Indigenous Talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Because at 0.7% of the population the Indigenous population of Victoria is the smallest in the country, and account for only 7% of the total Indigenous population.

And then whether an academy on this model would have access to the TAC players or only those outside the system would make the odds fairly low, particularly when there are other programs like Kickstart and Collingwood's Barrawarn program to 'compete' with. If Jarman Impey is playing with the Murray Bushrangers is he elligable, or do they have to be outside the TAC Cup system?

"Oh ok, well in that case maybe we could pioneer and actually make one. Would be a nice excuse to get an advantage over the rest of the comp and might help some of these talented indigenous kids coming through...just a thought."

I was talking about making a pure football academy for indigenous players, not necessarily from TAC cup, from Vic Metro...or even from Victoria...or even located in Victoria! We aren't any chance of getting a Victorian academy for average players but perhaps this is a way to compete with the AFL Commission XVIII. Considering the AFL fund the Swans academy and they get priority from it, is a disgrace. It's not as if the AFL Commission XVIII have to wait to grab Victorian players.

"Oh ok, well in that case maybe we could pioneer and actually make one. Would be a nice excuse to get an advantage over the rest of the comp and might help some of these talented indigenous kids coming through...just a thought."

I was talking about making a pure football academy for indigenous players, not necessarily from TAC cup, from Vic Metro...or even from Victoria...or even located in Victoria! We aren't any chance of getting a Victorian academy for average players but perhaps this is a way to compete with the AFL Commission XVIII. Considering the AFL fund the Swans academy and they get priority from it, is a disgrace. It's not as if the AFL Commission XVIII have to wait to grab Victorian players.

you will still have issues getting the AFL on board.

yesterday they were discussing the Port idea of an indigenous academy with an AFL person on AW (or SEN).

They kept pushing the AFL person to say "we will support the Port academy", but he kept ducking and weaving until he dropped one important point.

The whole point of an academy is getting training and support for Aussie Rules to a community who doesn't currently have it. He used Perth as an example. An academy in Perth would just be sourcing players from the WAFL pool, so the AFL wouldn't be interested as it would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. However, an academy at Karratha, he said it would be a different issue.

Problem for your idea, is how are you providing players with a talent pathway which isn't being met by the TAC?

you will still have issues getting the AFL on board.

yesterday they were discussing the Port idea of an indigenous academy with an AFL person on AW (or SEN).

They kept pushing the AFL person to say "we will support the Port academy", but he kept ducking and weaving until he dropped one important point.

The whole point of an academy is getting training and support for Aussie Rules to a community who doesn't currently have it. He used Perth as an example. An academy in Perth would just be sourcing players from the WAFL pool, so the AFL wouldn't be interested as it would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. However, an academy at Karratha, he said it would be a different issue.

Problem for your idea, is how are you providing players with a talent pathway which isn't being met by the TAC?

Rekindle our disastrous link with the Northern Territory. Get a Richmond Indigenous Sponsored academy up there, get the AFL to pay for it like they do the Swans and we send the guys up there every few weeks to run clinics. We pinch any talent that develops through "our hard work". Maybe.

Other than that I get what you mean. Probably couldn't work.

Rekindle our disastrous link with the Northern Territory. Get a Richmond Indigenous Sponsored academy up there, get the AFL to pay for it like they do the Swans and we send the guys up there every few weeks to run clinics. We pinch any talent that develops through "our hard work". Maybe.

Other than that I get what you mean. Probably couldn't work.

For me I look at this thing like taking on a homestay OS student. If you're doing it for the profit, you are going to be disappointed

AFL provide $250k to subsidize the program, so the rest of the cost is born by the clubs. For NSW/QLD this makes sense because in addition to sourcing potential players, they arfe helping develop a growing pop of aussie rules devotees in a hostile market

Off memory (dont quote), the NSW academy has processed over 600 players, for 1 AFL listed player.

So you are looking at something that requires a lot of time and resources, for a very meh return (and even then you have to F/S bid for it)

If we wanted to do this to strengthen ties with the indigenous communities, id say go for it - it will cost us money, but its good for footy to give back. If we wanted to do it to snag cheap players on the sly, I'd say move on

Ok yer fair enough, I didn't realise with all this recent talk of the academy that those clubs had profited so little. If the potential yield could be "accurately" assessed and it did however seem worth it to us I'd love to see us go for it. At the end of the day, money isn't..well shouldn't be our issue anymore...it's all about getting talent in. If there's a way we can somewhat bring in talent to our club before other clubs at a reasonable cost it'd be nice. Sounds like it probably won't be like this.

This from the Age today helps indicate the true cost of the academies:

The Suns invest $300,000 annually into their talent academy on top of the AFL's annual injection of $250,000 which it contributes to each of the four northern academies.

Witheriff’s comments followed Sydney chief Andrew Ireland’s threat to dilute the Swans’ $1 million commitment to the Sydney academy following the AFL’s decision to review the bidding system in the wake of top draft prospect Isaac Heeney.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...intensifies-20140723-zw2jk.html#ixzz38LimzBwd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back