AFL Club
Sydney
TuneIn Radio

photo15ub.jpg
photo11k.jpg
photo12id.jpg

photo13t.jpg
photo14ko.jpg

I used to have WunderRadio where I’d listen to the horse racing at work but found it a little bulky and it would drop out regularly.. then I found this handy little app. Basically this application allows you to pick up the internet broadcast streams of countless radio stations across the world. Start off by bookmarking radio stations in your location by utilising it's GPS local search feature.

Included is the very handy ability to record the stream. I find this invaluable when I'm called away at work in the middle of an interview, I can just come back later and revisit it. Once you've recorded a file you can scroll through and fast forward to find the bit you want.

Some other streaming apps you find on the itunes store drop out constantly. This app is very stable. Infact i've never had it crash on me, and as you can see above I recorded over 2 hours of Ray Hadley's show this morning without interruption.

One feature that would have been good is the ability to easily transfer recorded files onto your computer, but this is impossible to do without some crafty handywork as the audio files are actually stored in 30 second clips. So if you're thinking about recording a song and transferring it to your music library, well that’s quite difficult. You'll need some hacking skillz to even find the files.

This one will take a massive chunk out of your monthly MB usage though, so I'd advise using it somewhere you can pick up wifi reception. It also chews through your battery - so leave your phone plugged in if you can.

Since it's not an apple native app, they've included a web browser so you don't have to leave the radio stream.. but you wont ever use this.

Overall this is one of my favourite apps. I've already used it to listen to live streams of AFL, NRL, College football and EPL games, as well as interstate radio whilst driving by plugging it into my cars line-in.

Cost: $2.49

So unlike alot of the other radio apps this one actually does let you listen to live streams of the AFL without going through the AFL website?

I thought the only way to get live streams was to go through FStream and add the link from the AFL website.

N.O.V.A
Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance
By Gameloft
for iPhone and iPod touch
IMG_01591.PNG
details_n.o.v.a.-near-orbit-vanguard-alliance-1.1.0_100922953.jpg

124291.jpg

I recently got NOVA after hearing a lot of good things about it. From friends and the net alike. Straight off the bat, it seems to be a kind of Halo rip off on the iPod/iPhone platform. This is a fully fledged FPS and includes 12 story levels that would usually take between 10 to 20 minutes to complete. So about 3 hours of actual playing time. So that is a fair amount.

Story:

I haven't really been a gamer type as I have got older but this is just a fantastic game in every sense of the word. You play a retired marine Kal Warden, who is thrust back into the world of battle. While Earth is no longer to sustain life. The human race has turned to huge satellites called 'Near Orbitals' to live. Mysteriously a marine ship which had been reported missing has returned as is heading straight for the 'Near Orbitals'. Thus this mystery made the Near Orbitals to band together. To form the NOVA (Near Orbital Vanguard Alliance.) Kal and and NOVA head to investigate the ship. And find a huge alien threat on mankind.

Gameplay:

Okay so with all the sci-fi nerdy storyline out of the way. How does this game play? Well the controls work pretty well. You have 2 methods. The default is where you have two makeshift kind of joysticks, the left one, for movement. And the right, for fire. To aim/look around you just pan your finger across the screen. There are also buttons for jump and performing this stunning technique where a kind of lightning bolt extends out of Kal's hand to stun an alien for a few seconds. This however takes away from your energy. To reload you just tap the weapon icon, and to change weapon you swipe your finger over the icon. The second method is exactly the same except the movement icon isn't fixed in position. There are 6 weapons available throughout the game. A pistol, assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, rocket launcher and plasma rifle. Along with various turrets available at various fixed positions throughout the game. The game plays extremely well. No lag apart from one level where there is a 'storm' and the snow falling seems a bit 'non-flowing'. There are a lot of mini games. Which involve you having to use some brain power to 'hack' these doors, and ammo crates with various procedures. It can get quite tiresome but is a nice addition. And mixes things up a bit.

Graphics\Music

This is the highpoint of the game, the graphics are the best seen on this platform. The textures, detail and general 'feel' of the game is great. The music creates a fantastic atmosphere. So really playing your own music which is a good feature in this game, isn't really needed in the campaign.

Multiplayer

There is an option for online and local multiplayer which is pretty good. The online multiplayer is average and seems to be dominated by NOVA nerds. However playing with your friends is rather fun.

Closing Comments

Overall this game is a great pick up. It is 6 bucks in the app store and for those six bucks you get a great storyline, a long campaign, multiplayer, and some halo like alien ass kicking action.

It's a steal.

$5.99

:thumbsu:

References:

http://www.near-orbit-vanguard-alliance.com/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back