Past James Polkinghorne (2007-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Best seven disposal game I've ever seen. Some brilliant skills on display this week.

Credit where it's due, I honestly thought he'd have decidedly more than that based on his impact on the game. Very solid, though to my mind one good week doesn't exactly erase the weeks of going unsighted.

Gerard Healy was talking about Polkinghorne's goal against West Coast being the goal of the year. It will be hard to beat.

I believe he said "Moment of the Year". Some cruddy dribbling goal will probably win goal of the year.

Gerard Healy was talking about Polkinghorne's goal against West Coast being the goal of the year. It will be hard to beat.

I believe he said "Moment of the Year". Some cruddy dribbling goal will probably win goal of the year.

My cynicism was on target.

Polk's goal didn't make the final 3.

What a joke. I challenge someone to make the case that Rory Sloane's goal was better.

My cynicism was on target.

Polk's goal didn't make the final 3.

I'm confused.

In Round 10, 48% of voting fans decided James Polkinghorne had kicked goal of the week, compared with 31% who voted for Lewis Jetta's running goal.

Yet Jetta's goal in Round 10 makes the final three?

*Sham*

EDIT: Seriously, is that a mistake or what? How does a goal that wasn't even voted 'goal of the week' stay in contention to be 'goal of the year'?..

Further to that in the AFL's 'the 10' from
Rounds 1-10 on their website, Polk's goal didn't even make the top 10! This is appalling, especially when trivial events such as hird being sprayed by bomber thomson's coke bottle make it in. It made me quite irate that's for sure.

Just like Patful not making AA the AFL need to take a good hard look at themselves

Moments of 2012
1 October 2012

Polkinghorne’s torpedo
James Polkinghorne lifted the Lions to one of their best wins for the season in Round 10 against the West Coast Eagles - who were the ladder leaders at the time. In the dying minutes, Polkinghorne roosted a 65m torpedo on the run which sailed through the big sticks and handed his team the lead, and ultimately, the win.

polkinghorne_rich-c.jpg

Injury update from Matt Hass

Polks had three options for his shoulder and luckily for us, the most conservative approach needed to be taken, which was only a minor operation. He’s already back doing strength work and he should be fairly uninterrupted. He’ll also go to Arizona. All of his running and bike work won’t be affected by his shoulder, so he’ll well and truly be ready to go come day one of pre-season.

James Polkinghorne 2012 End of Season Review
by blynd_freddie

2011 review

Senior games: 20
Goals: 13
Dreamteam: 1141
Supercoach: 1150
Club Best and Fairest votes: 8.5

6710879393_9b9188d166_z.jpg

Image (2012 preseason) courtesy of Mr Ripper

I closed off my 2011 James Polkinghorne review with…
Personally, I’m comfortable in giving a pass mark for 2011 but now that he is about to turn 23 years of age and has more than 50 games behind him one would expect the 2012 review to be assessed more stringently on the realisation of results than on signs of potential development.
The James Polkinghorne in 2012 had, in just about every KPI ‘media’ stat available to the public, an ‘in red’ comparison to his 2011 season statistics. Even his increase comparisons, being Frees Against and Clangers, were negatives – Oh, he did slightly improve his Disposal Efficiency percentages by 6.5%.

His first game for the year was a pearler – equal top goal scorer, second highest for clearances, top 5 contested possessions, top 3 for tackles, all of which earned James 3 B&F votes. So what are the missing pieces to his puzzle?

In 2012 James still seemed to be a Voss favourite and why not, his versatility was amazing, he was asked to tag mids like Hayes, Wells and Fyfe, talls of the elk of Richmonds 195cms Post, and Ports Paul Stewart. Be a defensive forward on run and carry halfback types like Birchall, ummm… match up on Jack Watts. He even found himself being counter tagged by the likes of Adam Selwood. He is ‘old school’, he reads the play well, gets to the right positions but just seems a tad slower in split second judgment or decision making which unfortunately gives any advantage back to his opponent – he also rarely offensively hurts the opposition.

For all the variances of roles and the machinations of match-ups, after receiving 3 round one votes in the Melbourne game, he only received another 5.5 votes for the remainder of the season. On reflection, it seems the coaches weren’t impressed with the job Polks was doing as he finished 2012 with only 8.5 votes and equal 20th [2011 – 10.5 votes and 19th] but who is the alternative – when he tweaked his ankle, it was Sheldon?

Okay – to the highlights… round one – the first 4 quarters of what I thought was going to be ‘The Break-Out Season’. Rnd 2: a step-ladder for an Eddie Betts speckie… Rnd 10: The Torp! And another 3 goal game….

I feel it is also worth noting that the games Polks received coach/B&F votes in were the two games against the Doggies, games against Melbourne, Gold Coast and the torp game against West Coast.

In summary I’d just like to quote a BF poster who I respect immensely – Old Den - from an April 2012 post
I think that Polks toughness, skills and ability to kick goals from outside the 50 with either foot is well worth having and he has every chance of a break out period soon.
And most importantly, a solid citizen.
I too believe he is a solid citizen OD but I also believe that in 2012 he was given the nod over some of the younger kids at the selection table due to his size & experience but I am now of the opinion that by the end of 2013 there will be several young-uns with close to, or at least equal ability to James Polkinghorne and unless he does have a 'break-out season' he may well find himself in a similar position to the Sheldon’s, Stiller’s and Hawksley’s of 2012 come the end of the next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2012 countdown: Top 10 AFL goals of the year

10. James Polkinghorne v West Coast

Torpedo punts that sail through the middle are great to watch any time, and even better when your side is less than a goal down with about 30 seconds to play. That's when Polkinghorne pulled this one out of the bag from inside the centre square against the Eagles in June, pulling off one of the upsets of the season

Many hands make light work
January 17, 2013
Sam Lord

Gone are the days when the Brisbane Lions would rely heavily on the output from superstars Simon Black and Jonathan Brown to help lift the team over the line.

That burden has been lifted considerably over the past 12 months, with a number of the Club’s younger players picking up much of the slack both on and off the field.

James Polkinghorne, 23, is among that group of ‘next generation’ of Lions who are now being recognised as more senior members of the playing list.

“The group is definitely more stable now,” Polkinghorne told SEN. “It obviously helps to learn off the likes of (Jonathan) Brown, (Simon) Black, and (Luke) Power. But now we have guys like (Daniel) Rich, (Jack) Redden and (Tom) Rockliff stepping up another notch. And Pearce Hanley’s another one who’s going really well.”

253324-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back