Retired Jonathan Brown #2 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brown good, omens not so for Bombers
August 20, 2010 - 7:44PM

Brown usually saves his best for the Bombers - and the Lions skipper went as far as rating his eight-goal 2005 heroics against Essendon as his greatest game to date. "It would be hard to top that one, mainly because I had been out for six or seven months after the grand final, had (come back from) a pretty serious knee injury and had trained with the team for a week," Brown said on Friday.

"In `04 I had a lot of suspensions and `05 and `06 my body really let me down, I missed a lot of games due to a pretty serious stress fracture in my back and pelvis, it was pretty uncommon (injury) at the time," he said. "You look back then I was probably at the crossroads. That was probably when I had my doubts (that I would play on) because my body just wasn't standing up to a full season of football and I was only 24 or 25."

brown52.jpg

I know for a fact he hates them. There was a game at Etihad, can't remember exactly when but it was around '02 / '03 when the rivalry was at its highest and it was nigh impossible to get into an Essendon game.

There was a skirmish and Mark McVeigh did something ordinary in a pack.

Brown put the word out that he was prepeared to "do time" in order to settle the dispute. McVeigh has never fired against us since that I can remember.:thumbsu:

All the best for tomorrow Browny. You are an inspiration and I'm sure the team will rally around and I look forward to singing the song once again! (the dog loves singing along too):D

Alistair Lynch

I'm of the view that you should try to win every game you can. That's why Jonathan Brown is playing for the Lions today. He could easily have put the cue in the rack and saved himself for next year, but that sort of concept doesn't sit well with a competitor like Browny.

Brown flattens Bombers in 200th
August 22, 2010 17:00:00

Brown was the star for the visitors with 25 disposals, 16 marks and 4 goals, although he was wayward with the boot in registering six behinds.

jonathanbrown.jpg

Link

As bad as the Bombers were, the day belonged to Brown as he showed no signs of the adductor injury that has plagued his year and produced one of the best individual performances of the year.

Matched up on youngster Michael Hurley, the inspirational skipper booted four goals, had 25 possessions and hauled in a staggering 16 marks, 12 of which came in the first half. And it could have been so much better had he kicked straight with six behinds perhaps taking a bit of the gloss of his game.

brownh.jpg

Lion king mauls young Bombers
Martin Blake
August 23, 2010

Brown had carried his baby daughter Olivia on to the field and through the banner, wearing a maroon and blue guernsey with the words ''My Dad'' and the number 16 on the back. Afterward, he was chuffed, and memorably so. ''Obviously you want to have a good day and hope the team wins, get a good memory I suppose,'' he said. ''I certainly didn't want to play like a busted arse.''

The Lions worshipped at the altar of their storied captain. Before the game, they had watched a video package of highlights of the champion, finishing off with a few fist pumps. Brown has sore groins and a sore right knee and is struggling to get up for games. He had pulled out the week before, and said after yesterday that he felt like a Super Rules player (''play one, miss one''). ''It was a very special day. I got to carry the little girl out through the banner. I'll remember it and I love playing down here. I'm a Victorian boy so it was great to see all the supporters here.''

brown2n.jpg

I blame 'Man Crush' shakes for my lack of quality… but thought I would share one of my photos anyway.

[FONT=&quot]
jb200.jpg
[/FONT]

Quite understandable given the occasion;)....and I was wondering who in the team was going to be strong enough to lift JB!!..I think they were the only 2 capable of lifting the big lug! (said with much :heart::heart::heart:):D

Brown

"Funnily enough I've played all my milestone games in Melbourne."

50th - Round 17, 2002 vs Hawthorn (MCG)
100th - Round 12, 2005 vs Carlton (Telstra Dome)
150th - Round 12, 2008 vs Western Bulldogs (MCG)
200th - Round 21, 2010 vs Essendon (Etihad Stadium)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss

His influence on our team is immense. He makes everyone around him walk taller. The team really looks up to him. He’s our skipper and is an important character for us. You can see when he’s up and going just how formidable he can be as a player. He was a bit disappointed that he couldn’t play last week, so he just wanted to get back out there. He looks a bit sore now, but I’m sure most of our blokes are.”

“We showed a highlight package of him to the team before the game, but Browny’s highlight package goes for a while so we had to condense it down to three minutes. It was more to emphasise the behaviours and actions we’re after out on the field. And you always finish those videos off with the good stuff like a few Browny fist-pumps and the like.”

55dy.jpg

Player to Watch

It was something of a surprise to see Jonathan Brown brought in for his 200th game after struggling with injury, but he certainly showed there was nothing wrong with him in a brilliant effort against Essendon. He booted four goals and took 16 marks against the hapless Michael Hurley.

Swans will flock to Brown

Heath Grundy looms as the most likely match-up for Brown but Malceski said the entire team needed to do its part.

And in all likelihood, that means Malceski will find himself standing in front of an oncoming Brown as the ball is bombed into the Lions' forward 50.

"It's often myself and Marty Mattner and Tadhg (Kennelly) and it is a big job," he said.

The Australian

Malceski and the other defenders have to drop into the zone in front of Brown when he is on the lead. It's a bit like standing in the path of a rampaging bull with your back turned and your arms raised. The impact is ugly and inevitable. You are not allowed to flinch lest your fear be detected by broadcaster and transmitted to opponents. You stand. Wait. And hope you look brave.

Link

RUMOURS that Brisbane superstar Jonathan Brown will miss Saturday night’s clash with Sydney have sparked a betting plunge on the Swans.

“We have heard that Brown will miss the game after pulling up sore and the Swans have firmed from $1.52 into $1.35 with Brisbane drifting from $3.05 from $2.50,” TAB Sportsbet’s Matthew Jenkins said.

Lachlan Henderson

"I am not fast at all and I am not strong yet … but my asset is I can run and I can blow them off a bit," Henderson said. "I am trying to sort of get that Nick Riewoldt sort of thing by blowing players up with my running and I try to use angles like Jonathan Brown because Browny is not fast either but he uses angles really cleverly.''

Link

Brown's stop-start finish to the 2010 season has been a recurring talking point in recent weeks, and after returning from a one-game absence to lead his side past Essendon last weekend, the Lions' captain will see out the season nursing a groin injury on the sidelines.
"It wasn't really worth it after the weekend."
"There's a little bit of soreness in (Brown's) groin, and at this point of the season we just thought we'd give it a miss."
"An extended rest will do him the world of good," said Voss.

Re: Simon Black

If its good enough to ask and expect Simon Black to take a pay cut, then I think it only fair our captain does the same..his pay would take up the largest slice of the pie I would think!

MVP Awards

Retiring Sydney Swan Brett Kirk was named the AFL’s best captain, with 142 votes ahead of Brisbane Lion Jonathan Brown (75) and Carlton’s Chris Judd (73).

brown110.jpg

Link

Jonathan Brown was awarded the Alastair Lynch Trophy as the Club Champion's third place-getter after kicking a team-high 53 goals and taking 40 contested marks in just 16 matches this year.

Brown was the count’s early bolter after polling 13 votes from his first four matches including an impressive 4.5 votes for his seven-goal performance against Carlton back in Round 2 at the Gabba.

The 28 year-old centre half-forward also received the Shaun Hart Most Courageous Player Award and was voted for the second year in-a-row as the Members Player of the Year.

2z594wg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back