Past Jonathan Brown #1 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jonathan Brown

I say if he wants 5 years, give him 5 years. I mean of all people, Browny deserves it and christ he is only 26. There is no need to prolong these protracted negotiations. Even still, I am quitely confident he will remain a lifelong Lion.

i dont see why he couldn't play til atleast 31. even if he has to play closer to goal will less running, he is good enough to have in the side. he has had a lot of injuries in the past, but has been pretty good the past 18 months. maybe all the breaks he had early in his career will be what sees him go one til 31+

Browny going to media about his intention and willingness to stay with the Lions is a sign. Looks like the Lions board is still holding out on him.

My initial thoughts were, no 5 years doesnt matter who it is. but after seeing the big man's influence this weekend, I would be happy to keep him with what he's asking for.

Sign him up ASAP !!

It's probably always a risk signing a player to a 5 year deal. The club wouldn't want another Voss situation, where he retired early but was still on the list.

But then we're talking about the best in the business in Browny! It would be good if they agreed on 4 years.

Browny is only 26. Bernie Quinlan came to Fitzroy at 26 & played his football from that point on. Maybe we could see Browny playing out of the full forward square at 33 ???

It amazes too that a lot of non-Lions people are dismissing Brown's chances of being named in the AA team. He has played 9 games this year. He has booted four bags of 6 goal & a 4. Pretty good form I reckon. :thumbsu:

If he finishes the season anything like he did last year, you'd think he's a pretty good chance. He's started this year in much better form :thumbsu:

Because of the unique situation of our 3peat, any of our premiership players still left, have earnt the right IMO to play out their careers with us at whatever cost...they can't just be dropped off the radar or to just fade away, or worse still, end up at another club........some situations are different and special.......these players left (JB one of them) fall into that catergory.....must be Lions for life, and looked after for their loyalty..

Link

Lions optimistic about injured Brown
June 2, 2008 - 3:29PM

Anyone dubbed "Lethal" is not easily frightened.
But Brisbane Lions coach Leigh Matthews described the sight of key forward Jonathan Brown limping off the field against North Melbourne on Saturday night as "pretty scary".
However, Matthews said he was optimistic about his prized co-captain's chances of overcoming a left knee injury and running out against Fremantle at the Gabba on Sunday.
The Lions held their breath in the third term against North when Brown hyper extended a knee for the second time this season, only to return soon after and finish with six goals in the 31-point win.
McGrath, Josh Drummond and Jason Roe all suffered hamstring injuries against the Kangaroos.
"I am optimistic he will play this week," Matthews said of Brown.
He didn't share that view when he first saw the reigning Coleman Medallist grimace in pain and put in the care of club doctors last Saturday night.
"I asked the medical people again about it this morning. It looks like you are crippled and then 10 minutes later it eased up again," Matthews said of Brown's injury.
"At the time it was pretty scary because it does look severe."

brown4vk8.jpg

Link

Matthews' only quibble was a poor conversion rate after the Lions kicked 21 behinds over the weekend. But he immediately dismissed suggestions that one half of that forward pairing in Brown has a technical issue with his kicking.
The sharp-shooter slotted six majors on the weekend but kicked seven behinds, including three posters.
"He's having a lot of shots from long distance because that's where he's playing now," argued Matthews. "It's an inconsistent art - that's a fact - and the further out you are the more inconsistent you become. He kicked the ball beautifully on Saturday."

brown44gx5.jpg

yeah i agree with that. taking into account that 3 of the 7 were posters and could have been goals, he would have had 9.4. nothing wrong with that radar kicking from just bout 50.

just a lil unlucky. its not like the posters were never on track. i for one just love the fact that he got 13 shots on goal

Link

AFL legend attack talks of lengthy player contracts
Jon Ralph
June 04, 2008 12:00am

AFL legend Kevin Sheedy says the Brisbane Lions must reject Jonathan Brown's demand for a five-year contract. He believes history has shown clubs who sign up players over 25 on five-year deals often regret the decision.
The former Essendon coach was at the centre of a five-year deal given to star Essendon forward Mark Mercuri, which saw the club forced to trade Blake Caracella, Chris Heffernan and Justin Blumfield.
Despite Brown's marketing potential and star power, Sheedy said five-year deals should be scrapped.
"I think it's too long, particularly in a situation where we have two new clubs coming in.
"I wouldn't have anyone on a five-year contract. I never had one and I don't believe in them."
Sheedy said Brown, 26, would have more bargaining power on a shorter contract, with two new licences entering the competition.
He said Mercuri's form had tailed off for a combination of reasons.
"We should never have had Mark on a five-year deal. It cost us three of four players who probably weren't as good as Mark, but kept a good balance on the list - Blumfield, Caracella, and Heffernan."
But most of the men at the centre of modern football's most controversial long-term deals still believe Brown deserves five years.
Carlton's Anthony Koutoufides signed for five years in a deal that was heavily back-ended to help the club, before injury hit him hard.
He eventually extended the deal several times to help out a club in severe financial difficulties.
"Brown is the best in the competition, so for what he has done for the club already, he deserves a five-year contract," Koutoufides said.
"Carlton did it with Chris Judd, so it is not like it isn't possible."
But the Lions are understandably reluctant -- they back-ended Michael Voss' long-term deal and had to pay him nearly $1 million last season, despite him retiring the previous year.
Now Voss is connected to Brown's management company Velocity Sports, as is Alastair Lynch, who signed a ten-year deal with Brisbane that he fulfilled.
Former Essendon chairman Graeme McMahon, with the Bombers during Mercuri's tenure, believes the Lions might bow to Brown's request.
"If Jonathan Brown put his hand up this year and said, 'I will come to Melbourne but I want a five-year contract', the clubs would be queuing up.
"I reckon you would be pretty cautious when a bloke got to 27 or 28 years of age, and it depends what his body is like.

brown39nb0.jpg

Link

How Lethal parted the Red Sea
Mark Stevens
Wednesday, June 04, 2008 at 10:10am

REVOLUTIONARY heat maps have unlocked the secret behind the “Brownshaw Principle”.
The Jonathan Brown/Daniel Bradshaw partnership has produced 76 goals in 10 rounds and Brisbane Lions coach Leigh Matthews has hatched a simple plan to ensure they don’t cramp each other’s style.
Matthews was once lauded as the Messiah after leading Collingwood to a flag in 1990.
Keep this up and the super coach will be known as Moses.
Matthews has managed to part the Red Sea—or the Lions’ forward 50, at least.
Brown goes right and does almost all of his damage 40-55m out from goal.
Bradshaw goes left, wreaking his havoc from 10-45m out.
They cross paths very rarely, debunking the theory that they can’t co-exist.
Champion Data has tracked every “score involvement” from Brown and Bradshaw this season.
A “score involvement” is defined as a possession that directly leads to a score or part of an unbroken chain that ends up in a score.
Score involvements feature in the heat maps, revealing where the twin talls do their best work.
The heat maps, devised by Swinburne University PhD student Karl Jackson, are being used by four clubs to plan for opponents.
“They are a visual representation of the empirical density of the locations of a player’s possessions,” Jackson said yesterday.
“Regions where the player has gained the most possessions are shown as red, with regions of lower possession counts being represented by yellow and light green.
“Dark green represents an area of the ground where that player has not gained any possessions.”
Brown has taken 44 marks inside 50, ranked third in the competition.
Of those, 22 have come on the right side, facing away from goal. Only 14 have been taken in the corridor and only eight on the left side.
Only nine of Brown’s goals have been kicked after leads to the left, which generally suits a left-footer.
Brown loves getting it on the side suiting his right boot.
Ted Hopkins, Champion Data founder and the godfather of detailed stats as we now know them, has been watching Brown’s patterns closely.
“He loves wheeling on to the right and banging it long. The heat maps show it,” Hopkins said.
Bradshaw is almost the complete opposite.
He has taken 20 marks on the left side, 15 in the corridor and only 13 on the right side of the ground favoured by his big mate Browny.
“It is masterly the way Leigh Matthews has worked this out,” Hopkins said.
“They have really got it worked out where their respective hunting territories are.
“When you combine the two heat maps, Brown and Bradshaw have nearly 100 per cent coverage of the forward-50 zone.”

brownshawheatmapsbk1.jpg

Interesting. They have still clashed many times in games.

I also remember seeing a prominent Lions poster start a thread just recently called "Brownshaw".

I also remember seeing a prominent Lions poster start a thread just recently called "Brownshaw".
They seem to clash more when Brown is doubling back into Bradshaw's space. I think it is Browny's work ethic that causes them to collide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They said 'heat' was only given for a 'score involvement'. It seems to me that would by logic tend to exclude times they clash as only one, if either, would get the score involvement. It also seems to me it would exacerbate the 'heat' for their favoured regions.

I'm not so sure about 'prominent' but that would be this thread.

Nobody, but nobody, gets a 5 year deal in this day and age. Wouldn't mind betting they give him 4 years and split the difference.

Link

Brown underwent a light 10 minute skill drill before leaving the Gabba on Wednesday night but the Lions will know more about his availability on Friday.

Link

Give Brown five: Black
Steve Butler
June 5, 2008

Star midfielder Simon Black has called on the club to offer his teammate Jonathan Brown a five-year deal, sparking new life into the controversy over long-term contracts.
Black — himself out of contract at the end of the season — said that at 26 years of age, Brown still had at least five years of high-impact football ahead of him at the top level.
"I'd obviously be really disappointed if he left and I'm hopeful he'll stay," the 2002 Brownlow medallist said.
"Five years? Well he's 26 and he'll be 31 … Lukie Power signed a five-year deal and good luck to him, I can see Browny playing for that long."

brown28us3.jpg

Link

Harvey tipping Brown to miss Dockers clash

Fremantle coach Mark Harvey believes Brisbane skipper Jonathan Brown is only a 50/50 chance at best to take on the Dockers at the Gabba on Sunday afternoon.
Brown injured his knee in the Lions' victory over North Melbourne last week.
Harvey says the Lions' inclusion of ruckman Matt Leuenberger suggests Brown may not play.
"I think there's a suspicion about Brown and whether he's going to play or not, so I think that's why they've brought Leuenberger in," he said.
"I wouldn't think they'd play three talls."

Then again maybe Leuenberger will just be an emergency like he has been the last two weeks.

Chez is at training, reckons Browny has a slight limp.

Will come down to a decision on whether its just a pain issue or whether he'll actually cause damage by playing.

If its the former, he'll probably have an injection and play.

hasn't the berger been an emergence for the past few games ??

doesn't take a genius to figure out clark goes forward and bergs comes in if brown misses, but i though he is always named as emergency anyway. has been polka, berga and stilla if my memory serves me.

either way brown is named, which means they will give him til game day to play anyway.

still think stiller and hawksley will come in, brown will just be a late change if he doesn't get up.

Link

Lions confident of Brown playing

Brisbane co-captain Jonathan Brown looks likely to play against the Dockers on Sunday after training strongly with team-mates this afternoon. Brown injured his knee against the Kangaroos last week, but coach Leigh Matthews says the star forward appears to have recovered quickly.
"It's all been positive, the first thing was how was he Sunday and Monday and how was the bend of his knee," he said.
"That seems to be heaps better than the last time he did something a bit similar."

Link

Brown given green light
June 06, 2008

CHAMPION forward Jonathan Brown has declared himself a certain starter for the Brisbane Lions' AFL clash against Fremantle at the Gabba on Sunday.

Teenager James Hawksley has been handed an AFL debut but all eyes were on Brown as the Lions co-captain recovered from a knee injury.

Brown (knee) and Josh Drummond (hamstring) were also included in the Lions' final 22 named by coach Leigh Matthews.

But Matthews had earlier hinted that a final decision on Brown would not be made until Sunday.

The reigning Coleman Medalist hyper-extended his knee in their 31-point win over North Melbourne last weekend.

After training strongly, the Victorian skipper gave himself the green light for the Dockers' clash.

“It has pulled up quite well, no ill effects. I'm looking forward to getting out on Sunday,'' Brown told Channel Nine.

Matthews has been cautiously optimistic of Brown's availability.

“It's always difficult when you pick a team three days before you play which we have had to do,'' he said.

“It's all been positive (with Brown). He's got to make sure he can run around okay - he will only play if he is right.''

brown6ni5.jpg

Buckley's 10 Toughest Players

JONATHAN BROWN Brisbane Lions
THE big man at the front for the Lions is as intimidating as he is tough.
Has carried injuries through the majority of the last three seasons (that we know of ) and has continued to perform regardless.
One of the few remaining players in the competition that has opponents wondering where he is.
His courage to continually go back with the flight with little regard for his wellbeing easily establishes him in this group.

brown33mm3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back