Jaxon Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
Weird that Hine-sight is talking him up with the new bidding system. Should be putting some major question marks over his weaknesses!

-----------------------

0,1658,5571620,00.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22093362%5E19897,00.html

Magpies look at recruiting Jaxon Barham
18 July 2007 Herald Sun
Mark Stevens
COLLINGWOOD is eyeing Jaxon Barham, son of legendary wingman Ricky, as a potential father-son recruit.

Potential: Jaxon Barham

Barham, a rapid improver in the TAC Cup this year, has already met the Magpies.

An explosive run-and-carry player like his famous father, Barham is a late bloomer in his first year at elite under-18 level.

Barham was not on show in the recent national under-18 championships because at the age of 19 he was too old.

Each under-18 club is allowed two 19-year-olds and Barham was invited to the Geelong Falcons this year after spending past seasons playing college football and surfing.

Barham has been an instant hit, with one recruiting manager yesterday dubbing him top-20 draft material.

He appears a certainty to be in the AFL system next year - it is just up to Collingwood to decide how much it wants him.

In the past, the Pies would have been able to automatically snare Barham with their third-round pick.

Under new father-son rules this year, clubs will take part in a bidding system.

If, for example, Richmond puts in a bid of pick 18, Collingwood would have to take Barham with its next choice.

If the Pies believe that price is too high to pay and pass, Barham would be headed to Punt Rd.

Adding intrigue to the Barham story is the fact Ricky, who played . . . for the Magpies, is recruiting manager at Sydney.

Barham has the potential to put in a bid for his son, forcing Collingwood to make a call.

Given the buzz surrounding Barham Jr, clubs could start bidding as early as the second round.

Collingwood recruiting manager Derek Hine confirmed last night the club's interest in Barham and conceded he would be on the hit-lists of most clubs.

"We've had an informal chat with Jaxon. No more than we would anyone else," Hine said.

"As we push forward, he would be under consideration.

"He's got his old man's speed. There is a lot of scope for improvement."

Barham, a 183cm midfielder, has worked to improve his one perceived weakness, his kicking.

And Barham is not the only famous name set to become part of the new bidding process.

Essendon has moved a step closer to ensuring the Daniher dynasty continues at Windy Hill.

Darcy Daniher, son of former Essendon and Sydney defender Anthony, is set to take part in some training with the Bombers.

Although Daniher is yet to officially announce his club of choice under the father-son rule, it now appears Essendon is the clear leader.

The 194cm key defender is eligible to go to either the Bombers or Swans under the father-son rule as his father played more than 100 games at both clubs.

But if he picks Essendon, the Dons will have the inside running in what looms as an intriguing bidding process. Some recruiters suggest he is worth a pick in the 30 to 40 range.

Thanks Figgy! Looks like the rumours posted in Future Magpies Watch are confirmed, he has trained with the Pies!

He looks mean in that photo, I love it. :)

Nice to see him with his old man's original number 43
Obviously wants to play at Collingwood and suggestions that
he is a top 20 from one recruiting manager, meaning that if we
get him with 2nd pick anywhere between pick 27-33, that would
be a bonus.

Hmm, in alot of the phantom drafts or just people rating this year's draft prospects, young Jaxon hasn't featured in any of the top 25 talents thus far. Interestingly the Herald Sun rate him, Hine seems to rate him and another clubs recruting manager has dubbed him 'top 20' material.

This whole bidding system will be interesting because it gives other clubs the opportunity to place an early bid forcing the F/S club to use up an earlier than expected draft selection to take the player. It seems Jaxon will be a second round selection minimum at the moment.

dalethomas13;8147899It seems Jaxon will be a second round selection minimum at the moment.[/QUOTE said:
As I said on another board, it may have a downgrading effect.

I reckon that unless you have a Hawkins "slam dunk" type, then the "value" of the player might blow out a bit.

It's all well and good to say he's worth a second or third rounder, but what if you still have someone you rate as a first rounder at your second or third pick (which would happen almost yearly due to the nature of subjective opinion).

All recruiters have the "can't believe he lasted until the second round" mantra going every year. That's the nature of the beast. So why starve yourself of that opportunity to bid for a kid you might rank 20 something, over a "too good to be true" (in your opinion) scenario?

not really, if a club want to call our hand and use a top 10 pick on him, then so bit it, we'll just trade for him in a year or 2 if he wants to play for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All recruiters have the "can't believe he lasted until the second round" mantra going every year. That's the nature of the beast. So why starve yourself of that opportunity to bid for a kid you might rank 20 something, over a "too good to be true" (in your opinion) scenario?

I have thought about this too. It may turnout to have a downgrading effect based on how other clubs rate other players and how keen they are on obtaining them as you have said.

However just wanted to know, if nobody bids can we claim him as late as we want as a F/S selection say even in the 40's or 50's???

I reckon that unless you have a Hawkins "slam dunk" type, then the "value" of the player might blow out a bit.

It's all well and good to say he's worth a second or third rounder, but what if you still have someone you rate as a first rounder at your second or third pick (which would happen almost yearly due to the nature of subjective opinion).

Probably depends on how agressive some clubs want to be with it, a bit like poker isnt it! Most clubs I would imagine would not want to risk a second round in case the cards fell your way & a very good player slips thru to their second round pick which does happen. If you had already used your pick on a second or third rounder you would be spewing & have it hang over your head for years.

Should prove interesting. How many clubs can bid? Or is it first in best dressed. Or simply highest bidder wins. Can imagine w**ker clubs like Port will force the bidding & end up stuck with a player that is not worth the pick they gave up.

Probably depends on how agressive some clubs want to be with it, a bit like poker isnt it! Most clubs I would imagine would not want to risk a second round in case the cards fell your way & a very good player slips thru to their second round pick which does happen. If you had already used your pick on a second or third rounder you would be spewing & have it hang over your head for years.

Should prove interesting. How many clubs can bid? Or is it first in best dressed. Or simply highest bidder wins. Can imagine w**ker clubs like Port will force the bidding & end up stuck with a player that is not worth the pick they gave up.
All clubs can bid.

Not sure of the process, but I presume there will be a secret tender with a cut off date and we get to choose whether he is worth the pick after the highest bid or not. That's my guess anyway, as I think a live Texas Hold 'Em style bidding war, whilst making some potentially interesting television, would be idiotic. :D

Hard to see how it will go, but I anticipate limited first and second round bidding unless you have a Gablett, Hawkins, T-Cloke etc. style of talent. It's pretty much designed for those types who clubs are getting too cheaply and it'll likely average out at third round.

I've pushed for the system for years (by pushing I mean in a footy-nerd message board kind of way!) and think it's a good one. Just wish we weren't one of the first to test it!

I've pushed for the system for years (by pushing I mean in a footy-nerd message board kind of way!) and think it's a good one. Just wish we weren't one of the first to test it!

For a while there i thought you had been in Andrew Demetriou's ear...

I have thought about this too. It may turnout to have a downgrading effect based on how other clubs rate other players and how keen they are on obtaining them as you have said.

However just wanted to know, if nobody bids can we claim him as late as we want as a F/S selection say even in the 40's or 50's???

Yes, whatever our last pick is. Given we may well promote a rookie or 2 it could end up that we use our 3rd round pick. This will obviously depend on retirements & how many we delist, if 6-7 go & no other clubs bid we could pick him up with a 4th or 5th rounder.

May add some spice to trade week as well. If no one bids for a possible f/s then all of a sudden getting a last round pick in a trade may be worth more to a club than it was in the past???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back