Moved Thread Jack Redden's kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Few players improve their kicking throughout their career as much as Redden has already in his time at the Lions. While most not good kicking players tend to be forever stuck with this as a millstone, Redden has been able to redefine him self as someone who is now above average, especially when you consider that he is quite proficient on the left.

He gets into space well and his kicking is great when not under pressure. When he is under pressures though he's pretty good at handballing to someone in a better position.

Jack's been one to try and hit a target anyway even though he is aware kicking is the weak point in his game. Too many players try to disguise their deficiencies by bombing it long into contested situations or moving the ball sideways/backwards so their de% stat stays ok without doing any real damage. Jack at least tries to give the team some impetus and put the ball to advantage and while it doesn't always come off you learn more by occasionally failing in a game situation by allowing yourself to be adventurous and work within your limitations at the same time.

Moloney coming in should give Jack a bit more license to get forward of the contest himself and I wouldn't be surprised to see him kick 20+ goals this coming season.

2012 Highlights:

Few players improve their kicking throughout their career as much as Redden has already in his time at the Lions. While most not good kicking players tend to be forever stuck with this as a millstone, Redden has been able to redefine himself as someone who is now above average, especially when you consider that he is quite proficient on the left.
100% agree with you Grim - if you were only to be shown 3 kicks from PK's highlights package...
  • snap for goal @ 0:40
  • pass to Merrett @ 1:12 and
  • pass to McGrath @ 1:46
Most would be confident in assuming he was a natural left footer.

Just love this young man....he has a lovely open friendly manner about him, always seem to be smiling...

...then there is his footballing ability.....and he's ours!

..what's not to like about him??:D

Just love this young man....he has a lovely open friendly manner about him, always seem to be smiling...

...then there is his footballing ability.....and he's ours!

..what's not to like about him??:D

Can't putt to save himself.

i think this guy is the lions future captain...he does it all..... i reckon he can lead this lions sqad to succes in the future yrs..

Few players improve their kicking throughout their career as much as Redden has already in his time at the Lions.
I suppose the only other one who comes close is Raines. In fact, while not wishing to devalue Redden's improvement, given Raines was not a rookie when he came to us and was at that stage a very unreliable kick, to put it politely, I personally think his improvement is more notable. Raines rarely turns the ball over now and (as some have suggested should be the next step for Redden) he can now go forward and kick telling goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think this guy is the lions future captain...he does it all..... i reckon he can lead this lions sqad to succes in the future yrs..

I love Jack but I just don't see the captain in him.

Not a slight on him, it's not for everyone.

I see him as a bit of a Nigel Lappin type. Works hard, does all the right things but is happy to fly under the radar and let others do the "profile" stuff.

I think alot of the improvement he is looking for is his penetration going forward with accuracy...Good to see he is pushing for improvement, and hopefully stop step to become a side ways kicker like Dal santo and K cornes

While Jack certainly has improved since he first came to the club he can't hold a candle the biggest improver in S.Black. Black was an average kick when first drafted and worked his tail off to become one of/if not THE elite kicks in the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back