Past Jordan 'Moose' Lisle (2011-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

A Jordan Lisle master-class spearheaded the Lions to a comfortable 78-point victory over Redland at Coorparoo on Saturday afternoon. The former Hawk, who’s been up and down from the senior side this year, returned arguably his best showing at NEAFL level, racking up 37 touches, 19 marks, and seven goals; dominating alternating between playing out of the goal square and at centre-half-forward. “Jordan was absolutely outstanding,” enthused Lions mentor Leigh Harding. “He’s been threatening to really take a game by the scruff of the neck for a while, so to see him to do it was very pleasing.”

Jordan Lisle was the dominant player on the ground, producing an individual performance that Harding labelled as ‘one of the best he’d seen’.

“He had 30-odd touches, kicked seven goals and had high-teens in terms of marks – so it was a good solid effort by Jordy,” Harding said.

“He obviously spent time up forward, but because we’ve got quite a few tall forwards, we gave him some time on the wing for a while in the third quarter.”

Lisle has moved into outright third place on the NEAFL goal-kicking leaderboard with 41 goals – but is still 25 goals shy of NT’s Darren Ewing. Teammate Aaron Cornelius is ranked fifth with 35 goals for the season.

This guy will be the future off our forward line, so much potential, it's just unbelievable

what a video, the guy is an absolute gun and ohh boy wowweee, has he amped up his mucles or what?

Future star right here boys!! the crowd will be chanting moose by early next year, whenever he receives the ball

it's hard to comprehend how a guy can be so dominant one week, 39 possessions & seven goals in the reserves, and barely touch the ball & get subbed off the next week in the seniors.

the contrast is just too great to not be a concern.

In the seniors a lot of the time its like Lisle is almost a passive forward who try's to out position defenders a lot of the time. He doesn't attack the ball in the same manner and definitely not at the same frequency as Brown and Merrett (and even Ash). In packs he will create a contest but really that's expected of any forward.

I don't hold the fact that he was subbed against him. That seemed a strategic move and doesn't necessarily mean that he was completely useless. He could have been playing OK and still been given the vest.

A couple of times, Merrett hit a ground contest with intent. He hit in hard, barreled through the pack and got the ball moving. In less than ideal weather conditions, he still played like a big bloke and contributed, even if it was a lot more difficult to take marks. I can't really think of a situation when Lisle did the same.

I have heard it said that "Lisle is not that type of player", as if that forgives a lack of aggression. I can accept that if I can get a better handle of what type of player he is instead. Because he's not quick or agile like Franklin, or have great goal sense like JRiewoldt or springy with a massive engine like NRiewoldt. To me, he is a big boned unit of a forward who still occasionally plays like an 80kg weakling. If he's not hitting packs aggressively and using his size well, then I'm not really sure what he is going to offer because he doesn't have a huge amount going for him otherwise.

If Brown is out, I hope that Voss gives him another game. But Saturday night didn't do him any favours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't hold the fact that he was subbed against him. That seemed a strategic move and doesn't necessarily mean that he was completely useless. He could have been playing OK and still been given the vest.

A couple of times, Merrett hit a ground contest with intent. He hit in hard, barreled through the pack and got the ball moving. In less than ideal weather conditions, he still played like a big bloke and contributed, even if it was a lot more difficult to take marks. I can't really think of a situation when Lisle did the same.

I have heard it said that "Lisle is not that type of player", as if that forgives a lack of aggression. I can accept that if I can get a better handle of what type of player he is instead. Because he's not quick or agile like Franklin, or have great goal sense like JRiewoldt or springy with a massive engine like NRiewoldt. To me, he is a big boned unit of a forward who still occasionally plays like an 80kg weakling. If he's not hitting packs aggressively and using his size well, then I'm not really sure what he is going to offer because he doesn't have a huge amount going for him otherwise.

If Brown is out, I hope that Voss gives him another game. But Saturday night didn't do him any favours.

Agree with all this. He's a bit of a faceless forward that we bring in when someone gets injured, not unlike Cornelius in some ways. He needs to either increase his attack on the footy or become a damn good back up ruck/forward if he's going to make it. I'm not convinced at this point.

I think his biggest strength as a forward his is work at setting up goals. He does well to create a contest, especially in the forward 50, but when he is leading up the ground and becomes that link option, he needs to clunk some marks so we can keep moving the ball. At least up forward if you don't mark it, you can crash the pack a bit and bring the ball down for crumbers, and Lisle is good at staying in the contest gathering the ball and shooting out a hand ball to set up a goal, but i agree he needs to get more physical. Perhaps we need to get everyone at training to start picking on him...

Second time he has played with Brown out of the team and he has been able to kick 3 odd goals and take some good marks. He was hitting contests nice and hard too bringing ball to ground. He isn't the elite key forward we need, but I think he will make a good foil as a 2nd tall.

How good was his marking against Geelong...

Good and bad. When it got bombed on his head he tended to just offer powder puff marking attempts. It's always hard to mark the ball in that situation but he could make it harder for the opposition to defend. With three goals you'd say he's done his job, but he was quiet for much of the game. Probably the most pleasing thing was when he crashed into Mackie. Didn't mark it, didn't even stop Mackie from marking it, but he was prepared to put his body on the line and put some doubts in opponents' minds.

Good and bad. When it got bombed on his head he tended to just offer powder puff marking attempts. It's always hard to mark the ball in that situation but he could make it harder for the opposition to defend. With three goals you'd say he's done his job, but he was quiet for much of the game. Probably the most pleasing thing was when he crashed into Mackie. Didn't mark it, didn't even stop Mackie from marking it, but he was prepared to put his body on the line and put some doubts in opponents' minds.

from me memory he did punch it out of mackies hand and stop him from marking it

Good and bad. When it got bombed on his head he tended to just offer powder puff marking attempts. It's always hard to mark the ball in that situation but he could make it harder for the opposition to defend.

Yep. He tends not to jump at the footy. When he takes a contested mark, it is because of his height and reach, not because he's shown more intent. He's like the big kid in "kick to kick" who just stands there with his arms up, hoping that the ball will stick in his hands.

But not attacking the footy in the air makes you a really passive player. You are far easier to spoil and, more importantly, you aren't physically hitting the opposition in the contest. When you wait for the footy to come to you, you minimise the prospect of either winning or neutralising the contest.

Even though the umpire's call was incorrect, his marking contest against Lonergan was a case in point. Lonergan really attacked the contest and looked like he had won the footy. Lisle had stood there with his arms up and managed to grab a piece of the footy. Sure, Lisle was robbed of the mark but Lonergan was the player who showed intent and looked like he really wanted the footy.

While I was pleased that he was able to have an influence on the contest, I am no closer to being convinced that he's going to develop the requisite mindset to play key forward.

He needs to use his body better to protect the space in front of him and take a diving chest mark if he isn't going to fly at the ball. Standing under it rarely pays off. I do like that he does stand up a bit more with Brown out of the team. He is no ruckman, and needs to be kept out of the ruck though.

Yep. He tends not to jump at the footy. When he takes a contested mark, it is because of his height and reach, not because he's shown more intent. He's like the big kid in "kick to kick" who just stands there with his arms up, hoping that the ball will stick in his hands.

But not attacking the footy in the air makes you a really passive player. You are far easier to spoil and, more importantly, you aren't physically hitting the opposition in the contest. When you wait for the footy to come to you, you minimise the prospect of either winning or neutralising the contest.

Probably the best description of what Lisle lacks. Fevola was one of the best at bursting after the footy, and Lisle is the polar opposite.

Even though the umpire's call was incorrect, his marking contest against Lonergan was a case in point. Lonergan really attacked the contest and looked like he had won the footy. Lisle had stood there with his arms up and managed to grab a piece of the footy. Sure, Lisle was robbed of the mark but Lonergan was the player who showed intent and looked like he really wanted the footy.

Forgot about that. Man in front, ump!

Another contest that comes to mind was when Lisle took a chest mark late in the game. I put it down more to a defensive lapse from Lonergan, than Lisle winning the contest.

While I was pleased that he was able to have an influence on the contest, I am no closer to being convinced that he's going to develop the requisite mindset to play key forward.

I always find myself a bit conflicted after seeing Lisle play. His stats are consistently respectable which gives me hope that there is something there. But then again it's hard to picture the team getting to the next level with such a meek key forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back