John Hinge

Remove this Banner Ad

RUTHLESS_RUFUS

Debutant
Oct 3, 2004
Other Teams
PORT POWER
In my eyes this kid is a gun. Has a great attitude on the track and whilst playing, and i see him as the first rookie to be promoted this yr. Any thoughts?

Agree with most of what you said has been an absolute surprise coming straight out of school boy footy however if anyone is upgraded it'll be Ryan Nye. Club has already publicly stated they will be looking to give Nye chances. Having said that i wouldn't mind seeing Hinge play a few games.

PS

Anyone else at the Norwood/North trial rate Griffin as high as i did, for a 196 cm bloke he ran well and took a few good grabs :)

His attack on the ball is great to see, as well as his maturity, especially from someone who has not played senior football yet.

That however could be a problem. His pre-season has been great, but he is yet to play in the SANFL consistently. I'll be looking for some good performances here and there, but I think given his lack of experience in the big league, that he'll float in and out of games at times.

Despite this he's shown tremendous signs throughout the pre-season, and that's definitely a good start.

In fact all of our rookies so far have looked very good. :)

Except Andrew's kicking that is. :eek:

jo172 said:
Agree with most of what you said has been an absolute surprise coming straight out of school boy footy however if anyone is upgraded it'll be Ryan Nye. Club has already publicly stated they will be looking to give Nye chances. Having said that i wouldn't mind seeing Hinge play a few games.

PS

Anyone else at the Norwood/North trial rate Griffin as high as i did, for a 196 cm bloke he ran well and took a few good grabs :)
AFC picked Hinge against Geelong when Nye was also available. That tells me that Hinge is above Nye in pecking order

RUTHLESS_RUFUS said:
In my eyes this kid is a gun. Has a great attitude on the track and whilst playing, and i see him as the first rookie to be promoted this yr. Any thoughts?
agree 100% RR........Hinge could play AFL this year if the opportunity presented....and has shown more so far than a few on our senior list IMO

jo172 said:

PS

Best crop of rookies I can think of on our list for a good while. Can't see any Dabrowski's in this lot.

Nye looks very good at training and the club has a good opinion of him.

Agree with everyone on Hinge - a real goer and very promising.

Griffin really impressed me at Norwood oval. I've never seen a 6'6" HFF before, but that's where he played, and he's very mobile, very agile and a really good kick. Took a couple of good marks and nearly took a lot more.

Andrews rucks and marks okay, but has an absolutely schaisenhausen kicking style.

It'll be interesting watching the development of all 4 of these in The Snaffle this year, as a really good year by any one of them would probably see them promoted to the main list at year end.

Nye impressed me greatly at one training sesssion that i saw.

I kept seeing this dark haired player displaying good skills and pace and running to the right places to get the ball.

Hinge can play as well!!!

We may have a couple of likely lads here!!!!!

bigman said:

I kept seeing this dark haired player displaying good skills and pace and running to the right places to get the ball.

He does stand out doesn't he. Apart from his skills he has the blackest black hair I've ever seen.

bigman said:

Hinge can play as well!!!

We may have a couple of likely lads here!!!!!

i would add Griffin to that as well - he very pleasantly surprised me with the way he played - reminded me of Josh Fraser on a hff

the rookies and young draftees on our list seems to be the best we've had since 1991

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DaveW said:
Would be hard to top 2002. All four of them are on AFL lists currently.
True, but we have beenn ordinary with our rookies apart from 2002 & this years crop are already showing more promising signs than previously listed players. Hopefully at least 2 are worth promoting, as it will allow us to turnover more dud players at the end of the season (than we could otherwise afford to do).

Stiffy_18 said:
AFC picked Hinge against Geelong when Nye was also available. That tells me that Hinge is above Nye in pecking order

I think that's because Nye was struggling with some injuries Stiffy, it would be like picking Thompson for that game. Crows have publicly stated that had they had another pick in the national draft they would of taken Nye.

macca23 said:
He does stand out doesn't he. Apart from his skills he has the blackest black hair I've ever seen.

Agreed. Is that his natural hair colour? Surely not. I reckon that thing reflects light. :eek:

His skills and positioning have been very impressive so far during the pre-season. Definitely a back-pocket, similar to Joel Smith perhaps. I reckon he may not have the pace nor endurance to make it in the midfield, but what he's got is very good IMO. Will be looking for a good year from him at North.

Bockchoy67 said:
Agreed. Is that his natural hair colour? Surely not. I reckon that thing reflects light. :eek:

His skills and positioning have been very impressive so far during the pre-season. Definitely a back-pocket, similar to Joel Smith perhaps. I reckon he may not have the pace nor endurance to make it in the midfield, but what he's got is very good IMO. Will be looking for a good year from him at North.

The trackwatchers say it is his natural colour.

I think you've got him pretty well pegged, judging from my own observations. He looks the pefect back pocket type with a slight doubt as to having the pace to be an AFL mid-fielder.

For all those that say Shirley is a ******** tagger, how would you feel about introducing Hinge to senior AFL footy as a tagger?????

He is tough as nails. He is a tallish player and built very well. Love his courage. Don't know what his aerobic capacity and concentration levels are like but if they are reasonable he could the run with player that we are after :)

Stiffy_18 said:
For all those that say Shirley is a ******** tagger, how would you feel about introducing Hinge to senior AFL footy as a tagger?????

He is tough as nails. He is a tallish player and built very well. Love his courage. Don't know what his aerobic capacity and concentration levels are like but if they are reasonable he could the run with player that we are after :)
Did anyone say Shirley was our only tagging option??

Here's one very good solution, amongst IMO many.

Stiffy_18 said:

Hmm...interesting proposition Stiff. John certainly has the courage and size to be effective in the guts.

However his defensive side is yet to be shown, as he has played midfield/forward for Sacred Heart.

Stats would not suggest that he's up there with the top 5 or so in terms of endurance, but as far as I know its not an issue. If he was to play as a tagger, it might become of slight concern given the amount of running involved.

I would certainly love to have either Hinge as a tagger, or at least play a part in the midfield, in a few years time. :)

Stiffy_18 said:

He'd need a really good pre-season to build up his areobic capacity, Stiffy.

Don't know about his concentration levels.

If they were up to scratch, he'd be an excellent choice as a run with player, because he has size, and loves a scrap for the ball - and can win it.

He just might be a good prospect for this role.

Wayne's-World said:
Did anyone say Shirley was our only tagging option??

Here's one very good solution, amongst IMO many.

Yes, I did. :D

All these other possibilities are post 2005. I can't see one genuine prospect other than Shirley in 2005.

macca23 said:
Yes, I did. :D

All these other possibilities are post 2005. I can't see one genuine prospect other than Shirley in 2005.
Agreed.

Hinge, Nye and others might be a chance down the track but fact is we do NOT have a better tagger than Shirley. Shirley might not be the best footballer going around but he is a good tagger.

Stiffy_18 said:
Agreed.

Hinge, Nye and others might be a chance down the track but fact is we do NOT have a better tagger than Shirley. Shirley might not be the best footballer going around but he is a good tagger.
How can we say this b4 a footy is kicked (and I mean the real stuff).

His PS form has been ordinary at best and we still say he is the ONLY option.

Think we have our heads in the clouds on this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back