Incorrect rushed behind decision

Remove this Banner Ad

in the western derby tonight freo were down by 7 with not long left, palmer kicks it to the goal square, selwood punches it through, umpire (rosebury i believe)pays deliberate rushed behind, wrong decision! freo behind by 1 instead of 6, another goal kicked freo win by 5 pts

the rushed behind should not have been payed according to the video during the week

the afl better seriously look at this so wrong decisions dont decide matches which actually matter if they bring the rule in

in the western derby tonight freo were down by 7 with not long left, palmer kicks it to the goal square, selwood punches it through, umpire (rosebury i believe)pays deliberate rushed behind, wrong decision! freo behind by 1 instead of 6, another goal kicked freo win by 5 pts

the rushed behind should not have been payed according to the video during the week

the afl better seriously look at this so wrong decisions dont decide matches which actually matter if they bring the rule in

What actually happened? I am only privy to Glen Jako's & Karl Langdon's opinions on 6PR.

Being past WC players I suspect they may be not quite impartial and would like an opinion from someone at the game.

You seem fairly outraged at a decision in a practice match result that means nothing really

You seem fairly outraged at a decision in a practice match result that means nothing really

im just pissed off that a video was released during the week showing wats right and wrong and yet the decision completely contradicts the video

All the eagles fans are crying foul but until we see the footage they're only going off the comments from the west coast cheerleaders masquerading as 6PR commentators. So forgive me if I'm a little sceptical at this point.

This was always going to happen. I don't like the rushed behind tactics of last year either, but the scoring system MUST be objective. By bringing in the 3-point rushed behind, it brings subjectivity into the equation - two umpires have to judge whether or not the player was deliberately rushing it.

It will cause more strife.

What actually happened? I am only privy to Glen Jako's & Karl Langdon's opinions on 6PR.

Being past WC players I suspect they may be not quite impartial and would like an opinion from someone at the game.

You don't think it's a little worrying that the ump misinterpreted a rule that ruined the end of a match and awarded the win to the wrong team? The fact that it's a practice match isn't the point, and neither is the fact that involved Fremantle and West Coast (believe it or not). It's a shambles, and it indicates how badly the changing rules/umpire interpretation has gotten.

Jacko and Langdon instinctively said that the ump made a complete mess of the rule, according to the DVD they had both watched. You really think they both made this up to kick up a stink about a practice match?

In the first or second quarter, and eagles player clearly rushed the ball over our goal line and no free kick was given. It all evens out in the end. Same result.

Still though, its a sh*t rule that should not come into the regular season.

I'd want clarification on what actually happened but it sounds like Roseberry cocked up yet again.

The fact it was Freo v WCE and decided the game will mean it gets coverage it deserves.

In the first or second quarter, and eagles player clearly rushed the ball over our goal line and no free kick was given. It all evens out in the end. Same result.

No it doesnt because a free kick/goal with 2 min to go is alot more influential than one before half time. Its all about momentum. If Freo received 1pt rushed behind then we would be given possession of the ball with about 1min to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More games are decided as a result of player mistakes than as a result of errors by umpires. A turnover, a dropped mark, a poor tackle, a 50 metre penalty, a missed shot on goal, running too far with the ball, hands in the back etc etc. These mistakes made by players contribute to more match results than umpiring errors (they make plenty, but very rarely determine the outcome of games).

This was always going to happen. I don't like the rushed behind tactics of last year either, but the scoring system MUST be objective. By bringing in the 3-point rushed behind, it brings subjectivity into the equation - two umpires have to judge whether or not the player was deliberately rushing it.

It will cause more strife.

I agree. This was always going to happen. This cannot be allowed to happen in the season proper, where premiership points, or possibly, a grand final are up for grabs. It undermines the game. Why are the AFL blind to this?!?

More games are decided as a result of player mistakes than as a result of errors by umpires. A turnover, a dropped mark, a poor tackle, a 50 metre penalty, a missed shot on goal, running too far with the ball, hands in the back etc etc. These mistakes made by players contribute to more match results than umpiring errors (they make plenty, but very rarely determine the outcome of games).

Player error is a factor that should determine the result of a game. Umpiring should not, and new rules that put more power in the hands of umpires to make subjective decisions (directly involving the score, no less) is simply playing with fire.

Player error is a factor that should determine the result of a game. Umpiring should not, and new rules that put more power in the hands of umpires to make subjective decisions (directly involving the score, no less) is simply playing with fire.

Umpires, like players ( & this applies in any sport), cannot be expected to be perfect. They will make mistakes, which on the odd occasion, will determine the outcome of games (I can only remember the outcome of one Carlton game which has been determined by a poor umpiring decision & that was Carlton v Bulldogs at Princes Park, when a free kick was awarded to Trent Bartlett in front of goal).

The best way for a team to ensure an umpire can't determine the outcome of the game is to ensure you are comfortably in front, or, in a close game, that you don't let the ball get near the opposition's goal. An umpire can't make a match deciding error if the ball is inside your own forward 50.

Damn, I fell asleep listening to the broadcast with eagles infront by like 4 goals and then wake up and find this out, Lol.

There's no doubt the eagles player deliberately punched it through. It wasn't a spoil, he was on his own and he clearly directed his punch straight through the goals.

Whether it's a free kick under the rules I don't know. But it was a ridiculous result and a classic example of why the rule sucks balls.

Still, it gave the eagles supporters the royal shits, so correct decision. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back