Senior games: 10
Goals: 3
Dreamteam: 496
Supercoach: 515
Club Best and Fairest: 2

6710853321_272d5e6925_z.jpg

Image (2012 preseason) courtesy of Mr Ripper

Better than expected.

When you join a club through the rookie draft, it’s fair to say your expectations are pretty low and Crisp stated that he just wanted to have a good year in the reserves and get elevated to the senior list for the following season. He ended up playing 10 games in his first season which is an impressive achievement. He started off with the type of effort that gets supporters excited. In the NAB cup game against the GC he chased down and tackled David Swallow and earned himself a free kick. He finished the pre-season games with some patches of play that indicated he was a good chance for some games this season.

Crisp was identified by reserves coach Clarke as one of the best midfielders on the ground during the round 2 game against broadbeach which was significant because his grandfather had passed away during the week. He was elevated onto the senior list prior to round 4 for Leuenberger and was named to play his first game in the pineapple grapple.. Finished with 17 disposals and 4 tackles against the suns but unfortunately ended up kicking three behinds. An impressive debut considering how low the expectations are of players from the rookie draft. Crisp played a further two games against the Cats and Bombers but was then dropped back to the reserves but was still an emergency against the pies. His first few games he appeared to lack the finishing skills and perhaps was struggling with the pace.

An injury to his ankle towards the end of May kept him out for a few weeks but he returned to the seniors in round 15 against Sydney. Crisp finished with 10 games for the year which means that he has now worn the no. 47 for the most games overtaking Bernie Harris who had played 7 with Fitzroy. Overall Crisp had an impressive debut year and showed straight away that he has the fitness to play AFL but he needs to work on his finishing skills as he wasn’t very efficient with his disposal of the ball. He is 190cm midfielder, who prior to being drafted was attributed to being a good mark and showed a number of times throughout the year that he knows how to use his pace. At this stage the best type of position for him would be to play on the wing or as a defensive forward. He would be the favourite atm to be elevated off the rookie list. Building up his strength and disposal skills under pressure should be the aim for him over the pre-season and we are likley to see him return to the seniors again next year.

The rookie revolution
10 Dec, 2012

Last year’s recruitment of Jack Crisp has proven to be one of the more recent endorsements for the rookie list.

Despite his impressive credentials as a junior player, it took until Pick No.40 at last year’s Rookie Draft for Crisp to find an AFL home in Brisbane.

He quickly justified his selection by earning a senior call-up in the opening months of the 2012 season, and going to play more matches (10) than any of his fellow draftees (including National Draft selections) from that year.

crisp_singing-c.jpg

I reckon Jack's selection as an emergency is evidence of the high regard he is held at the club.

IIRC, he did not play in any NAB Cup games either, so he is obviously doing something right. If things go well for Jack, I'm hopeful he could be spoken in the same breath as his namesake, Jack Redden.

Reserves Wrap

Harding also heaped praise on best-on-ground Jack Crisp and ruckman Billy Longer’s efforts.

“It was Jack’s best game (for the year) by a mile,” Harding said.

“I was very happy with his game, and watching the playback he was probably even better than I originally thought.

“He was just getting his positioning right in midfield, and showed that he could defend going the other way, which is very important in today’s game.

“I reckon he’s only played 60% of our games this year, even though he’s been fit the whole time, mainly because he’s either been carried-over as insurance for the senior game, or been the travelling emergency.”

I' thought a bit last year that Jack was playing that versatile Rockliff type role last year and I reckon he will get the nod this week. He has obviously been very close on a number of occasions considering he has been names as an emergency 5 times this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been really disappointed with Crisp this year. He has looked like a player with very limited abilities. Not easy coming in for one game stints in the forward pocket, but he really hasn't provided anything to demonstrate that there is something there to work with. Noticed a few comments above comparing him to Rocky. The two players could not be more different if you ask me. Only similarity is they are country Victorians who got overlooked in the draft.

Have been really disappointed with Crisp this year. He has looked like a player with very limited abilities. Not easy coming in for one game stints in the forward pocket, but he really hasn't provided anything to demonstrate that there is something there to work with. Noticed a few comments above comparing him to Rocky. The two players could not be more different if you ask me. Only similarity is they are country Victorians who got overlooked in the draft.

Would have to agree ... he certainly hasn't come on as expected from last year ... then again he's not gungadin. also disappointed with banfield, polec, o'brien, lisle, karnesis, cornelius & longer & their ability to either make the senior side or hold their spot once picked.

I know Vossy likes him from a few things he has said about him in the past - probably for his work ethic at Reserves level and at training, but I haven't seen the spark that suggest he is going to make it.

He is only 19 so I wouldn't write him off, but his stats at AFL level aren't setting the world on fire to say the least. Have a look at the following link and scroll down to see his last five games for the Lions:
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jack_Crisp.html

Total Disposals of 6, 5, 7, 6 and 9.

Playing forward pocket in a team that often struggles to get the ball inside 50 doesn't seem like the opportunity to rack up big numbers

Playing forward pocket in a team that often struggles to get the ball inside 50 doesn't seem like the opportunity to rack up big numbers

There's no point having a forward pocket if they never touch the ball. Either he lacks the footy smarts to know where to run, or the coach is giving him bad directions. I suspect the former, but either way we are getting little value out of his selection.

There's no point having a forward pocket if they never touch the ball. Either he lacks the footy smarts to know where to run, or the coach is giving him bad directions. I suspect the former, but either way we are getting little value out of his selection.
I have only recently come across this site http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117155/Jack-CRISP and find it an interesting read.
Crisp was overlooked in the National Draft of 2011 and selected in the 3rd round of the Rookie draft - It seems on reading the comments in the above link, his talent is above average in the NEAFL and to date still outside our best 22.

Obviously needs to keep improving but in 12 months time [hopefully over the next preseason] I could see him eyeing the forward/back pocket, occasional swing into the mid role that McGrath currently fills.

I was critical of him against Port as I think Lester would have no doubt done a better job but Crisp needs to be cut some slack, he's only very young so he has time to develop. Yes, at this time he is struggling to make an impact at AFL level but I would say he could come on next year with another pre season under his belt, he seems to have good athletic ability and he has that modern day footballer build which will help out. I don't expect him to retain his spot against St. Kilda this week but he's more of a prototype player that needs to be invested into I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back