Height: 174cm
Weight: 68.85kg
DOB: 13/08/1996
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays

B3caF_OCIAE85ik.jpg:large

Pick Me

2014 Highlights

More Links

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-15/quick-smart-skilled-lonie-stars-for-vic-country
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-19/pintsized-with-point-to-prove
http://www.perthnow.com.au/video/id...ack-Lonie?nk=4db385cdbdcaa61cc1c9993fd79a542d
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n-peak-condition/story-fnau1fjg-1227122156621
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...right-afl-future/story-fngnvoeu-1227126988219

Busy small forward who reads the ball exceptionally well off hands, has penetrating left-foot kick and is smart around goal. Averaged 18 touches in 15 matches playing for TAC Cup club Dandenong Stingrays. Excellent for Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, winning the MVP award and averaging 14 disposals, two marks and two goals. Recorded 8.37 sec in the agility run at the NAB AFL Draft Combine. Cousin of former AFL players Nathan (Hawthorn and (Port Adelaide) and Ryan (Collingwood).

AFL dream on Lonie's doorstep: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-28/afl-dream-on-lonies-doorstep-

THE nature of the National Draft means teenagers often have to move to the other side of the country to chase their AFL dreams.

But in Jack Lonie’s case, the commute to his new football home will take no longer than it would to cook his morning toast.

Seaford local Lonie lives no more than a firm drop punt away from Linen House Centre.

He played junior footy and cricket at the Seaford Tigers, winning multiple premierships and best and fairest awards.

Skippos said:
Jack Lonie (Vic Country, Exciting small forward)

174 cm, 69 kg, 13/8/96
Range: 40-60
Style: Hayden Ballantyne

Lonie is an electric small forward with pace, agility, skills and some real x-factor. He takes the game on and loves to break the lines with his ability to dodge and weave through traffic above average. Under pressure he's capable of executing high degree of difficulty kicks with his vision and creativity a highlight. When forward he crumbs well and is a good shot on goal who regularly hits the scoreboard. Despite all that there's just something about him that doesn't sell me and I'm not that certain he'll end up being a high level AFL player.

Evaluation of his prospects: Lonie has a lot of fans and it's not hard to understand why. He's exciting. However at his size I don't think he's actually that elite in many areas and can't see what he'd do at AFL level to maintain his spot as a small forward. If only he had another four inches, I just can't see it in him though. Seems like the typical state league superstar unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

STRENGTHS:
The first thing that stands out with Jack Lonie is his appetite for the contest. The Dandenong Stingrays’ small forward has a fascinating competitive streak, fighting for the ball when it is loose and laying ferocious tackles on opponents who are looking to burst away. Lonie’s appetite for the contest makes an extremely likeable prospect for the Stingrays, and has been a great trait of his game throughout his U18 Championships showings. In a league in which greater emphasis is being placed on defensive pressure around the ground, Lonie will be loved by coaches and fans alike.

Another aspect of Lonie’s game that his draft watchers raving is his kicking, particularly on his preferred left side. Lonie, like many left-footers in the AFL, is an elite kick, he knows how to weight his kicks to team-mates on the lead, but can also drill them in if necessary. Jack is also very creative with the ball in his hands, he puts team-mates in goal-scoring positions and creates scoring opportunities but can also kick goals himself, his goal-sense is first-rate. When he is not inside 50, Lonie can push up on to a wing and into midfield. He is a tough player for his size, as mentioned earlier, and can win a lot of contested ball.

WEAKNESSES:
The biggest downside to Jack Lonie as a player is his size, or lack there-of. Lonie is a very small player, standing at only 174cm. More concerning is his size, Lonie weighed in at 67kg, which would leave him 10-20 kilograms lighter than almost all the small defenders in the AFL. While his competitiveness will not allow Lonie to be physically dominated, it would be very hard to see him ever develop into a marking threat, he would only be able to effect the play at ground level.

Love him, will be our Ballas or Brandon Matera if he can make it at AFL level.

Really like this pick. Kid looks a star.

Wrote this on twitter, but i'm already salivating at the idea of a Billings/Lonie forward line. Amazing skills and have the ability to do the freak things. Our Schneider/Milne of the next decade.

Also, fulfilled our Jack quota for the year so we're going along nicely. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrote this on twitter, but i'm already salivating at the idea of a Billings/Lonie forward line. Amazing skills and have the ability to do the freak things. Our Schneider/Milne of the next decade.

Also, fulfilled our Jack quota for the year so we're going along nicely. :thumbsu:
Was thinking the same when we drafted Lonie

Chance of Schneider now no longer being picked up?....
100%. He'll be picked up sounds like we already all but committed to him. He is also back training with the guys as well as calling members the other night.

Bains said after the draft that we are using a rookie pick on Schneider

Very happy with Lonie, a few others I wouldn't mind at 41 like Cavka but pretty happy. I remember being very interested in him earlier in the year around Championships time, rewatching the highlights I remember why. Also chemistry with McCartin is good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back