Jeff Hogg - dud of the century?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's right. I remember having a huge hangover that day. Got some funny photos somewhere at home too! Who did we beat the day before? Was it after the Adelaide game when Bernie squeezed the sh1t out of Warfey's crook shoulder?

Sorry I fogot, there was another player about the same standard as Nick Mitchell. His name was Darren Payne. They both had their capabilities confused with their aspirations. From memory both of them probably played between 6 - 8 senior games. These twits were an embarrassmentn to the Fitzroy guernsey. They wouldn't have been given a game at any other Club.

At least Jeff Hogg looked like a real player and could put more than two words together to make a sentence ! Off the field, he was actually an asset to the Club and a fantastic Clubman.

Bah Payne (Idi) was better than Hogg, but you're probably right about the number of games.

But compare with Tom Kavanagh and Shayne Stevenson. Both close to our best ever players, yet each only got about 2 senior games. And Paul Mullarvey was never selected once.

Sometimes the selectors are the worst players.

By the way, welcome to the Fitzroy board ... all opinions welcome, whether or not I agree with them :thumbsu:

Fitzroy had a big win in the AFL the day before, some of us (*cough*) only got to sleep around 5am that morning before lobbing for this match :eek:
Poor preparation Mobbs, you would never catch me doing anything as irresponsible as that.:D

I can't bring myself to select a "Worst Ever" player for Fitzroy, they are all heroes to me.:thumbsu:

The comments regarding Gerry McCarthy take me back to 1978. I believe that year not only did we trade Terry Wallace but also refused Terry and Neal Daniher in a trade for John Murphy. I believe we took John Blair and Terry O'Neil instead.

I think the trade was Jeff Hogg in exchange for Paul Broderick, Michael Gale and Matthew Dundas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe he was injured and may not have played a single game. I remember him doing laps of Lakeside regularly during training, but not taking the field.

Remember him playing in the game when we beat the Weagles (who were on top) at Princes Park, when it looked like a beach, to lift us off the bottom in Round 22, 1991 and, causing their destruction in the GF at Waverley. Got it on tape, love going back to watch it now and again, Dean Harding kicked a few from the pocket.

I was sure Donato played about a dozen games, before never being seen again - on the footy field. Incredible to think that a number one draft pick could only manage one season in the big time.

I don't know about the worst, but me and my mates used to think Paul Tilley was one of the funniest.

I remember a Fitzroy game around '85 or '86, might have been seniors, might have been ressies, where a massive brawl broke out at the opposite end of the ground to where Tilley was standing. Tilley started jogging the length of the ground towards the melee, not in any great hurry and by the time he got there the Umpires had restored order and things were starting to settle down again. That is, until he belted an opponent and it was on again.

Very funny stuff.

I don't know about the worst, but me and my mates used to think Paul Tilley was one of the funniest.

I remember a Fitzroy game around '85 or '86, might have been seniors, might have been ressies, where a massive brawl broke out at the opposite end of the ground to where Tilley was standing. Tilley started jogging the length of the ground towards the melee, not in any great hurry and by the time he got there the Umpires had restored order and things were starting to settle down again. That is, until he belted an opponent and it was on again.

Very funny stuff.

Lol. I don't remember that one, but it sounds like Tilley. I remember him fighting with Footscray's Robert Groenewegen, as they each waited to come onto the ground via the interchange area. I also remember when he was in the Under 19's, he brought an esky full of beer to watch Fitzroy seniors play Richmond in a practice match. He then proceeded to hurl abuse at Mark Lee, who had elbowed Brad Gotch early in the game. Robert Walls had to tell him to calm down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back