walters to get a run in the midfield.

- Alex Pearce, Duffy and Apeness to get at least 5 games each.

- Morabito? Not really sure what to expect.

Mayne, Spurr and Clarke returning to 2013 form improves us dramatically even if only one of the three returns to form. Walters playing on a wing for 50% of game time has the potential to make our midfield truly elite. If Crozier can kick goals then I think our team will improve dramatically.

Agree with all these except the Walters to the midfield for 50% of the time. His best position is as a goal kicker and that's the area we are below par in. Having said that he is a special talent who could play mid quite well. Just too big a loss to remove him from the forward line. Just having him available week in and week out would improve the team by a fair margin

Mora is a long way back and I have no expectations he can contribute to any "improvement from within" scenario in 2015. I would love to be wrong about that however. Dito Sylvia.

Harsh call here but if Freo can't make better calls about McPharlin being able to play out games when returning from injury then that could be a negative situation for the team. There were a couple of games this year where he sat in a dressing gown for a fair portion of the game. There could be "improvement from within" just by getting that call right as a fit role playing fill in is better than a star pulling out at 1/4 time so as not to further injure himself.

Sutcliffe and Neale had breakout years in 2014, there is no reason they can't play at least that well again in 2015 and may even improve. Crozier has shown he has plenty to offer without nailing it and he may be one to add a little extra if he can make the type of improvement made by Sutty and Neale in 2014.

Tabberer has the ability but has been a little hot and cold and if he can contribute better when he is not playing his best then that could be a huge plus.

Agree with all these except the Walters to the midfield for 50% of the time. His best position is as a goal kicker and that's the area we are below par in. Having said that he is a special talent who could play mid quite well. Just too big a loss to remove him from the forward line. Just having him available week in and week out would improve the team by a fair margin.

I disagree with you on Walters. RTB has already stated he excpects Walters to play a significant amount of time midfield in 2015. Our midfield delivery into the forward 50 improves dramatically if he plays there. Like I said, the move works well if Crozier plays forward and kicks goals and Walters still spends 50% in forward line.

There are two other moves Id love to see in 2015. The first one is that we always play three ball winning clearance players at every centre clearance. That means we always have a rotation of three of Hill, Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Neale and Walters playing in the centre square when we have all six players available. This move means CRowley starts out of the centre square and picks up his man after the first bounce. In other words we go all out attack at the centre square.

Id also like to see Fyfe continue to play the role he finished 2014. In my opinion that role actually was starting in the centre square and then playing a kick forward of the play in general play for the majority of the game. Playing him predominately as a forward of the play role allows him to push forward when we gain possession and play a permanent forward player in general play. I would also like to see him spending 20% as our deepest forward to rest, but for the majority of the time I would have him in the hybrid deep midfield/forward line role.

At the same time he can he can push into any clearance situation anywhere on the ground when play stops to make use of his clearance work.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree with you on Walters. RTB has already stated he excpects Walters to play a significant amount of time midfield in 2015. Our midfield delivery into the forward 50 improves dramatically if he plays there. Like I said, the move works well if Crozier plays forward and kicks goals and Walters still spends 50% in forward line.

I'd add Duffy as a candidate up front too. RTB made mention of him in his recent interviews.
In the ideal world, Ballantyne and Duffy will create havoc and run the their defenders ragged.

Keep MJ on the park. Watched an early season game last night. He is the guru of the backline.
Duffy and Crozier. We need more X Factor.
Maybe just maybe Morabito.
Hill gets better every year. Fyfe isn't even to his prime football years.
Walters.

So despite Sandilands being All-Australian, double the contested marks of any other ruckman, in the top few possessions for ruckmen you want him to do better?

Despite his dominance in some areas he still has never been effective forward of the centre. I have always felt that if he can add that to his game Freo will win a flag. Big ask but....

Another pre season into Neale,Sutcliffe,Apeness,Pearce,Crozier,Sheridan,Morabito ,Grey,Ballard

Thats where the improvement will come from.One or two of these boys will take the game by throat and exceed all expectations

Agree with you.I am looking forward to your pre season training reports salim

Our defence is going to remain solid. MacPharlin to fade a bit perhaps, A Pearce to rise.

Our midfield to get even better. Clarke to get a full pre-season and increase the productivity of his partnership with Sandilands. Quite a few boys who can add something to the mix headed by Morabito, Crozier and Sheridan.

Up forward I hope they are really working on the structures of how we play, because the personnel are not going to change much. Taberner could play a lot more, and maybe Apeness can start to make his presence felt. But until then I think the best hope is for Mayne to return to the goal-kicking list. Maybe the use of Clarke and Sandilands can give us something more. But where we are most dangerous is with Ballantyne and son-son conjuring magic. They have a lot more upside.

At best we are looking at incremental improvement, and that could be enough.

I agree with the sherrif that having Walters fit all year and pushing him further up the ground will bring significant improvment.

But what excites me most about next year is the prospect of improvement in Neale, Crozier and Sutcliffe.

I expect Sutcliffe to continue on his steady path toward greatness and shift to more of a midfield role, I really rate this kid. I expect Neale to show a bit more poise this year with his disposal and therefore step up another level. And Crozier, I think, has massive potential - he excites me the most. If he can really step up this year, it gives us a lot more flexibilty in how we use Walters. And Walters delivering the ball into the forward 50 is a truly exciting prospect.

Also Taberner should be better for the experience, but I feel he has a way to go yet.

I would rotate Mundy more through the half back / forward this season. That will add to our rotations and he could be a weapon in those areas

Not a bad idea. He is the same height as McPharlin and maybe a return down back might make sense to strengthen our defensive stocks until someone develops. His disposal and run would be a big plus that's for sure. Given how much RTB seems to value big bodies in the midfield, unlikely to eventuate however.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back