Retired Joel MacDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

MACDONALD%20Joel.png

Pick#1-Pre-Season Draft (Brisbane Lions)

Number: 28
Height: 188cm
Weight: 87kg
DOB: 10-10-1984
Debut: 2004

Club Profile

Demonwiki

Re: Joel MacDonald

Excuse the intrusion onto your board...

Still gutted that we delisted this guy - he is a genuine bloke and a sensational footballer. Will add so much to any club he goes to. Good luck to you Joel, everything of the best, mate! Hope you have every success (just not against us!)

Has anyone seen him at training etc.? How is he going down in Melbourne?

Still gutted that we delisted this guy - he is a genuine bloke and a sensational footballer. Will add so much to any club he goes to. Good luck to you Joel, everything of the best, mate! Hope you have every success (just not against us!)

He's fitting in well with his new teammates and working very hard at training from what I've heard.

I'm hoping he will relish the added responsibility at Melbourne, given he will be one of the senior figures in our back half.

On a side note, it sounds like you are a massive fan of his. Would you mind giving us a bit of an insight into his game (strengths, weaknesses etc.)?

I've seen him play quite a bit, but obviously not to the same degree as yourself, so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on him?

Thanks ;)

6 January 2010 www.melbournefc.com.au - Macdonald passes on experience to Dees

Assistant coach Mark Williams said the 25-year-old was fitting in very well and had set an impressive standard for a lot of his new teammates in recent weeks.

"He's a very diligent trainer," Williams said. "The blokes really like him ... mainly through his work rate and his actions.

"He's been very focused, has done everything right and has prepared himself really well. In the way he trains, you can see his experience, the games he's played and the way he thinks about the footy.

"He's been working really hard in the gym and he's really been trying to make sure that his actions build respect from the other players."

The Melbourne blokes would also really like Jmac because he's very much a decent bloke as well.

Best of luck Jmac.

Good guy, was one of my favourite players at the club (mainly because he's such a good bloke). Pretty classy, I'll miss his left handed bounces :p

He and Troy Selwood used to run a web series with bits and pieces about the club and the players, he's a funny guy.:thumbsu:

http://www.vimeo.com/macandbunnotv/videos

Wow, this JMac's pre season form for you guys has been great! I still can't believe we delisted him after he played every game for us last season:confused:

I surprised that Brisbane delisted him. Has fitted in well at the club. Might bring some professionalism.

It is worrying how well he plays compared to our other more senior players. There is a surprising lack of accountability within our whole team structure.

Herald Sun - Demon Joel Macdonald sees right signs (Greg Davis) 18 April 2010

The rebounding backman, picked up by the Demons with the No.1 selection in the pre-season draft, has settled in well at Melbourne, playing all games to date.

Macdonald admitted to an initial culture shock that came with transferring from a rugby stronghold to an AFL-mad city.

"I never got recognised in Brisbane but people stop me in the street down here. It was a massive shock at first," he said.

925620-joel-mcdonald.jpg

(photo by Tony Gough for Herald Sun)

Good to see Joel has settled well in Melbourne and doing reasonably well.

melbournefc.com.au - Win up there among best: Macdonald (Matt Burgan) July 25 2010

DEFENDER Joel Macdonald has said Melbourne’s 73-point win over the Sydney Swans at the MCG on Sunday was one of the best wins he has been involved with.

Macdonald, who played 80 matches for Brisbane from 2004-09, before joining Melbourne for the 2010 season, said the victory ranked up there among his most memorable.

“This [win] is definitely up there,” he told melbournefc.com.au post-match.

“We’re starting to make the MCG our fortress, especially with interstate clubs coming down here. I remember when I played for Brisbane and the MCG was a bit of a bogey team for the Lions and me personally, because it’s a bit overwhelming.

“But now the boys just step up when we play at the MCG. We’ve got to do that on the road as well, but it’s becoming a bit of a fortress for us now.”

After coming back from Perth in the early hours last Monday morning - and having endured an 11-point loss to Fremantle at Subiaco Oval - Macdonald said the players still returned with plenty of confidence.

But he added that it took until the morning of the match against the Swans for many Demons to feel fresh and ready to go.

“I don’t think I felt that good until this (Sunday) morning,” Macdonald said.

Copy%20of%20JoelMacL.jpg
source: melbournefc.com.au

Noticed the same thing, his hardness at the ball is not something we've been accustomed to seeing in the red and blue.

Took him half a year to settle in but his last two games have been terrific.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MFC: Pre-season update: McDonald to Sellar

28. Joel Macdonald
Joel’s had a very solid pre-season. He always meets high levels from an endurance perspective. He had a tight back for about two weeks, which interrupted his training, but he’s consistently aggressive and physical. Joel brings a lot to the group from a spiritual sense as well.

– Jade Rawlings

MFC: Heart and soul Joel
Backline coach Jade Rawlings recently told melbournefc.com.au that his pupil Joel Macdonald brought “a lot to the group from a spiritual sense”.

When Macdonald was told these comments, he was somewhat surprised, but genuinely chuffed to hear them.

“If you could look ahead to the end of your career and go ‘what do I want to be known for?’, then it’s nice to be known like that. Even when I first started, you wanted to be respected, trusted and loyal,” Macdonald told melbournefc.com.au.

I loved the part at the end of that article where he said he's proud to be known as a Melbourne player.

MFC: Macdonald gets kick out of US visit
“It was good to train and do my run throughs and kicking on a high school NFL oval. It was also good to watch some college sport,” Macdonald told melbournefc.com.au.

“Jess’ family lives down the road from the local high school and that was what was amazing – a lot of the local high schools have great facilities.

“The NFL ovals have AstroTurf and the grass is in good nick, plus there is an athletics track around it, so it had everything you need for a pre-season program.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back