Past Jared Brennan (2003-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Jared Brennan

[FONT=&quot]i am happy to see him go, and good luck to him.
i pose this question on his perceived inconsistency.
was he poorly coached?
or is he un-coachable?

i was told the coaching staff would have to constantly remind him of he physical size and how to best utilise his attribute.

he is a talent, with x factor. but i think he was not/is not a footballer, but an athlete definitely.[/FONT] that said, i have good memories of him keeping tarrent at bay all those years ago.

no. 3 draft pick, & 1 of the few standouts of that draft. Would want some serious compensation.

when you've been in the AFL system for 8 years, you're draft position counts for nothing, it's your achievements on the field that matter... The fact he was a number 3 pick is now irrelevant...

As for Brennan, a question.

He's played midfield for Brisbane with Brown, Fevola/Bradshaw amongst others in the forward line... He has the size to play key forward, how do you think he would go holding down centre half forward?

We need a big bodied forward at the Dees, could he possibly be the answer? Not sure what we'd give you for him to be honest...

when you've been in the AFL system for 8 years, you're draft position counts for nothing, it's your achievements on the field that matter... The fact he was a number 3 pick is now irrelevant...

As for Brennan, a question.

He's played midfield for Brisbane with Brown, Fevola/Bradshaw amongst others in the forward line... He has the size to play key forward, how do you think he would go holding down centre half forward?

We need a big bodied forward at the Dees, could he possibly be the answer? Not sure what we'd give you for him to be honest...

Definitely wouldn't call Jared big bodied. He is certainly a capable forward (kicked 7 against Collingwood a couple of years ago at the G) but don't think he has the mindset/work rate to play permanent CHF. To my understanding, he is pretty set on wanting to finish his career in the midfield.

Definitely wouldn't call Jared big bodied. He is certainly a capable forward (kicked 7 against Collingwood a couple of years ago at the G) but don't think he has the mindset/work rate to play permanent CHF. To my understanding, he is pretty set on wanting to finish his career in the midfield.

Well if he were on the Melbourne list, apart from the ruckman, he'd be our heaviest player if the stats are right... So he'd be big bodied in our side...

He definitely has the talent and the rig to play a Riewoldt style CHF, but as you said, not sure if he has the mindset to play such a role... I imagine if he does leave the Lions however, he'd be more likely to spend more time in the forward line given whatever club it is, their forwards aren't likely to be of the calibre Brisbane has had during his time there...

Link

Jared Brennan made a reasonable fist of the evening, kicking two early goals up forward and contributing around the ground, but is he really worth the reputed half a million he's asking?

Spotted Jared off the side of the huddle post half time. He was not a well boy. Bent over at the waist and I saw a ton of liquid pass from his mouth to the ground. Whether it was him just spitting out a mouthful of fluid or vomiting I'm not sure.

He then staggered around for a while, hands on hips, with a trainer next to him the entire time. Took a few sips of a drink and spat it all out too.

Still managed to get up and about a bit in the 2nd half but something was obviously not well with him to my eyes.

Re: Michael Rischitelli

Mike Sheahan

THE Gold Coast Suns are ready to announce a third signing of an experienced player, but there's a bizarre impediment.

While Michael Rischitelli is believed to be committed to a switch from the Brisbane Lions to the new club, he is uneasy about any announcement until after Brisbane's best-and-fairest count next Thursday night - a count he very well might win.

Despite the fact the Lions tried to shunt him off to Carlton last summer in the early stages of the Fevola deal, it would be decidedly awkward for Rischitelli to accept the club champion award with everyone in the room, including teammates, knowing he is set to defect.

Those harbouring hopes of him staying, best start pre-emptively mourning his departure.

Re: Michael Rischitelli

I'm curious what this means for Brennan. I wouldn't have thought any team other than the GC would succumb to his new pay demands, so presumably a trade is in the offing or Brennan might not be going anywhere.

At the start of the Year I recall hearing Vossy say how happy he was with Brennan and where Brennan was at in his career and his aspirations to be a leader at the Club etc, etc.

While I have been dazzled by Jared's brilliance, I am a substance over style man so he is not in favourites group because he could be so much better.

Having said that and based upon what Voss said, I would be amazed if he left. Rischa is a different kettle of fish and I reckon his decsion was made 10-11 months ago.

Brennan leaving would be a bigger indictment than Rischa.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just gone back three years and looked up the kefuffle around Jared's last contract renegotiation. In a nutshell, Essendon were offering him $900k to $1M over three years (ie $300k to $330k per year), while Brisbane were initially offering somewhere in the $220k to $250k over two years. Melbourne, Richmond and the Bulldogs were also sniffing in the wings, hoping to snare him in the PSD after no trades were effected in trade week.

Presumably, he eventually re-signed with the Lions for somewhere between $250k and $300k per year. Seems reasonable, even low, now.

Reports of wanting $2M over three years for a new contract seem wildly optimistic - the cap hasn't doubled in the past three years, and even though Jared has progessed to a senior player and acheived more than a modicum of consistency, I'm sure that if you looked at the recently announced All-Australian squad of 40 (Jared not amongst them), there would be plenty of players there not getting over $400k a year.

I have no argument with Jared being offered somewhere in the range of $400k to $450k per year by the Lions, but anything more could only be contemplated by a cashed-up GC - other clubs in the running might have to look at what they're paying their own stars (All-Australians included).

If Rischa goes to GC, I'm actually pretty confident that the Lions and Jared will reach agreement. I would classify Jared as pretty equivalent in value to Staker, so I reckon $400k a year all-up is the bottom line.

Reports of wanting $2M over three years for a new contract seem wildly optimistic - the cap hasn't doubled in the past three years, and even though Jared has progessed to a senior player and acheived more than a modicum of consistency, I'm sure that if you looked at the recently announced All-Australian squad of 40 (Jared not amongst them), there would be plenty of players there not getting over $400k a year.

I have no argument with Jared being offered somewhere in the range of $400k to $450k per year by the Lions, but anything more could only be contemplated by a cashed-up GC - other clubs in the running might have to look at what they're paying their own stars (All-Australians included).

If Rischa goes to GC, I'm actually pretty confident that the Lions and Jared will reach agreement. I would classify Jared as pretty equivalent in value to Staker, so I reckon $400k a year all-up is the bottom line.

I reckon that's a pretty good analysis.

And you're right about Brennan progressing to a "senior" player too.

Senior but NOT elite IMHO. (not yet anyway)

$2M over 3 years is way "overs" for Brennan.

If he can get it from GC or elsewhere, good luck to him.

If Brennan wants to leave I would imagine the GC would be his best option for cash, and I really hop so for the Lions sake. We need to get a 1st round pick for him and the Bombers will not be keen to give up theirs. The GC however have a heap of fist round picks and losing one will have minimal impact on them...Personally I hope Rob Kerr is a man of steel and gets us a pick 7 so we at least have a chance of getting Gaff...then at ten we can go for either Polec or Watson.

Brennan if you leave I hope u break a leg

If Brennan wants to leave I would imagine the GC would be his best option for cash, and I really hop so for the Lions sake. We need to get a 1st round pick for him and the Bombers will not be keen to give up theirs. The GC however have a heap of fist round picks and losing one will have minimal impact on them...Personally I hope Rob Kerr is a man of steel and gets us a pick 7 so we at least have a chance of getting Gaff...then at ten we can go for either Polec or Watson.

Poor form :thumbsdown:

If you left your job for better conditions and improved $ to assist you and your family, you wouldn't want people to say that about you.

Disgraceful sentiments. As much as it hurt to see Bradshaw rip us apart this year, I'd still rather to see him fit & healthy & playing well. Same applies for Brennan.

You sound like feral Carlton supporters, who were hoping that Fevola did his knee at the start of the year.

NT Lion ponders a sunny future
EXCLUSIVE by Grey Morris
September 2nd, 2010

The 26-year-old former Southern Districts utility will make up his mind on his football future when he returns to his hometown of Darwin for a post-season break. The Gold Coast and Essendon, the club Brennan barracked for as a child, are believed to be the frontrunners.

"I'm reasonably happy at Brisbane and there's certainly no bad blood there," he told the NT News last night. "But I've got to do what is best for my footy career and my family and if it means leaving the Lions, so be it. I'd have to say I'm looking at a three or four-year deal, one year just won't be good enough."

brennan11.jpg

Disgraceful sentiments. As much as it hurt to see Bradshaw rip us apart this year, I'd still rather to see him fit & healthy & playing well. Same applies for Brennan.

You sound like feral Carlton supporters, who were hoping that Fevola did his knee at the start of the year.

seriously dude it was a joke...how about you try commenting on the topic?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back