Traded James Aish (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trust me James Aish will be an absolute legend for Brisbane you supporters are very lucky to have him. I support norwood and he was one of the major influences in our 2012/2013 premierships its sad for me anyway that he will probably never come home again not until his AFL career is finished

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I liked what I saw but "silky smooth" shows how much his reputation precedes him.

There were a few turnovers in there, including a pretty ugly miscued kick that dribbled across the ground. Not a slight on a first gamer at all. He just carries some hype with him.

I liked what I saw but "silky smooth" shows how much his reputation precedes him.

There were a few turnovers in there, including a pretty ugly miscued kick that dribbled across the ground. Not a slight on a first gamer at all. He just carries some hype with him.
To be fair to him, Aish grabbed at his leg and hobbled off after that miscue, if it's the same one I'm thinking of. But I agree with your general point.

Yeah I wouldnt say he was silky smooth in that game, but he looked composed in close and spread well. Picked up a few marks and I thought he was generally in the right areas. Robbo and Aish got a fair bit of the ball in the first gamers group. Aish I though picked good options, just didnt execute, but it was a scrappy game, I think the entire team felt under pressure.

All ive heard about is how silky Aish is, but I havent really seen it as yet, I certainly think that part of his game is overhyped. Upon saying that, its not specifically saying his disposal is elite, its always more about saying he is smooth, or classy. Polec for example I remember as being hyped up about his disposal.

Aish seems the type that will hut his targets, but is not Rich, Hodge or Black. Im thinking maybe Lappin like ? Also noted is that unlike Polec, Aish isnt considered an outside mid. I think he will also be Lappin like in that he is a hybrid, inside or out, noy elite at either, but classy at both, which makes him strong all over the ground.

Constantly think of Luke Power when I see Aish. Small little nimble midfielder who glides through traffic and takes the right options with tidy (if not penetrating) disposal.

Constantly think of Luke Power when I see Aish. Small little nimble midfielder who glides through traffic and takes the right options with tidy (if not penetrating) disposal.

Good comparison, power was neither inside or out, wasnt an elite kick, just very tidy, took the right options. I think Aish does have good game sense, can kick a goal. He will be a fairly high production mid, but im thinking more like Rich, in that he wont be a ball magnet, maybe 20 touches, but those 20 touches will be class and will help the team win. Taylor will be out rack em up type mid, along with Rocky.

Absolutely. Makes space with little, quick movements and then uses the footy efficiently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Aish interview on 5AA

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/audio_james-aish-how-is-he-settling-in-at-brisbane_108245?s=22

Key points:

- settled in well
- training hard but not unexpected
- Leppa bringing new culture and gameplan
- change is exciting
- game v Hawthorn was tough initiation
- game showed him that if he/the team work hard, they'll do well
- SANFL experience helps adjustment to senior footy - players a bit bigger and quicker
- coaches wanted to see how young/fringe players coped and how game plan was implemented - "a few things coming along pretty well"
- completely different game plan to last year, particularly defensively
- good strong core of players - no reason to perform poorly
- Browny in full training now

The part about the game plan being completely different to last year, particularly defensively is interesting. I already thought we would be playing defense fairly different. Under Voss, we went with the extra man back, this meant teams could bring the ball through the middle fairly easy, and often we would have 2 players guarding 3, where if they got stuck going down one wing, they could easily kick it back and across to switch the play. We allowed teams to have this option, in order to have more intercepting power back inside 50. I can't remember the stat, but i know we were one of the better teams at preventing scoring shots once the ball was inside 50, so it obviously worked in theory. From there we move the ball quickly forward with long kicks to the forward line. We were however, heavily scored on from turnovers, and i think this is where we fell apart. When pushing the ball forward, we would often go to contests and we wouldn't have the players there to help crumb or win back the ball. A turn over, often from a bad kick, then usually had our team caught out on the change over from offensive to defensive running, especially being that our defense relied on setting up back in our defensive 50. Turning the ball over meant teams would usually be able to move the ball quickly through our team and produce a scoring shot before our defensive structure was set up.

Under Leppa, it feels like we are ditching the extra defender, to have an extra man around the ball to help win the contests, and as a team collectively, we press up the field and set up our defensive zone across ultimately HF and try lock the ball in up forward once we go inside 50. This i think is tied into our ball movement in transition from defensive to attack, as we move the ball forward, we basically establish our defensive line pretty much where the ball is. Basketball terms, more of a full court press instead of a 3-2 zone and just letting them walk the ball up the other end of the court (field). This is certainly a big change, and would be a big adjustment for the players. I'm really looking forward to seeing how our senior players are able to implement this game plan and see it in action.

The part about the game plan being completely different to last year, particularly defensively is interesting. I already thought we would be playing defense fairly different. Under Voss, we went with the extra man back, this meant teams could bring the ball through the middle fairly easy, and often we would have 2 players guarding 3, where if they got stuck going down one wing, they could easily kick it back and across to switch the play. We allowed teams to have this option, in order to have more intercepting power back inside 50. I can't remember the stat, but i know we were one of the better teams at preventing scoring shots once the ball was inside 50, so it obviously worked in theory. From there we move the ball quickly forward with long kicks to the forward line. We were however, heavily scored on from turnovers, and i think this is where we fell apart. When pushing the ball forward, we would often go to contests and we wouldn't have the players there to help crumb or win back the ball. A turn over, often from a bad kick, then usually had our team caught out on the change over from offensive to defensive running, especially being that our defense relied on setting up back in our defensive 50. Turning the ball over meant teams would usually be able to move the ball quickly through our team and produce a scoring shot before our defensive structure was set up.

Under Leppa, it feels like we are ditching the extra defender, to have an extra man around the ball to help win the contests, and as a team collectively, we press up the field and set up our defensive zone across ultimately HF and try lock the ball in up forward once we go inside 50. This i think is tied into our ball movement in transition from defensive to attack, as we move the ball forward, we basically establish our defensive line pretty much where the ball is. Basketball terms, more of a full court press instead of a 3-2 zone and just letting them walk the ball up the other end of the court (field). This is certainly a big change, and would be a big adjustment for the players. I'm really looking forward to seeing how our senior players are able to implement this game plan and see it in action.
Why is this in James Aish roster watch thread?

Article AFL.com.au

In recent years there’s been something strange about the seventh pick in the AFL National Draft.

Between 2006 and 2008 each player selected with pick seven went on to win the Rising Star Award the following year. First it was Joel Selwood, then Rhys Palmer and finally Daniel Rich. The two ‘number sevens’ before that group have turned into pretty decent footballers too – Paddy Ryder and Jordan Lewis. More recently, youngsters Ollie Wines and Josh Caddy have looked the goods.

Aside from Ryder, they’ve all developed into strong-bodied, combative midfielders.

Though the latest pick seven, Brisbane’s James Aish, isn’t yet as physically developed as those listed above, the early signs are certainly promising.

The 184cm midfielder collected 19 disposals in Brisbane’s 47-point win against Gold Coast on Sunday, and even showed glimpses of his talent in the Lions’ shocking 131-point loss to Hawthorn a week earlier.

Perhaps most pleasingly for Brisbane supporters, it appears Aish will be given plenty of opportunities to develop as a midfielder this season. While many first-year players are eased into AFL, starting as flankers rather than on-ballers, Aish has spent his first pre-season training with the midfield group.

“Dan Rich and Brent Moloney have been a huge help”, Aish told aflplayers.com.au last month.

“They’ve been really good. We’ve been working off each other and they’ve been giving me little tips and hints; just sort-of body positioning and stoppage-work – that sort of thing.”

It’s been good fun, but it certainly hasn’t been easy.

“The toughest part has been physically backing it up every day,” Aish said.

“There are a lot of mornings when you wake up pretty sore from the previous day’s work. But you just have to get through each day and maintain a high standard.”

As challenging as it’s been from a physical perspective, Aish said new coach Justin Leppitsch had found a way to ensure everything the Lions did during their pre-season assisted in learning his new game-plan.

Aish said Leppitsch had “been really good – really organised with his game-plan. He’s brought that in to training really well and we’re implementing it every drill. Every drill has a purpose, which is great.”

The new game-plan initially took some getting used to, but now Aish is looking forward to implementing it.

“I’m probably a little bit naïve, because I didn’t see as much of Brisbane as other teams last year, but I think it should be a pretty exciting style of game-plan,” he said.

“Hopefully we play pretty good, attacking footy, but also a pretty strong, defensively-minded style as well.”

From a personal standpoint, as well as a strategic one, Aish says Leppitsch is a great coach.

“He’s also just really friendly, and communicates really well with all the boys. It just makes it easy to walk around the club.”

Aish’s teammates have also been very welcoming. Since moving across from South Australia, he’s moved in with Daniel Rich and Rohan Bewick.

“I’m learning off them – eating habits and just how to get the best out of myself.”

The Lions will still be pinching themselves that young James Aish slipped through to them at Pick 7. With two years of senor football for Norwood in the SANFL under his belt leading into his maiden AFL season, he looks composed and makes great decisions under pressure. After a 14-disposal game against the Hawks last week, Aish improved his output to 19 possessions against the Suns.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-25/a-lot-to-like-about-lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back