Inner North

Remove this Banner Ad

What I liked was that the players were genuinely upset about the result of the match. It showed that they expected better. Let's hope it hasn't shattered their confidence already. We'll see how good the coaches are at keeping the confidence up when we struggle in some games as we inevitably will. Last year our confidence went early and never recovered.

Episode 3 includes a cameo guest appearance by Jeff Lynne. Clarko's key message: mastering the plans over a period of time.

We are a work in progress, so our expectations need to be realistic. The coaching seems to be very constructive. Partial reinforcement etc.

Nothing like some ‘Mr Blue Sky’ to get everyone up and about, major props to whoever was responsible!

Nothing like some ‘Mr Blue Sky’ to get everyone up and about, major props to whoever was responsible!
Am I the only person in the world who loves ELO but hates Mr Blue Sky? The worst song in their entire catalogue.

And the entirety of Secret Messages.

Discovery wasn’t the best although Shine a Little Love is a cracking song.

There's no right or wrong when it comes to subjective musical opinions but in this instance, you are completely categorically and objectively wrong. Shine A Little Love was the worst and most excessive "disco" track on Discovery and the reason fans renamed the album Disco Very.

There's no right or wrong when it comes to subjective musical opinions but in this instance, you are completely categorically and objectively wrong. Shine A Little Love was the worst and most excessive "disco" track on Discovery and the reason fans renamed the album Disco Very.
I love ELO. Something about Showdown makes me giddy whenever I hear it. I think of the Kingpin sequence when it plays. *ing awesome.

Alternatively you could call it "True North". A series like that could make North a cult club. The climb off the bottom would provide for added interest and keep the audience captivated. North's refusal to go after easy pokies money out of consideration for the community could be highlighted to sell North as a community club that refuses to sell its soul no matter how difficult its financial position. That always gets the public sympathy of the neutrals. I reckon we'd smash our membership record if you could get a series like that off the ground.
They're not in a financial position. Financially, they're the best they've been and are extending the development at Arden Street. I'm smelling a rat, and I'm not just talking about Fred in his cage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was a great in '79 but I thought Hold On Tight a few years later was better. I loved all of the ELO stuff, but as you mentioned it's subjective, a bit like playing. It'll never be everyone's cup of tea.

I thought it was a great in '79 but I thought Hold On Tight a few years later was better. I loved all of the ELO stuff, but as you mentioned it's subjective, a bit like playing. It'll never be everyone's cup of tea.
The odd thing about Hold On Tight is that, while I think it's really good song, it's totally unrepresentative of the concept album TIME from which it was the main single. I love that album.

Clarko identifying that bonar is too reactionary does it for me.
We've been saying it for years and now clarko thinks so too!

Clarko identifying that bonar is too reactionary does it for me.
We've been saying it for years and now clarko thinks so too!
football is a simple game and people like Noble that try and make it otherwise always get found out, The Inner North vids just confirm this.

The odd thing about Hold On Tight is that, while I think it's really good song, it's totally unrepresentative of the concept album TIME from which it was the main single. I love that album.
You have to understand musicians and their thinking. They had an appreciation of the era they were living in, but also an appreciation of what got them interested in the first place - Rock'n'Roll. That's why you heard classical type arrangements and then a Hold On Tight, a basic late 50's 1 4 5.

There you go, subjective as you say, I think Hold on Tight is a terrible song.

Such boring chord progressions which is entirely the opposite of the vast majority of ELO’s catalogue.

You have to understand musicians and their thinking. They had an appreciation of the era they were living in, but also an appreciation of what got them interested in the first place - Rock'n'Roll. That's why you heard classical type arrangements and then a Hold On Tight, a basic late 50's 1 4 5.
There you go, subjective as you say, I think Hold on Tight is a terrible song.

Such boring chord progressions which is entirely the opposite of the vast majority of ELO’s catalogue.

I get what both of you are saying. Jeff Lynne created really interesting albums but on each one he seemed to reserve one slot for an old school rock'n'roll song. On previous albums, he just managed to flip the script a little - Rockaria and Don't Bring Me Down for example. Hold On Tight doesn't have anything to elevate it above the cliche' but lyrically it has a nice sentiment to end that album, which would otherwise have finished on a downer.

They're not in a financial position. Financially, they're the best they've been and are extending the development at Arden Street. I'm smelling a rat, and I'm not just talking about Fred in his cage.
I have no idea what you mean by "I'm smelling a rat, and I'm not just talking about Fred in his cage."
The tough decision not to pursue easy money through the pokies was made and maintained when we had financial difficulties and money/income will always be an issue for the club. The AFL targeted North for relocation because of those difficulties. North has improved its financial stewardship, but the primary reason for the current improved financial position is the Tassie money stream and government grants which have enabled North to develop its state of the art Arden Street facilities. Once Tassie has its own team, the Tassie income stream and memberships will disappear like snow before the sun, which will force the club to find new income streams to replace that money. For a relatively small club, that won't be easy.

Alternatively you could call it "True North". A series like that could make North a cult club. The climb off the bottom would provide for added interest and keep the audience captivated. North's refusal to go after easy pokies money out of consideration for the community could be highlighted to sell North as a community club that refuses to sell its soul no matter how difficult its financial position. That always gets the public sympathy of the neutrals. I reckon we'd smash our membership record if you could get a series like that off the ground.
Agreed. I follow the Mumbai Indians in the IPL solely because of their docuseries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back