Traded James Aish (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

And adding to what I said before, Aish is a quality young prospect but does anyone truly see him as the centrepiece of a midfield that you build a side around? He projects as a 200+ game league footballer no question, but to me seems much more of a Luke Power than a Voss, Akermanis or Black. That's not an insult to Aish or Luke, but losing him seems like it would be more of a PR issue than a disastrous on-field setback.

Would rather lose Aish than Rocky, Hanley, Beams, Rich, Zorko, Redden or Taylor and that is just midfielders.

Imo i think we have a long term offer on the table, hence the delay in re committing. I think the club is wary of him heading home, and rather than offer the standard 1 or 2 year extension, my gut says it's more likely the 3 to 5.
With our recent 2 signings, I'd hope he sees our club as one on the rise with some special times to come from the group thats currently coming through together.
I've said all along, I think he will re sign, and our antsyness comes from majority of the other boys signing extensions early. Fwiw, Cutler hasn't yet either and nothing has been said about him.

Aish did say at the time of draft that moving away from Adelaide gives him a chance to chart his own path. With a deep midfield and club on the up, I believe he'll re-sign and be a part of what we are building.

And adding to what I said before, Aish is a quality young prospect but does anyone truly see him as the centrepiece of a midfield that you build a side around? He projects as a 200+ game league footballer no question, but to me seems much more of a Luke Power than a Voss, Akermanis or Black. That's not an insult to Aish or Luke, but losing him seems like it would be more of a PR issue than a disastrous on-field setback.

Would rather lose Aish than Rocky, Hanley, Beams, Rich, Zorko, Redden or Taylor and that is just midfielders.

Maybe, but a bit too early to say in my view.

Gee TBD - do a very quick reconcile of the Aish year one with us versus the first years of the above, arguably all bar Rich and Taylor had better starts to their careers/age comparisons.

On class already shown by Aish this year, I'm happy in thinking in another three to four years he could be anything, yep, I'm suggesting/thinking a mix of Voss/Black and Lappin type anything!

That's not the point. If aish doesn't want to be here. Then we could have used him as trade bait for collingwood and we would still have pick 5.

If he does leave. I hope we send him to anywhere but Adelaide. Will be glorious viewing for the Adelaide board, at least.

Last edited:
Way to sit on the fence Judge. Give us a verdict!

Judges traditionally reserve their judgments, so I'm just following tradition.

But, on a without prejudice basis.....

I've seen some signs of genuine class with Aish which suggests to me that he might eventually be closer to Black in quality than Power.

So, if push came to shove, and he was prepared to sign a long term contract (for what that's worth nowadays), I'd probably trade Zorko or Taylor before him, and maybe only bias/loyalty would prevent me thinking long and hard about getting rid of Richy or Reddo instead of him if he progresses as I anticipate next year.

Fortunately, I will never have to make that kind of decision myself, and if Aish does decide to leave you'd think that picks rather than players will be involved.

Gee TBD - do a very quick reconcile of the Aish year one with us versus the first years of the above, arguably all bar Rich and Taylor had better starts to their careers/age comparisons.

Yeah I get all that, I just mean in terms of where we are at now and where we are heading. I'd take a Hanley or a Rockliff in the hand any day.

That's not the point. If aish doesn't want to be here. Then we could have used him as trade bait for collingwood and we would still have pick 5.

Whose point? :drunk: I am giving my own.

Firstly, if you read my first post, I said that Aish probably doesn't know what he wants at this stage. I suspect some people (you included) seem to be thinking about his situation in an unrealistic binary fashion. I.e. there are only two possible scenarios... he either wants to be here forever or he wants to leave immediately... absolutely no consideration given to the grey areas in between.

Secondly, how do you know we would have pick 5 still? How do you think it would have all gone done? Aish to Collingwood? Or a three way trade with us getting away with sending Adelaide's 10 to Collingwood instead of our 5? Both pretty fanciful.

Thirdly, even if we take your hypothetical as granted, so what? Since when was pick 5 in this draft such a haunting loss? There is going to be a draft and trade period next year as well, and we will probably be given some sort of reasonable compensation in addition to not setting a dangerous Tom Boyd precedent one year into a draftee's contract. Leppa has done wonders to turn the culture of the place around in a year, I am willing to back him in to retain Aish on the back of another year of redefining the club environment.

Fourthly, contracts seem to be increasingly meaningless anyway, a 2 year contract extension by Aish is not a guarantee of anything anymore anyway. At some point, people need to attain a level of pragmatism proportionate to the evolution of player movement in the modern game.

Last edited:
Whose point? :drunk: I am giving my own.

Firstly, if you read my first post, I said that Aish probably doesn't know what he wants at this stage. I suspect some people (you included) seem to be thinking about his situation in an unrealistic binary fashion. I.e. there are only two possible scenarios... he either wants to be here forever or he wants to leave immediately... absolutely no consideration given to the grey areas in between.

Secondly, how do you know we would have pick 5 still? How do you think it would have all gone done? Aish to Collingwood? Seems unlikely to me.

Thirdly, even if we take your hypothetical as granted, so what? Since when was pick 5 in this draft such a haunting loss? There is going to be a draft and trade period next year as well, and we will probably be given some sort of reasonable compensation in addition to not setting a dangerous Tom Boyd precedent one year into a draftee's contract.

I know there really wasn't a point. I just felt it was a great way to start the sentance :cool:

And i completely understand all of that. And i know what it feels like to not know where you want to be or what you want to do in your life, but if he was feeling uncertain, or if he wasn't overly confident that he will remain at brisbane at the end of next year. He should at least notified the club. "I don't know if he has or not, but it looks like he obviously hasn't"

Collingwood were looking at ready made players, i feel like they would have accepted, Aish + Pick 25 + Jack Crisp. Plus, this years draft is pretty average.

Let's say Aish wants to leave next year. We probably won't get anywhere near pick 5, which is why i would much rather pick 5 then what ever we will end up getting. "Granted if he leaves."

Anyways, obviously he is happy at brisbane and all, and obviously he is deciding where his future remains and i respect that. But, i'm honestly so sick of these home sick players, that i feel like i have to take it out on him, even though he hasn't entirely done anything wrong yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood were looking at ready made players, i feel like they would have accepted, Aish + Pick 25 + Jack Crisp. Plus, this years draft is pretty average.

I have no doubt Collingwood would have accepted that, but what makes you think Aish would have consented to that? Why would a supposedly homesick Adelaide football prince accept a move to a second interstate club within the same 12 month period?

Pickering would have been on the phone within 2 minutes arranging Aish's trade to the Crows.

Anyways, obviously he is happy at brisbane and all, and obviously he is deciding where his future remains and i respect that. But, i'm honestly so sick of these home sick players, that i feel like i have to take it out on him, even though he hasn't entirely done anything wrong yet.

And this is my "point" - people are getting a tad irrational about all this. The game has changed and people need to change their attitudes to compensate, or footy is going to be more painful than enjoyable.

Swann's "we have more salary cap space than I ever ever seen" comment was a massive kickstarter to our trade period but at the same time, it also gives player managers plenty scope to play contract games on behalf of their clients already on our list.

Could very well be what we are seeing here with Pickering. Swann waited until we had most of our young guns signed up before he dropped the bomb, but he basically had to roll the dice with Aish.

I remember the good old days when draftees didn't ever re-sign before their second season and usually not even until the end of their second season. I think I preferred those days.

Whatever happens this off season there probably needs to be a little bit of work in getting him more involved with a few of the other guys if Instagram etc are anything to go buy. Patfull and Moloney seemed to be the main two he tended to hang out with from an outside view. But then again thats all dependent on who posts stuff and who can't be arsed. Given our midfield acquisitions I'm less concerned about the outcome then I was a few months ago thats for sure. Still I think we need to and will be doing everything we can to keep him

What is wrong with you man, you are always so rational with your thinking.:cool:

Whatever happens, we knew the risk we'd be taking when we drafted Aish at Pick 7. There were plenty of whispers @ Draft Time about Aish potential to return home to Adelaide.

I like the kid, but honestly, if he doesn't buy into the culture and want to be here, there's not much we can do about it. At the minimum, we'd get Adelaide's 1st round selection back. I can't see them getting anywhere near the 8 next year.

We are caught in a tough place with drafting. Any club will tell you to take the best talent at the first pick. For us, it was Aish. If we start avoiding kids just because they come from SA or wherever, we will always been branded as a go home club.

We are caught in a tough place with drafting. Any club will tell you to take the best talent at the first pick. For us, it was Aish. If we start avoiding kids just because they come from SA or wherever, we will always been branded as a go home club.

Begs the question...where are we best placed to draft from? Obviously, drafting Queenslanders is our safest bet and and the Academy picks will certainly help in this regard. Following Queensland, I suggest Tasmania and Vic/SA country boys. Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne are probably all problematic for different reasons.

Unfortunately with Dangerfield, Sloane and Walker all potentially considering their futures at the end of next year, Pickering will be advising Aish to wait as he prepares his dossiers on the three of them. On the other hand he may well be preparing a multi year contract for Aish to remain with us, though history with Pickering managed players is obvious.

I was watching replays of the Ferrals v us and Melbourne v us. I find watching replays in the off season are good for reflecting on certain players and I tend to watch them closely. In both games it was interesting in seeing his smarts in positioning during play, has the ability to get on the end of chains and mark in good forward positions.

The other interesting point was his smarts when kicking long to the forwards. Knows where to kick to their advantage, an area we struggle with but will improve greatly next year with the additions and returns as well with natural improvement.

Bloody good player this kid, full of class and will be an elite player of the competition IMO. Must be retained.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back